Unless I am missing something, there are a few things motorola should change with the droid. one issue is in contacts there is no place to put birthdates, anniversaries or such, kinda defeats the purpose of having a contacts lists in a smart phone, I cant believe they left this out.

the other is the calander, the storm2 when you add in someones birthdate or anniversary in its contacts, it automatically shows up in the calander, or information from their facebook profile and facebook calander, will automatically show up in the calander. Kinda bites that with the new smart phone, they dumb it down by not including these things.
    01-10-10 10:32 PM
    I looked at a couple droid phones and on none of them did I find a way to have custom text tones for different contacts. Is there a droid app that does that?
    01-10-10 11:02 PM
    If u go to the very bottom of the contact right before the google contact section
    there is a more button hit that then there is a not section. Try that
    01-10-10 11:29 PM
    I looked at a couple droid phones and on none of them did I find a way to have custom text tones for different contacts. Is there a droid app that does that?
    U can set a custom ringtone; tap contact in the blk part. Then hit menu button then hit options. It will allow u to set custom ringtone. As far as custom tone for text don't know about that.. Also in that section u can set that contact to go right to voicemail
    01-10-10 11:34 PM
    Unless I am missing something, there are a few things motorola should change with the droid. one issue is in contacts there is no place to put birthdates, anniversaries or such, kinda defeats the purpose of having a contacts lists in a smart phone, I cant believe they left this out.

the other is the calander, the storm2 when you add in someones birthdate or anniversary in its contacts, it automatically shows up in the calander, or information from their facebook profile and facebook calander, will automatically show up in the calander. Kinda bites that with the new smart phone, they dumb it down by not including these things.
    Why is this a problem with Motorola? It's Google's Android operating System.

Handcent SMS allows setting custom notifiers for your contacts.
    01-11-10 01:20 AM
    Its a problem with the phone overall

Why is this a problem with Motorola? It's Google's Android operating System.
    01-11-10 02:37 AM
    2 things I dislike: The ringer volume rocker switch on the upper right side is way too easy to push when I don't want to. In fact, I wish that the ringer volume could not be adjusted with this thing (like on the BB). If I could I would make it not operate at all. I've turned it down to zero before and didn't know it so there was no ring at all. Second is that it's way too easy to inadvertantly select something on a webpage while scrolling down. I wish there were a dead strip down one side for scrolling only. Scrolling is an adventure: you never know what's going to come up next.
    01-11-10 09:55 AM
    I don't like the message details of a text/mms. on the BB it converted the number to contact names.
    Probably the one and only feature I miss from by BB. Its useful when you get a txt that you want to forward but I like to look at the details to make sure that no one in my list has already gotten it.
    01-11-10 10:55 AM
    My biggest criticism of the phone is I don't have one.

....stupid phone.
    01-11-10 11:07 AM
    Had my Droid a week now. I'm seriously thinking about going back to BB. First, there are problems with both the Droid and Google in syncing if you use Windows 7 especially the 64 bit version. Right now, I can sync calendar and contacts with my Exchange server but not my Windows 7 machine at home. BB allowed me to sync with both machines and keep everything up to date. (FYI Google Sync doesn't work well with Windows 7.)

Can't sync the Exchange Task list with Droid.

E-mail account settings are easier to use and change in BB. If you have multiple e-mail accounts the Droid requires you to designate one as the "default" for sending e-mail - regardless of what e-mail account you are reading! Also in Droid you have to set what happens when you delete an e-mail - either it deletes server or handheld but not either or both like BB.

So for someone who uses several e-mail accounts and keeps track of Tasks, Calendar and Contacts on multiple computers the Droid still has issues and the BB is better. Also, Droid doesn't play well with Windows 7 and neither does Google (especially 64 bit computers).

Another 3 weeks and I'll decide on whether or not to change back to BB.

John
    01-11-10 11:22 AM
    Im using Windows 7 64 bit and Google sync works fine for me. My wife's BB calendar sync with Google, which syncs with my Droid, which also syncs with my laptop. Also, I don't have a default Gmail account aside from what I setup the phone initially with. I simply switch accounts and it gets sent from that account.

If you are using the default mail client, I feel bad for you. Does k9mail support exchange? Im assuming it does. Maybe give that a shot.
    01-11-10 11:29 AM
    I have Windows 7 64 bit and Google synchs contacts asap. Don't use the calendar yet. Don't use Exchange, this is a personal phone only.
    01-11-10 01:42 PM
    Its a problem with the phone overall
    Not true. That is a limitation of Android OS at the moment. Thats not something Motorola has control over, so its not a limitation of the PHONE its the OS.
    01-11-10 02:52 PM
    I dont use google and will not use google or gmail

I have Windows 7 64 bit and Google synchs contacts asap. Don't use the calendar yet. Don't use Exchange, this is a personal phone only.
    01-12-10 09:54 PM
    I am using the exact same stuff I use with my storm2 and its calander gets everything. Wish droid was able to do it also.

Im using Windows 7 64 bit and Google sync works fine for me. My wife's BB calendar sync with Google, which syncs with my Droid, which also syncs with my laptop. Also, I don't have a default Gmail account aside from what I setup the phone initially with. I simply switch accounts and it gets sent from that account.

If you are using the default mail client, I feel bad for you. Does k9mail support exchange? Im assuming it does. Maybe give that a shot.
    01-12-10 09:56 PM
    this droid phone is starting to look like a beta. Basic simple things you would expect not there or not working correctly..maybe in the droid2

Had my Droid a week now. I'm seriously thinking about going back to BB. First, there are problems with both the Droid and Google in syncing if you use Windows 7 especially the 64 bit version. Right now, I can sync calendar and contacts with my Exchange server but not my Windows 7 machine at home. BB allowed me to sync with both machines and keep everything up to date. (FYI Google Sync doesn't work well with Windows 7.)

Can't sync the Exchange Task list with Droid.

E-mail account settings are easier to use and change in BB. If you have multiple e-mail accounts the Droid requires you to designate one as the "default" for sending e-mail - regardless of what e-mail account you are reading! Also in Droid you have to set what happens when you delete an e-mail - either it deletes server or handheld but not either or both like BB.

So for someone who uses several e-mail accounts and keeps track of Tasks, Calendar and Contacts on multiple computers the Droid still has issues and the BB is better. Also, Droid doesn't play well with Windows 7 and neither does Google (especially 64 bit computers).

Another 3 weeks and I'll decide on whether or not to change back to BB.

John
    01-12-10 09:58 PM
    Then this phone, or even the Android OS as a whole, is not for you. You are better off using something else.
    01-13-10 10:35 AM
    this droid phone is starting to look like a beta. Basic simple things you would expect not there or not working correctly..maybe in the droid2
    Hmm... That sounds exactly like what was said about the Storm when it was released. People need to realize that just because a company pushes a new product to market doesn't mean all the bugs are worked out. The early adopters are unpaid members of the R&D team. You guys are still giving it the shakedown to make it actually ready for prime time; same as we Storm folks did for the Storm2. They're reading/listening to your complaints and they will, hopefully, be addressed in the next phone.

Good luck on the purchase of the new one!
    01-13-10 10:42 AM
    Will some of these issues possibly be corrected in the official release of 2.1?
    01-13-10 01:38 PM
    Hmm... That sounds exactly like what was said about the Storm when it was released. People need to realize that just because a company pushes a new product to market doesn't mean all the bugs are worked out. The early adopters are unpaid members of the R&D team. You guys are still giving it the shakedown to make it actually ready for prime time; same as we Storm folks did for the Storm2. They're reading/listening to your complaints and they will, hopefully, be addressed in the next phone.

Good luck on the purchase of the new one!
    Its funny because its true. I think for the most part, any new device goes through its first year as a trial. They figure out the bugs and come out with the second device that has all of the fixes. It probably isn't smart to buy a new device so early. Good rule of thumb is to wait until you hear that they have fixed all of the issues. Or, you can buy it and accept that your device may not run perfectly for a while.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-20-10 07:25 PM
    Sooooo.......why did you buy a GOOGLE oriented phone?
    01-21-10 09:55 AM
    Sooooo.......why did you buy a GOOGLE oriented phone?
    I agree, I didn't have a gmail acct until I knew I was going to get this phone. Transition has been flawless. If you don't have a google acct, the basic concept of this phone is null.
    01-21-10 10:44 AM
    I dislike that its ugly as ****. That chin is a real eyesore.
    01-21-10 04:49 PM
    I just enter birthdays in my Google calendar and they populate to my device calendar.

No biggie.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-21-10 06:58 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD