The OS hoopla is just that, hype. 1.5, 2.0, 2.1 whatever. I've never been on OS junkie, but I used to follow all the BB OS threads, how this new one was always "snappier" and "smoother" (where did these terms come from anyway?). And of course they all improved the battery life lol. Then after about a week the same dudes would start complaining about whatever they complained of before, apps didn't work right, battery pulls, the usual. Half of them would roll back. Reviews of 2.1 say it's the same as 2.0 with some new colors, but the hype will live on in forum land. It always does. My pal with a Hero loves it, but he's not a tech geek, just a dude with a new smartphone.
    Last edited by thebignewt; 01-29-10 at 12:42 PM.
    01-29-10 12:38 PM
    Your avatar suits you, sir. You are indeed a clown.
    Ha... I completely forgot I posted in this thread...

I'm going to leave the avatar bashing alone, we both have characters wearing face paint... And I'll leave it at that...

The phone is not outdated, at all. I have been running 1.6, 2.1, whatever I want, whenever I want. HTC will be releasing sense with 2.1 in March for the GSM, and seeing how the 1.5 kernel which lacked CDMA support had to be jury rigged to work, and the new kernel has CDMA support, the Sprint release will not be far behind.

I just don't get what all the fuss is. They are all Android phones, so one is slightly, yes, slightly faster. For all the fuss people are making, the differences in speed are fairly negligible. I mean, I might have to wait 5 more seconds for a web page to load, OMFG!!!! NOT FIVE SECONDS.
    Compared to an entire carrier's device line up, I guess the Hero still might have some **** to it when you blow the dust off it, but really, its being very quickly surpassed in the mobile phone world; especially on the Android side of things...

If you really think browser speed is the only "slight" difference between the Hero and the high end Android phones, you're terribly misinformed. As I'm sure there are dozens of threads comparing the specs, I really don't feel the need to go into detail, but I can say for certain that the high end Android's are far more efficient than the Hero and its spin offs. The older Android's tend to bog down quite a bit even with only a few apps open, almost to the point where deciding whether or not to open a new application becomes a dilemma. Though I guess when comparing this to the rate at which the Pre opens even the most basic applications, the Hero might still seem fast to some.

The bottom line is for anyone interested in an Android phone, don't listen to me, or the clown. Just get a phone you like, and don't worry about keeping up with the Jones', its just not possible. The Hero/Eris/MyTouch/Droid/Nexus One, whatever. They are all essentially the same function wise. If you feel that you have to have the newest best thing, get a Nexus when it comes to a better network, or get the Android device that YOU like the best. Everyone has bias, just make your decision based on all the information that is available, and what you like aesthetically in the phone.
    Thanks for rephrasing my first post, at least the part about not being able to keep up with the rate at which mobile technology is growing. As far as saying all Android phones are all essentially the same... Not so much. Thats' like saying all Windows Mobile phones are the same. While they have the same OS at heart, the Q and Touch Pro 2 are not in the same league...

Though I do have to agree with picking what suits your needs and meets what you value. They are after all, only mobile devices...

I personally am going to skip on the Nexus One, as there are some HTC devices, with Sense, coming soon that will share similar (or better) specs than the Nexus One. Sense really does make Android a much more friendly and classy user experience, and if it can surpass the Droid's internals, its a must have...

There's also this Devour coming out for Verizon. Midline phone with Moto Blur... I've had limited time with it, so really can't comment on how usable it is....

Don't let people tell you that the hardware on the Hero/Eris/MyTouch, isnt capable, its more than capable, and with the custom ROM's I run, I'd put my phone up against any of the other Droids as far as "snappiness", or whatever you want to call it.
    Capable? Yes... But there are ROM's for the Droid that would put any other Android phone to shame...
    Last edited by R.O.C.; 02-10-10 at 05:13 AM.
    02-10-10 05:01 AM
    The Hero was okay for me. I loved it when I first got it. However I continued to have problems with not getting text messages and it was a nightmare to download or view my MMS messages. After several resets and learning how to navigate the touchscreen I realized I liked the iPhone so much better so I sold mine. It's a pretty cool phone though with a lot of good apps.
    02-15-10 09:37 AM
    This past weekend I switched from a BB Curve 8330 to the Hero. So far, I love it. I've not noticed any lag with receiving my email - and as a forum admin, I do need to keep track of that email account and have access to that forum. The larger screen is a definite plus.

Customizing it was a easy. I was able to put my most used widgets on the homepage, my calender one flick to the left, and my bookmarks one flick to the right. The Hero eliminated the extra pages, so I have one empty page one extra flick over from the calender and one extra flick over from my bookmarks.

It's been no trouble getting used to the touchscreen keyboard. The apps are great and I easily found ones to replace the ones I had on my Curve. Connection time to the Internet has been faster on the Hero than it was on the Curve.

All in all, I am very pleased with my choice.
    02-15-10 07:50 PM
    I switched to the Hero just yesterday from blackberry 9700. I feel like a hypocrite. I thought that there was no place for me in andRoid market even though I use Google services and applications. I have been very pleased with the device thus far. The battery life wasn't the greatest today, but it did last for an entire work day. Really, thats all I need. The phonetic just better. I hate to say it but it is true. I haven't even missed BBM. I thought I would, but I dont. The email looks waybetter and the customization options make this device very attractive.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-15-10 10:01 PM
    I'm getting a Hero in a couple of weeks.

I've read a ton on it and what to do with it.

As soon I get it home and charged:
    1. Root it.
    2. Install Fresh ROM.
    3. Install Gumbo Kernal.
    4. Install Set CPU.
    *These 4 things reportedly work wonders with the phone.

You can search on Google and learn more.

02-15-10 11:55 PM
    The OS hoopla is just that, hype. 1.5, 2.0, 2.1 whatever. I've never been on OS junkie, but I used to follow all the BB OS threads, how this new one was always "snappier" and "smoother" (where did these terms come from anyway?). And of course they all improved the battery life lol. Then after about a week the same dudes would start complaining about whatever they complained of before, apps didn't work right, battery pulls, the usual. Half of them would roll back. Reviews of 2.1 say it's the same as 2.0 with some new colors, but the hype will live on in forum land. It always does. My pal with a Hero loves it, but he's not a tech geek, just a dude with a new smartphone.
    you aren't going to get through to these people. They aren't happy with what they have In front of them. Everything has to he better the latest and greatest. Ofit isn't , they will complain. I know because I am fighting that now. I'm trying become "the dude with a new smartphone" and thats it. There will be so anymore Android devices coming out this year that we won't be able to keep up. So no need in trying. Your friend will enjoy his smartphone because he appreciates what it is now. That's what is important.

02-16-10 05:18 AM
    I switched to the Hero just yesterday from blackberry 9700. I feel like a hypocrite. I thought that there was no place for me in andRoid market even though I use Google services and applications. I have been very pleased with the device thus far. The battery life wasn't the greatest today, but it did last for an entire work day. Really, thats all I need. The phonetic just better. I hate to say it but it is true. I haven't even missed BBM. I thought I would, but I dont. The email looks waybetter and the customization options make this device very attractive.

I am also switching from the 9700 to the Hero. Gotta leave ATT for Sprint to take advantage of an employee discount. My Hero is on order and hopefully it will be here this week. Looking forward to working with the Android OS and I am worried about missing BBM. Hopefully Android has a messenger/chat style that will work out for me.
    02-16-10 07:13 AM
    and with the custom ROM's I run, I'd put my phone up against any of the other Droids as far as "snappiness", or whatever you want to call it.
    Bring it on

I guarantee your Hero can't handle my Droid at stock speed with my own custom ROM, much less when I have it clocked at 1ghz.

You have some seriously wishful thinking going on right there.
    02-16-10 10:07 AM
    I went from the Tour to the Hero (on Sprint) and but I found myself missing my BB so I bought a 9700 (T-Mobile).

I liked the Hero at first. It is a fun little device...good web browsing experience, nice social network integration and the Android OS is pretty nice. It really came in handy one time I had to take a flight as I used it to watch The Hangover. I'd rate it a little behind the iphone as far as touchscreen devices.

What I didn't like about the Hero (and what ultimately led me to sell the device) was the lag...it's horrible. I'd get this weird delay when someone called where it would ring at least 2 or 3 times on their end before it would ring once on mine, missed/late texts, and a few second delay when switching between applications. I tried rooting my phone because I read that it would make it perform MUCH faster, but that's not completely true. I'd say that it somewhat improves the performance of the Hero, but not by all that much.

At the end of the day, I realized that I just missed the reliability and sturdiness of Blackberry phones. I get more accomplished on Qwerty keyboards and I don't know why but I really missed BBM lol.
    02-17-10 10:25 AM
    There can be lag on the device. I have noticed It with the keyboard. I type really fast but there are many instances where the device cant keep up. Other than that and the battery life, I have no complaints. There are trade-offs. I sacrifice messaging and battery life for a better all around device.

Last edited by dwaynewilliams; 02-20-10 at 06:07 PM.
    02-20-10 06:05 PM
    i'm getting a hero in a couple of weeks.

I've read a ton on it and what to do with it.

As soon i get it home and charged:
    1. Root it.
    2. Install fresh rom.
    3. Install gumbo kernal.
    4. Install set cpu.
    *these 4 things reportedly work wonders with the phone.

You can search on google and learn more.

Posted from my crackberry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    sounds like a homemade soup recipe to me. :/

02-20-10 06:10 PM
    There can be lag on the device. I have noticed It with the keyboard. I type really fast but there are many instances where the device cant keep up. Other than that and the battery life, I have no complaints. There are trade-offs. I sacrifice messaging and battery life for a better all around device.

The Hero's hardware isn't good enough for the Hero's software, that's why you are seeing lag. This has been a big complaint about the device since the Euro model was released.
    02-20-10 06:24 PM
    The Hero's hardware isn't good enough for the Hero's software, that's why you are seeing lag. This has been a big complaint about the device since the Euro model was released.
    I'm hoping that the 2.1 update will cure some of the ails I'm experiencing with the device, but I still think that the Hero is a great device. I've always been able to identify all of the bugs and quirks with any device. No matter the phone (iphone, BB, HTC, Samsung) I have been able to find issues with either the OS or the hardware. It just comes with the business of buying a smartphone. There will always be an issue. And if there really isn't one, consumers will create it.
    02-21-10 12:42 PM
    I'm hoping that the 2.1 update will cure some of the ails I'm experiencing with the device, but I still think that the Hero is a great device. I've always been able to identify all of the bugs and quirks with any device. No matter the phone (iphone, BB, HTC, Samsung) I have been able to find issues with either the OS or the hardware. It just comes with the business of buying a smartphone. There will always be an issue. And if there really isn't one, consumers will create it.
    Hopefully the 2.1 update does help, but I wouldn't count on it too much. Have you tried rooting and installing a ROM/overclocking yet? That should definitely help.
    02-21-10 12:49 PM
    Hopefully the 2.1 update does help, but I wouldn't count on it too much. Have you tried rooting and installing a ROM/overclocking yet? That should definitely help.
    It's not that serious. I don't need to root. I will patiently wait for the update if it doesn't do the trick, I think that I can live with the quirks until I'm due to get another device. I really enjoy the Hero. One of the most enjoyable devices I have ever owned.

02-21-10 12:56 PM
    It's not that serious. I don't need to root. I will patiently wait for the update if it doesn't do the trick, I think that I can live with the quirks until I'm due to get another device. I really enjoy the Hero. One of the most enjoyable devices I have ever owned.

I hear ya. It is a painless process if you ever want to try it though. Good luck with the Hero. I would take a look into the SuperSonic when it is approaching release.
    02-21-10 01:41 PM
    I hear ya. It is a painless process if you ever want to try it though. Good luck with the Hero. I would take a look into the SuperSonic when it is approaching release.
    I have heard some things about the supersonic. If it comes out within the next thirty days, I may take my Hero back and pick up that device. But until then, I am happy with my Hero.

02-21-10 07:41 PM
43 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD