Your Smartphone’s Battery Gauge is Lying to You (and it’s not such a bad thing) | Android Phone Fans

After reading that, I have a hard time believing the 10% drain from 100% � 90% is purposely designed to do so. I love my Evo (& not giving it up) but this is a flaw I have only seen on Android devices. My Blackberry doesn�t have this charging issue and their battery�s don�t suffer from any form of �corrosion� over time as this article indicates. Neither do iPhones. I really think the manufacturers need to step their game up and instead of investing all their resources into faster processors, give us some longer battery life technology in our Android devices.

What are you guys experiences regarding the 10% drain?
    12-26-10 01:23 AM
    My thought is this, because it drops in increments of 10%, it would not show 100% after unplug because from then on you are now depleting the battery. When you see it go from 100% to 90% within 10 minutes, it might actually be at 97% but it's not 100%. I have also noticed it will stay at the 90% mark for longer...like 30/45 minutes or so with regular use, maybe quicker with heavy use. I have access to a charger at home and work, and an extended battery in use when I am not charging it, so to me it really doesn't matter. I do plug it in when I can to make sure it's always "full" but I do not bump charge because I really don't need to. What needs to happen is this IMO, with the advancement of phone technology, we need to see an improvement in battery technology as well or larger batteries that come standard to accommodate our power hungry beasts.
    12-26-10 01:39 AM
    My thought is this, because it drops in increments of 10%, it would not show 100% after unplug because from then on you are now depleting the battery. When you see it go from 100% to 90% within 10 minutes, it might actually be at 97% but it's not 100%. I have also noticed it will stay at the 90% mark for longer...like 30/45 minutes or so with regular use, maybe quicker with heavy use. I have access to a charger at home and work, and an extended battery in use when I am not charging it, so to me it really doesn't matter. I do plug it in when I can to make sure it's always "full" but I do not bump charge because I really don't need to. What needs to happen is this IMO, with the advancement of phone technology, we need to see an improvement in battery technology as well or larger batteries that come standard to accommodate our power hungry beasts.
    I agree with this

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-26-10 01:55 AM
    the 10% fast loss is due to lack of trickle charge after battery reaches 100% so it drains while on charger which is a major flaw HTC has not yet fixed.
    The good news is HTC EVO development communitys so freaking big a fix can be had

Stock battery 3G use:
    Ive been sending a few text , a couple short phone calls, Received 5 emails , Sent 2 emails , 5 min web browsing , WeatherBug Elite GPS Auto update every hour , Took a couple pictures & lots of waking up device scrolling around HTC Sense checking friend stream etc.

This is the result

ROOTED EVO USERS:
    To obtain such result you need kernel that gets the job done the right way providing trickle charge.
    [KERNEL][SENSE] - SBC. Update: 12/25/10! Everything v7-BC kernel v8! - xda-developers

Adding a custom Rom to the mix will make battery life and performance even better.
    EVO 4G Android Development - xda-developers

ROOTED Dinc USERS:
    Trickle charge kernels in testing phase.
    [KERNEL][AOSP][TESTING] Superior Battery Charging- 12/25/10 update! - xda-developers

ANDROID ROCKS!!!!
    Last edited by Slingbox; 12-28-10 at 11:18 PM. Reason: Link fix
    12-28-10 08:19 PM
    I have Zero problem with two Android devices's battery life. But FACT- HD7's battery life is WORST POOR than android phones..
    12-28-10 08:51 PM
    My device shows 100% until I actually hit 90%. Even if the device is at 95% it will show 100%.
    12-28-10 09:07 PM
    I kind of wish they accounted for 1% increments
    12-28-10 09:38 PM
    I kind of wish they accounted for 1% increments
    yeah Moto Droid battery reading is old school.
    I'm very surprised moto developers haven't adjusted that.
    12-28-10 09:44 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD