This isn't meant as another thread that can be found with a search button. I'm using a BB Tour and I've had issues with a fluctuating signal and many "Searching for CDMA" in areas where coverage is great. I'm going to have to pay FULL retail for this device but I'm more than willing to if this phone has no such issues.

Any help is appreciated. I played with one in store today and it was a blast. I had a G1 before coming to Verizon so I'm familiar with Android.
    11-08-09 01:25 AM
    This isn't meant as another thread that can be found with a search button. I'm using a BB Tour and I've had issues with a fluctuating signal and many "Searching for CDMA" in areas where coverage is great. I'm going to have to pay FULL retail for this device but I'm more than willing to if this phone has no such issues.

Any help is appreciated. I played with one in store today and it was a blast. I had a G1 before coming to Verizon so I'm familiar with Android.
    Only thing I can say is that I have no regrets about leaving my Tour or BB. This phone is amazing and gets better every hour I mess with it. Market is great for all kinds of apps. I can type extremely fast on the virtual keyboard (pay not attention to the people that say it wont keep up since that is complete BS!!!) and the pull out keyboard is nowhere near as bad as some like to say.

Camera does have focus issues, but this is known and supposed to be fixed fairly soon.

There is not much this phone cant do....
    11-08-09 04:06 AM
    Only thing I can say is that I have no regrets about leaving my Tour or BB. This phone is amazing and gets better every hour I mess with it. Market is great for all kinds of apps. I can type extremely fast on the virtual keyboard (pay not attention to the people that say it wont keep up since that is complete BS!!!) and the pull out keyboard is nowhere near as bad as some like to say.

Camera does have focus issues, but this is known and supposed to be fixed fairly soon.

There is not much this phone cant do....
    I've always loved Android so I've been thinking about buying one all day as I saw one at Verizon. I figure if I can't stop thinking about it I may need to do it. Two quick question though. I forgot to pay attention at Verizon but is the screen glass to prevent scratches? I'm not a HUGE fan of belt holsters and more of a pocket kind of guy. I don't keep anything but the phone in one of the pockets but I'd hate for the screen to be sensitive.

And my friend said it is slow on him at times. He isn't a smart phone genius as it's his first so I question his ideas. I tested out the on screen keyboard and it worked fine in store.
    Last edited by Eclipse2K; 11-08-09 at 04:17 AM.
    11-08-09 04:11 AM
    Everyone says the screen is glass, but I'm going to say that I don't believe that is the case. I think the screen is some kind of tough plastic like polycarbonate or is a lexan-like material.

If you are worried about scratching the screen, put a good quality screen protector on it and carry the phone with the screen side facing you.
    11-08-09 05:46 AM
    Everyone says the screen is glass, but I'm going to say that I don't believe that is the case. I think the screen is some kind of tough plastic like polycarbonate or is a lexan-like material.

If you are worried about scratching the screen, put a good quality screen protector on it and carry the phone with the screen side facing you.
    Negative. The screen is glass.
    11-08-09 05:51 AM
    Looks like a great phone! i won't consider switching to it though because it's not a world phone that's too bad.

So far, the reviews seem to be overwhelmingly positive. i'm interested to hear about the apps.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-08-09 06:05 AM
    Negative. The screen is glass.
    Again, I will have to disagree with you.

I have an iPod Touch and that screen is definitely glass. The Droid's screen feels entirely different, and looks entirely different.

As I sit in front of my computer monitor, in my dimly lit room, if I hold the two screens at an angle so that I see the computer screen image "mirrored" in the screens, the Touch's screen is absolutely flat and has a mirror smooth finish. The Droid's screen is different, and even shows some kind of chromatic banding pattern in the reflected image.

Furthermore, the Touch's screen is cool to the touch (like glass), and the Droid's screen is "warmer" (like plastic).

Edit: While I appreciate that the Droid would have exuded more quality with a glass screen, it would've made the Droid even heavier than it already is.
    Last edited by xliderider; 11-08-09 at 06:10 AM.
    11-08-09 06:06 AM
    Again, I will have to disagree with you.

I have an iPod Touch and that screen is definitely glass. The Droid's screen feels entirely different, and looks entirely different.

As I sit in front of my computer monitor, in my dimly lit room, if I hold the two screens at an angle so that I see the computer screen image "mirrored" in the screens, the Touch's screen is absolutely flat and has a mirror smooth finish. The Droid's screen is different, and even shows some kind of chromatic banding pattern in the reflected image.

Furthermore, the Touch's screen is cool to the touch (like glass), and the Droid's screen is "warmer" (like plastic).

Edit: While I appreciate that the Droid would have exuded more quality with a glass screen, it would've made the Droid even heavier than it already is.
    I just did a search through the Motorola forums, and while I did not see my question answered directly, I found this posted by the forums manager (A Motorola employee): We do not recommend using a screen protector on the DROID because it does impact the touch sensitivity. In fact, Verizon agreed with that so you must have run into an agent who missed that memo. The glass on the DROID is pretty durable. I would return the screen protector.[/I]

Again, not definitive proof but we can agree to disagree until proof can be obtained.
    11-08-09 06:39 AM
    I just did a search through the Motorola forums, and while I did not see my question answered directly, I found this posted by the forums manager (A Motorola employee): We do not recommend using a screen protector on the DROID because it does impact the touch sensitivity. In fact, Verizon agreed with that so you must have run into an agent who missed that memo. The glass on the DROID is pretty durable. I would return the screen protector.[/I]

Again, not definitive proof but we can agree to disagree until proof can be obtained.
    Yeah, it's cool.

I guess we are going to have to wait till someone inevitably drops their Droid to find out.
    11-08-09 12:56 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD