I'm seriously considering the EVO. I went to the local Best Buy and played w/the phone. It's pretty awesome!!! I don't plan to buy another phone until around Nov/Dec, & just had a few questions:

(1) I see that the EVO has 1g of memory (512mb storage) which is significantly less than the competing Vzw Droid. Why would Sprint offer n awesome phone w/such little memory ?
    (2) Can someone speculate on how many "additional" apps they have and their remaining memory so that I can estimate how many apps the phone can hold? I do understand that w/Fryo upgrade, you now have the ability to store apps on the SD card.
    (3) was it a hard adjustment going from the large BB Tour (or comparably sized BB) to the even larger EVO?
    (4) Does anyone know if Sprint is offering any newer Droids within the next 4-6 months - Should I wait or take the plunge?
    Thanks for your input.
    08-06-10 03:44 PM
    All do respect, I think your question should be on the Android central site.
    08-06-10 05:27 PM
    I posted a similar question on the Android site, but wanted some input from former BB members, if possible.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-06-10 05:52 PM
    i've been with bb since the 8310 curve jumped to 9000 then the 9700, then i got my hands on a n1 w/ 2.2 os and i made the jump to the samsung captivate.. the size comparing to bb is night and day, the evo won't fit in most jean pockets but for women that usually not the issue since they have a purse.. As far as how many apps you can load i'm not to sure i about 15 apps on my phone now and still have plenty of memory.. sprint will have the galaxy s 4g out this month which is the same as the captivate(att) and vibrant(t-mo)
    08-06-10 06:13 PM
    Go for it! I switched from Verizon coming from my latest S2 which I liked a lot but Evo just kicks ****! Now with 2.2 Froyo it is very fast while it has minor issues that HTC is working on for a quick patch. The 4.3 screen is amazing and you can actually view it in sunlight. I hardly ever take my laptop out anymore while traveling or vacationing. It is really a good phone. One thing though, you won;t have the battery life that you have on your BB right as the big screen can chew-up battery and also it is a mini PC so it does a heck of a lot more than the BB. I got a Netbook and that only gets me about 6 to 8 hours and not really working hard and the Evo has basically about same size processor so if I get 10 to 14 hours I am happy. I got a set of Chinese batteries and charger for 10 bucks off Ebay and that really helps but most of the time I can plug in the car or office to top it off. I have yet to run out of juice and have gotten as much as 30 plus hours on light use. I got my wife one and she loves it coming form an Env2 she can't imagine going back to a dumb phone! LOL.
    Ton of apps and I got about 70 installed and still have about 200mbs free, With Froyo you will be able to move apps to sdcard soon as developers update apps so you will never run out of space. I hope that helps. Oh yeah, did I mention the 2 free navigation apps! LOL
    08-06-10 06:46 PM
    I'm seriously considering the EVO. I went to the local Best Buy and played w/the phone. It's pretty awesome!!! I don't plan to buy another phone until around Nov/Dec, & just had a few questions:

(1) I see that the EVO has 1g of memory (512mb storage) which is significantly less than the competing Vzw Droid. Why would Sprint offer n awesome phone w/such little memory ?
    (2) Can someone speculate on how many "additional" apps they have and their remaining memory so that I can estimate how many apps the phone can hold? I do understand that w/Fryo upgrade, you now have the ability to store apps on the SD card.
    (3) was it a hard adjustment going from the large BB Tour (or comparably sized BB) to the even larger EVO?
    (4) Does anyone know if Sprint is offering any newer Droids within the next 4-6 months - Should I wait or take the plunge?
    Thanks for your input.
    1. 512mb is enough since most apps are only a 200kb-5mb(although some games are 10mb or so)
    2. I currently have around 50 downloaded apps and still have 300mb free(it came with around 400 out the box)
    3.For me the adjustment was easier then expected it really isn't that big after you used it for a couple days, but if its not as easy for you thats why you have a 30 day trial period.
    4. its Android not Droid but they have the Samsung Epic 4g coming out within the next month or so.
    08-06-10 09:36 PM
    The EVO is the best device that I have ever owned. I would highly recommend it to anyone.
    08-08-10 03:54 AM
    I made the switch from a 9630.I was and still am not a fan off touch screen. But the swift app helped alot. Hopefully the Epic 4G is released within my 30day window just in case. But as of now its worth the switch.
    08-08-10 06:03 PM
    EVO's memory can be expanded via memory card. The upgraded OS allows for apps to be stored on SD card (though the app developers have to coed for it).

I have seen folks say they were able to load just under 200 apps on the regular, built-in memory before low memory warnings started.
    08-09-10 12:16 AM
    EVO's memory can be expanded via memory card. The upgraded OS allows for apps to be stored on SD card (though the app developers have to coed for it).

I have seen folks say they were able to load just under 200 apps on the regular, built-in memory before low memory warnings started.
    08-09-10 12:50 AM
    Diva

I switched form a Tour to EVO.. While App's and all things android appear to be working seemlessly I've found the follwing minor issue that bug me

1.) Sometimes I disconnect during a call.. I'm sure it has something to do with the touchscreen
    2.) The Evo is slightly bigger than the Tour but I still carry in my pocket
    3.) touchscreen typing.. just something to get used too no deal breaker

Overall I found the EVO to be hands down a better Social Device and a even call as a business device

Good luck
    08-09-10 07:40 AM

Thanks for your input.
    (1) I have TONS (over 60 I believe) of apps installed, and still have about 200mb of free space. The internal storage does not look like it will be an issue for me. With the Froyo update, I will have the option of installing apps to the SD card for the really large ones.

(2) see above ^

(3) I, too, thought that the size may be an issue (I also came from a 9630). But once I had the phone and used it for a few days, I can't imaging having a phone with a smaller screen again, it is just perfect. The phone fits in my pocket comfortably (even with a seidio hard case on it). The Evo is quite thin, so it doesn't add much bulk to my pocket at all. I am very happy with the size, even after looking at the Incredible, I think that the Evo screen is perfect, others are too small.

(4) I believe Sprint will be offering a new Samsung droid phone soon. I'm not 100% on all the specs, but I don't think it has a forward facing camera. Even though there is not yet a Sype video chat app for the Evo yet, I think that the forward facing camera is going to become standard on high-end smartphones.... I am glad that I have it, just wish that I could use it for Skype.

I was a BB user for a couple of years, and I loved the messaging on the BB. Unfortunately, I think that the Evo wins on just about everything else. Media, app selection, speed, hardware/software makes a big difference for everything else. I am loving Android. I have had this phone for 2 months now and I am still in awe just like day 1. Usually, with new gadgets, I will be in the honeymoon phase for a few weeks, but the Evo is just amazing...

My only major complaint is that out of the box, the phone needs to be tweaked in a few areas to prevent battery drain. When I first got it, there were lots of apps/accounts that were set to sync constantly, and I found my battery getting low a little sooner than I would like. After changing these settings, I can easily get over 24 hours with moderate use, though I do plug my phone in every night, I have forgotten a couple times and woke in the morning to my phone sitting at 50%. If you are a heavy user, and are unable to plug in during the day, you may want to consider a higher capacity battery, or a spare.

BTW my moderate usage is by no means "conservative". I talk about 30 mins on the phone, send 20-30 texts, 10-15 emails, check twitter about once per hour, watch a few youtube videos, and browse the web for 30-40 minutes. I have a wifi signal for most of my day though (work/home) and leaving wifi on and not using 3G helps the battery a great deal. I do not know how well the battery would do using only 3G data all day.

Good luck!
    08-09-10 09:03 AM
    My only major complaint is that out of the box, the phone needs to be tweaked in a few areas to prevent battery drain. When I first got it, there were lots of apps/accounts that were set to sync constantly, and I found my battery getting low a little sooner than I would like. After changing these settings, I can easily get over 24 hours with moderate use, though I do plug my phone in every night, I have forgotten a couple times and woke in the morning to my phone sitting at 50%. If you are a heavy user, and are unable to plug in during the day, you may want to consider a higher capacity battery, or a spare.

BTW my moderate usage is by no means "conservative". I talk about 30 mins on the phone, send 20-30 texts, 10-15 emails, check twitter about once per hour, watch a few youtube videos, and browse the web for 30-40 minutes. I have a wifi signal for most of my day though (work/home) and leaving wifi on and not using 3G helps the battery a great deal. I do not know how well the battery would do using only 3G data all day.

Good luck![/QUOTE]

Can you post a few of your suggestions for improving battery tips! I'm lucky to get 6 to 8 hours

Thanks!
    08-09-10 09:18 AM
    (4) I believe Sprint will be offering a new Samsung droid phone soon. I'm not 100% on all the specs, but I don't think it has a forward facing camera. Even though there is not yet a Sype video chat app for the Evo yet, I think that the forward facing camera is going to become standard on high-end smartphones.... I am glad that I have it, just wish that I could use it for Skype.

Good luck!
    Thanks so much. I just checked online and they estimate that the Samsung Epic 4g will be released within the next few weeks. I checked the specs listed & saw that it does have a front camera for video conferencing. The major differences are the Epic has WiFi for 802.11 b/g/n, slide & virtual keyboard (this is great for me transitioning from BB), 5mp camera (vs. 8mp on EVO), & the front camera is VGA (vs. EVOs 1.3mgp). I don't know if the VGA vs. 1.3mp front-camera is a make or break deal.

I too am a major texter & frequent the social network sites.

1 more question - Can someone jump in let me know if my SocialScope account will work on the Android? I currently have an account, but when I signed up, I had to note that I was using BB. I requested another SS invite for Android just in case.
    08-09-10 09:46 AM
    Thanks so much. I just checked online and they estimate that the Samsung Epic 4g will be released within the next few weeks. I checked the specs listed & saw that it does have a front camera for video conferencing. The major differences are the Epic has WiFi for 802.11 b/g/n, slide & virtual keyboard (this is great for me transitioning from BB), 5mp camera (vs. 8mp on EVO), & the front camera is VGA (vs. EVOs 1.3mgp). I don't know if the VGA vs. 1.3mp front-camera is a make or break deal.

I too am a major texter & frequent the social network sites.

1 more question - Can someone jump in let me know if my SocialScope account will work on the Android? I currently have an account, but when I signed up, I had to note that I was using BB. I requested another SS invite for Android just in case.
    The iPhones front facing camera is VGA and it take excellent video. The reviews I have seen using "FaceTime" are very good quality. I'm sure the one on the Epic will be near the same quality.

I don't know if SocialScope is available for Android, but I also do not use FaceBook/Twitter.
    08-09-10 09:59 AM

Can you post a few of your suggestions for improving battery tips! I'm lucky to get 6 to 8 hours

Thanks!
    Here are a few tips, but if you visit some of the android forums you will see this discussed at length. Also, keep in mind that I have a wifi signal for most (75% or more) of my day. Using only 3G data will be different.

1) Google Talk is set up by default to automatically sign you in. I do not use GTalk, so I opened the app, went into settings, and unselected the auto sign in, and signed out.

2) The Sprint Zone app is also full of crap that updates in the background constantly. Open the app, go to options, and un-check everything that you see. Save, and exit. I believe there were about 6-8 different items that were set to update every hour by default.

3) Go to settings > accounts and sync > change options in each account to what you need. By default, there is a Stocks app that updates, Facebook is probably set to hourly sync, News, and Weather are probably also set to automatically sync every hour. I do not need anything but my Gmail syncing constantly, so I disabled most of these, my weather updates every 6 hours.

4) If you use wifi during the day, go into the wireless and networks settings > wifi > advanced settings and change the wifi sleep policy to "NEVER". I leave my wifi on pretty much all the time, unless I know that I will be away from a wifi signal all day, then I use one of my widgets to switch it off.

5) I don't use live wallpapers because I have heard from others that it consumes battery power (makes sense to me) so I use a static wallpaper image, even though the live wallpapers are awesome.

6) I set my screen timeout to 30 seconds, but use auto-brightness.

7) I use Gmail (google apps account) so my email is automatically pushed to my device. I am sure that if you are using a POP email, the phone is probably polling servers at a given interval to check for mail. I imagine the latter will also affect your battery.

8) I keep GPS and Bluetooth switched off for the most part. I rarely need these radios turned on at all. And when I need them, the widgets on my home screen make it quite painless to quickly turn them on. Some will say, however, that leaving these extra radios turned on will not affect battery life if they are not actively being used by an app, but I turn them off anyway.

9) I do not use a task killer. I have one installed on my Evo just in case an app hangs or acts up on me. But I let android manage my apps for me. At first it didn't make any sense to me how random apps would open on their own, and it pissed me off for a while. After I stopped opening ATK and killing off apps, I don't even think about it anymore. Seems to do just fine without my interaction.

Sorry for hi-jacking the thread, just wanted to share some insight into what you should expect if you get an Evo. I also suggest reading some of the countless threads on the android forums. You will see this topic discussed at great length. Even after altering these settings, some people have reported still getting bad battery life. I have been more than satisfied thus far, and my battery lasts just fine. Considering all the extra cool things you will be doing with your Evo, the battery life is quite good IMO compared to my BB. If I used my BB Tour to do the same things, the battery would die even faster.

EDIT: One more thing, open each of your installed apps and check the settings menu. I have noticed some apps, once installed, are automatically set to do some sort of update or sync in the background. This is what I hate about android, so many things set by default to drain your battery.
    Last edited by eye4ni; 08-09-10 at 10:06 AM.
    08-09-10 10:01 AM
    The iPhones front facing camera is VGA and it take excellent video. The reviews I have seen using "FaceTime" are very good quality. I'm sure the one on the Epic will be near the same quality.

I don't know if SocialScope is available for Android, but I also do not use FaceBook/Twitter.
    Good to know regarding the VGA.

I know that SS must support android software because when I went to their website & requested an invite, it asked had a drop down for your phone - i.e. BB, Android, iPhone, etc. I was just wondering if I can use my current login will work for the Android.

I have seen the iPhone commercials about the video conference and it really looks cool. Now....my assumption regarding the video conferencing is that both phones must have video conferencing capability? not that both phones must be on Android platform? (i.e., I will be able to videoconference an iPhone user as long as both phones have this capability?)
    08-09-10 10:44 AM
    There is no Socialscope client for Android currently.
    08-09-10 11:14 AM
    Thanks for your input.
    Check out this link: http://forums.crackberry.com/f169/sp...yboard-483520/
    08-09-10 03:08 PM
    patiently awaiting for the release of the Samsung Epic.
    08-10-10 08:03 AM
    I can't do Samsung, with all their GPS shenanigans.
    08-10-10 10:15 AM
    I can't do Samsung, with all their GPS shenanigans.
    just had to laugh lol
    08-10-10 01:47 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD