For the longest time I went with the popular logic that when Apple expanded to Verizon, and then other carriers that Android will feel the pain as many people would defect to the iPhone. As a three time Android user (Droid, X, Fascinate) and someone who loves Android, I myself am going to the iPhone 4 next month. For me, it works better since I use a Mac and already have all of my media in iTunes. But I still would like to get a Thunderbolt when it's released as I'm contemplating developing for Android at some point in the future.

Now why am I singing a different tune about Android losing ground? While not a scientific measure by any means, when looking at Verizon users, I am seeing A LOT of Android users being pretty vocal about sticking with the Android platform, not quite as many people professing their desire to hop from Android to iPhone, and still a lot of people looking to move from other platforms to Android. And the amazing thing is these are not the stereotypical Android geeks saying this. I have seen a lot of women, girls, mothers, business men, etc etc people from all walks of life all saying the same thing.

Pretty interesting and not what I expected. I'm also seeing the same thing for Sprint users and I think a lot of Sprint users are even more devoted to Android. So I don't look for Android's momentum to slow up too much in the coming months.
    01-25-11 08:14 PM
    I will NOT be standing in line for an iphone on feb 10th. I'm not anti-apple I own an ipad and love it but the HTC Thunderbolt and Motorola Bionic look like better devices, and they're 4g and the iphone is not. Initially the iphone will do very well on verizon but its just 1 iphone vs 15 to 20 android phones. I don't see android losing too much ground.
    01-25-11 09:30 PM
    I will NOT be standing in line for an iphone on feb 10th. I'm not anti-apple I own an ipad and love it but the HTC Thunderbolt and Motorola Bionic look like better devices, and they're 4g and the iphone is not. Initially the iphone will do very well on verizon but its just 1 iphone vs 15 to 20 android phones. I don't see android losing too much ground.
    that is a HUGE advantage for the Androids on Verizon--lack of a 4G iPhone. Of course, that will change in the not-distant future, but Steve Jobs won't EVER make an iPhone that this old guy would want to own. I don't like being hobbled by HIS ideas of what I can do with a smartphone's browser. And I DESPISE the notification system which is like that on my Touch. Sucks, big time. Annoying. Stupid, for a company that prides itself on interfaces.
    01-25-11 10:04 PM
    that is a HUGE advantage for the Androids on Verizon--lack of a 4G iPhone. Of course, that will change in the not-distant future, but Steve Jobs won't EVER make an iPhone that this old guy would want to own. I don't like being hobbled by HIS ideas of what I can do with a smartphone's browser. And I DESPISE the notification system which is like that on my Touch. Sucks, big time. Annoying. Stupid, for a company that prides itself on interfaces.
    Yea that is one thing I just cannot understand about the iPhone. How hard is it to at least put in a notification LED?
    01-26-11 06:34 AM
    Second thought? J/K jo jo
    01-26-11 08:38 AM
    I think one of the points that AT&T is going to make about the Vzw iPhone is the lack of Voice+ Data at the same time when using 3G. Of course, it's not an issue if you are also connected to wifi, but AT&T will still push that point.

LTE is supposed to be able to do simultaneous Voice+Data, along with being faster than 3G. If 3G/CDMA simultaneous voice+data becomes an issue with the Vzw iPhone, it should be easy for LTE Android devices to use that to their advantage as well.
    01-26-11 04:23 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD