I'm doing something I never in my life thought I'd ever do.....I'm trying out a Motorola Atrix. A friend showed me hers and I was floored by some of the features, namely the fingerprint secure ID and the reported nine hours talk time.
    I'd intended to get an iP5 later this year, but this phone may have trumped that. We'll see how things go at the end of the 29 days....

Anyway, I'm having some difficulty in finding a screenshot app. My Atrix is not rooted. Any suggestions?
    03-29-11 06:16 AM
    Unfortunately unless you root the device, the only way to get screen shots would be by hooking your device up to the computer, and using the Android SDK to capture the screen image.
    03-29-11 07:18 AM
    Oooops....well, that's too bad. Thanks for the quick response!
    03-29-11 07:28 AM
    I wonder why there are no screen shot apps for unrooted phones.

It seems like an easy app to write. What's the deal?
    03-29-11 08:01 AM
    I wonder why there are no screen shot apps for unrooted phones.

It seems like an easy app to write. What's the deal?
    It beats the **** out of me.. I've been pondering that question for a while now.

OP, you can try ShootMe... it's been reported to work on some devices without root. Try your luck.
    Chrisy likes this.
    03-29-11 08:05 AM
    It does have something to do with security, I have questioned it many times myself, but it needs to access lower level graphics, and without root permissions you are not able to do that from the device.
    03-29-11 08:16 AM
    Security? Then it is even more strange that Blackberry has tons of screen shot apps!
    03-29-11 08:29 AM
    Different levels of access on each platform required to capture the screen.

It can be done, but would have to be done by the device MFG, like HTC or Motorola, and they would need to update that component each time they updated their code, which they have no interest.

For example the Samsung Galaxy Tab can take a SS without root.
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    03-29-11 08:39 AM
    I don't see why this is a security issue. On iphone all you need to is press power and home button and it takes a screen shot. I don't know why this is a big deal on android when its so easy on blackberry and iphone.
    03-29-11 09:58 AM
    yea its kinda BS that this cant be done.
    03-29-11 11:13 AM
    1- On the Galaxy S running Froyo (not rooted) you just have to hold the back button and home button to take a screenshot, so i have no clue why it isnt included on other phones when it should.

2- I never thought i would see Qbnkelt in the Android section ;-)
    03-29-11 05:11 PM
    I'm a little shocked myself, just goes to show you the power of Android
    03-29-11 05:27 PM
    1- On the Galaxy S running Froyo (not rooted) you just have to hold the back button and home button to take a screenshot, so i have no clue why it isnt included on other phones when it should.

You didn't?!?!?!?!? Why ever not?!?!?!?!?!

I've always said I'd buy a device if it turns my head. The Atrix gave me whiplash....

In my defence - I'm having one **** of a time with my mail. Rick, AVT and Penguin have been my heroes all day.

The Atrix is gorgeous, but I'm keeping my BBerries....all of them.....and the future ones too!
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    03-29-11 05:36 PM
    It beats the **** out of me.. I've been pondering that question for a while now.

OP, you can try ShootMe... it's been reported to work on some devices without root. Try your luck.
    I'd read that here, and I tried it. No go.
    03-29-11 05:46 PM
    You didn't?!?!?!?!? Why ever not?!?!?!?!?!

I've always said I'd buy a device if it turns my head. The Atrix gave me whiplash....

In my defence - I'm having one **** of a time with my mail. Rick, AVT and Penguin have been my heroes all day.

The Atrix is gorgeous, but I'm keeping my BBerries....all of them.....and the future ones too!
    The Atrix is a great phone, just try not to run this one over like with your Torch lol!
    Glad to see you're liking Android.
    03-29-11 05:47 PM
    Here's why you can't take screenshots without rooting:
    Android 2.3.3 to allow screenshots without rooting | Android Central

Changes in the Android 2.3.3 Gingerbread source will allow applications to take screenshots without rooting your phone. We've always been able to take screenshots using the SDK and the ddms utility (which you can see above), and some third-party manufacturer skins have enabled it -- both accidentally and on purpose. But with Android 2.3.3 it appears that applications will be able to do it without rooting on stock Android. This is because of some changes in the way the SurfaceFlinger service handles what it captures from the framebuffer. For more info, have a look here. It's something that many users have been requesting, and security issues aside, something long available on most other smartphone platforms. (Wave to your screenshot-less Windows Phone friends, everybody!)
    03-29-11 07:55 PM
    I've played with the atrix a few times, and I like it. The phone has an awesome display, but I need the ability to watch Netflix. I love the watch instantly portion and cannot imagine not having it.

Keep us posted on your thoughts.

Side note: anyone see Restrepo on Netflix? Awesome documentary produced by national geographic that follows a small unit into Afghanistan, that could be the most dangerous deployment in the Army.
    03-29-11 09:46 PM
    I wonder why Google (or manufacturers) just can't make it like the iPhone and you can take it yourself, whether it's an app or buttons you have to press.

But you can take screenshots without rooting... just requires your PC to be plugged to the PC w/ the android sdk + other things to be installed on that PC.

Take Android screenshots without root
    03-29-11 10:33 PM
    I wonder why Google (or manufacturers) just can't make it like the iPhone and you can take it yourself, whether it's an app or buttons you have to press.

But you can take screenshots without rooting... just requires your PC to be plugged to the PC w/ the android sdk + other things to be installed on that PC.

Take Android screenshots without root
    Thanks, Duvi - I found the instructions on the sdk....I was hoping to be able to do it on the fly, without being plugged in. My geeky friend/contractor from work is completely over the moon about me getting this device and I haven't seen him since he went with me to get it. He's been asking me for screenshots and is driving me crazy.

Oh, and what's with this only over WiFi upgrade thing? It's very annoying because I've never bothered with wifi at home, never found a need, really. Now I can't upgrade unless I go sit at Union Station for however long it takes. Will all upgrades be over WiFi only?!??
    03-30-11 04:50 AM
    Thanks, Duvi - I found the instructions on the sdk....I was hoping to be able to do it on the fly, without being plugged in. My geeky friend/contractor from work is completely over the moon about me getting this device and I haven't seen him since he went with me to get it. He's been asking me for screenshots and is driving me crazy.

Oh, and what's with this only over WiFi upgrade thing? It's very annoying because I've never bothered with wifi at home, never found a need, really. Now I can't upgrade unless I go sit at Union Station for however long it takes. Will all upgrades be over WiFi only?!??
    you could always take the pic with your BB. lol.

i didn't need wifi for that upgrade, i don't believe. then again, i was on wifi, but i remember reading on the forums (for the pre-release) that you needed 50% battery and it was only recommended to be on wifi. i could be wrong, so i'll double check. maybe that's how it is being implemented to the public. i'm in the group of beta testers that got it a couple days prior.
    03-30-11 04:57 AM
    I've played with the atrix a few times, and I like it. The phone has an awesome display, but I need the ability to watch Netflix. I love the watch instantly portion and cannot imagine not having it.

Keep us posted on your thoughts.

Side note: anyone see Restrepo on Netflix? Awesome documentary produced by national geographic that follows a small unit into Afghanistan, that could be the most dangerous deployment in the Army.
    I can (and do) watch Netflix (and Hulu) on my Thunderbolt quite frequently, as you can with an Atrix (or any other Android phone). You just have to know how.
    03-30-11 05:12 AM
    you could always take the pic with your BB. lol.

i didn't need wifi for that upgrade, i don't believe. then again, i was on wifi, but i remember reading on the forums (for the pre-release) that you needed 50% battery and it was only recommended to be on wifi. i could be wrong, so i'll double check. maybe that's how it is being implemented to the public. i'm in the group of beta testers that got it a couple days prior.
    Yah, I suppose I could do that to get around the screenshot thing!!!

On the upgrade, that may have been the issue. I remember that when the notification came on I was in the stables and it was after lunch, which means I was already below 50%. When I approved for the WiFi to begin it threw me into WiFi straightaway and that's when I got the "donwload will start when connected to a WiFi network"

I'm a bit tempted to do a - dare I say it - battery pull to get rid of that little alert signal.
    03-30-11 06:24 AM
    OK - battery pull did not help to abort the process so I can try again without WiFi. I can't find anything that will allow me to abort the "WiFi download" so I can try again now that my battery is full.

Ideas anyone? Surely there must be a kill switch somewhere....
    03-30-11 06:38 AM
    As for the update over wifi vs 3g/4g issue:

Download OTA wihtout wifi - xda-developers

I'm reading differing reports =\
    03-30-11 09:39 AM
    As for the update over wifi vs 3g/4g issue:

Download OTA wihtout wifi - xda-developers

I'm reading differing reports =\
    Weeeellll, now....I am quite peeved....I won't get back to DC until tomorrow, I'm home today again nursing a kidlet with tonsilitis...I can't leave the house.

Is there any way to kill that download that is waiting? I can't seem to clear it, not even with a battery pull, which I had read somewhere works like on a BB.
    03-30-11 10:00 AM
74 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD