I was thinking about getting the Samsung Moment from Sprint. I've been reading up about it on other forums and watching videos on youtube.com but I had a few questions before I went out and got one.

1. Customizing - There's a video on customizing the Moment but I haven't seen anything too in-depth about it. Am I able to totally customize the Home Screens like I can with my Tour? My OCD would call for me to have things in a certain order.....lol

2. App Space - I don't have THAT many apps on my Tour now but I'm always looking for new and exciting things to download!! Does the Moment have a good amount of internal memory?

3. Battery Life - Is it really an issue or has that been taken care of? I read here that some people no longer have it but then on other sites people still have the issue of it draining pretty fast.

4. Ringtones - What type of file does the Moment use? I've been making my own ringtones for a long time now and would rather not have to search out a site in hopes of finding a tone that I like.

5. Wallpapers - What size should the wallpapers be?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    12-28-09 07:12 PM
    There is no comparison between the two. The Android device is far more customizable, you can load it up with apps without having to worry about space, and if you can live without the excellent email of the BB and BBM, then its a no brainer. The Moment is far superior to the Tour in pretty much every way.
    12-28-09 08:05 PM
    I agree with Semantics. My wife just swapped out her Curve for a Samsung Moment. It is a great phone. Twice as fast internet and other programs as well. The only issue is the battery life and lack of accessories due to it being so new. Her email,SMS,MMS all is equal to my Curve 8530 in just about all aspects. The applications for the Android OS are growing and most are free. I will probably swap out for one myself pretty soon with the Blackberry network going down so often.

1- You can customize just about everything

2- Plenty of space for apps

3- Battery life is short ( get a car charger or spare battery)

4- Ringtones can be customized from any songs you put on the phone. Plenty of free apps for this.

5- This is something we are trying to figure out yet.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by Lickitisplit; 12-29-09 at 07:32 AM.
    12-29-09 07:25 AM
    Thanks for the info guys!! It sounds like an amazing device. I do plan on getting the Moment as soon as I can based on these great reviews. I typically have more than one charger (one for home, one for car, and one for work) so that shouldn't be too much of an issue. I just didn't want the battery to die on me while I'm out.
    12-29-09 09:54 AM
    all that isn't 100% true. i owned the moment for 2 days & ditched it.

here are my pro's and con's...

pro's
    1-good size screen with good response.
    2-super fast internet
    3-tons of free apps (way more then BB or windows)

cons..
    1-battery life
    2-odd spaced keys on keyboard
    3-can't view files by name on sd card, only by oldest to new or newest to old
    4-not such a good camera, fuzzy at times...
    5-couldn't connect my email
    6-has to sync your info to google which isn't secure so anyone can steal your info whenever.
    7-no notification for texts when set to vibrate
    8-can only customize home screens & not app menue.
    9-can't search in app store by name of type.

these things made me ditch the phone which sucks cause i wanted to like the phone but just didn't. it all got to unorganized.
    from what sprint told me the hero is a much better choice & more user friendly.
    01-14-10 05:06 PM
    all that isn't 100% true. i owned the moment for 2 days & ditched it.

here are my pro's and con's...

pro's
    1-good size screen with good response.
    2-super fast internet
    3-tons of free apps (way more then BB or windows)

cons..
    1-battery life
    2-odd spaced keys on keyboard
    3-can't view files by name on sd card, only by oldest to new or newest to old
    4-not such a good camera, fuzzy at times...
    5-couldn't connect my email
    6-has to sync your info to google which isn't secure so anyone can steal your info whenever.
    7-no notification for texts when set to vibrate
    8-can only customize home screens & not app menue.
    9-can't search in app store by name of type.

these things made me ditch the phone which sucks cause i wanted to like the phone but just didn't. it all got to unorganized.
    from what sprint told me the hero is a much better choice & more user friendly.
    this is based on your's..
    heres mine

battery life is awsome..
    email works..
    easy to customize
    fast
    easy to use
    app store is amazing with many free apps
    01-14-10 07:25 PM
    Ok, where's the cons? Every phone or object has cons.
    I agree with you on the app store but again, you can really only view by oldest to new or new to old. The battery life isn't that great cause you can't close apps like you can with a blackberry or windows. I spent 5 minutes trying to sync my email with no avail & its a yahoo account. And, it is super f'ing fast! That's 1 thing I loved was the 800 mghz processor

01-14-10 08:57 PM
    My main issue is with the battery. I use my phone A LOT so I noticed I have to charge it while at work. I did recently start to use WiFi at home and I turned off the GPS which saves some battery life.

About the app thing, I use Advanced Task Killer which kills all the running apps I select.
    01-14-10 11:18 PM
    VDub, don't bother killing apps with ATK. You will see the apps come back in a few minutes. Android manages resources very well, that's why there is no need to put a close/exit option in the menu.
    Last edited by xliderider; 01-15-10 at 12:19 AM.
    01-15-10 12:17 AM
    VDub, don't bother killing apps with ATK. You will see the apps come back in a few minutes. Android manages resources very well, that's why there is no need to put a close/exit option in the menu.
    well some apps dont come back that you dled... like my games flashlights n etc so it helps for that at least
    01-15-10 12:41 AM
    does anyone know if there's a way to view files by name? or will there be an upgrade on 2.0? that's one thing that killed me with the phone cause i save a lot of files to my sd card & whenever i went to view them i had to look through an assload of files just to get to one.
    01-15-10 08:19 AM
    Astro file manager lets you to search or sort by name, date, type, etc
    01-15-10 09:59 AM
    Battery life is far from bad. So you understand, the battery wasnt bad, the meter on the OS was bad. It wasnt reading properly and would drop to 15% within a couple hours but stay at 15% for about 4-6 more hours. The patch just released today to resolve the meter issue. You can easily get 12 hours out of the moment under above average usage.

I ran mine with wifi and GPS on yesterday starting at 7 am and the phone finally shut off today at 10 am. Thats including calls, texts, email etc.
    01-15-10 02:10 PM
    Now, with the app for the files. Can you combine the apps such as the one you mentioned with the normal sms icon so you don't have a ton of icons floating around? Such as the camera fx apps with the camera icon. What's the patch for the battery life that you're talking about? I'm sorry for these questions but I'm really new to the android o.s.

Also, how can you get the phone to go into vibrate mode for all notifications? I put my moment on vibrate & when I got a text it wouldn't vibrate. I don't use ring tones so its important for all notifications to go off with this mode.

01-15-10 11:54 PM
    Battery life is far from bad. So you understand, the battery wasnt bad, the meter on the OS was bad. It wasnt reading properly and would drop to 15% within a couple hours but stay at 15% for about 4-6 more hours. The patch just released today to resolve the meter issue. You can easily get 12 hours out of the moment under above average usage.

I ran mine with wifi and GPS on yesterday starting at 7 am and the phone finally shut off today at 10 am. Thats including calls, texts, email etc.
    I can get 12 hours everyday out of my moment with moderate-heavy use by the time i put it on the charger before bed its usually around 30%
    01-15-10 11:58 PM
    So, again. Can you combine apps to save space? Just to make things more organized you know? I like with BB how everything is organized & now I'm kinda anal about it cause I've used !! For a while now but the moment has an amazing processor so I think I wanna make a switch. Also, is astro file manager a free app?

01-16-10 12:30 AM
    @circles:

You cant combine apps but you can set 3rd party camera, sms etc apps to be the default so when you click the default icon they open the 3rd party app. Not sure if thats what you mean.

Theres also a free app called app organizer that is excellent for organizing things.

For notifictions going to vibrate make sure you go into the settings and select sms etc to vibrate. Then when you put your ringer on vibrate it will. Sms notify is a great app to give sms messages their own sound and select a seperate vibrate pattern. Handcent does this also.
    01-16-10 01:16 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD