The power button on my HTC Incredible is starting to go out. It works every now and then. I'm looking to upgrade with an Android phone with Verizon.

The two phones that grabbed my attention were the HTC Thunderbolt & the Samsung Charge. HTC has been known for not having great battery life. I heard that the Samsung Charge gets better battery life than the Thunderbolt.
    I will also need to root my phone, so I'm hoping that both can be rooted.
    I hear that the Droid Bionic may come out soon, but I'm not sure if it can be rooted or not.

Any suggestions on what's good/bad about the Samsung Charge & HTC Thunderbolt? Or should I just try to wait it out for the next best thing?
    08-30-11 05:09 PM
    At this point I probably wouldn't bother with the Thunderbolt (unless you're just buying it used).... It's going to get buried by something pretty soon.
    08-30-11 05:31 PM
    If you need something - now - get the Thunderbolt.. otherwise, I'd wait

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk
    08-30-11 05:34 PM
    I love my Thunderbolt and Sense UI! Before I bought an Android I went online and looked at MOTO, Samsung, and HTC UI's using a simulator.

I much prefer Sense. The Thunderbolt is a great phone and I have no complaints!
    08-30-11 05:46 PM
    Don't get me started on Sense.........

08-30-11 05:49 PM
    I love my Thunderbolt and Sense UI! Before I bought an Android I went online and looked at MOTO, Samsung, and HTC UI's using a simulator.

I much prefer Sense. The Thunderbolt is a great phone and I have no complaints!
    I can't see my HTC Incredible very well in sunlight. I heard that the HTC Thunderbolt does not fair any better.
    How well are you able to see your screen outside in the sunlight?

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk
    08-30-11 05:49 PM
    In sunlight I have to turn the screen brightness to 100% to see it. Then it's fine.

As far as the battery I get about 11 with stock battery and 22 with the 2700 extended.

I use my phone to geocache outdoors in sunny Florida and the screen isn't a big deal to turn up for me.
    08-30-11 05:52 PM
    Don't get me started on Sense.........

Get started! You no like Sense? why?!
    08-30-11 05:53 PM
    The kickstand is super handy too!
    08-30-11 05:54 PM
    In sunlight I have to turn the screen brightness to 100% to see it. Then it's fine.

As far as the battery I get about 11 with stock battery and 22 with the 2700 extended.

I use my phone to geocache outdoors in sunny Florida and the screen isn't a big deal to turn up for me.
    Not bad. With my Incredible I still can't see it, even with the screen cranked up to 100%

08-30-11 06:02 PM
    Another vote for the thunderbolt!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-30-11 06:05 PM
    I can't see my HTC Incredible very well in sunlight. I heard that the HTC Thunderbolt does not fair any better.
    How well are you able to see your screen outside in the sunlight?

The thunderbolt is identical...
    08-30-11 06:11 PM
    Wow. Must have different screens. I use my Bolt outside all the time with no issues. Pics, videos, caching.
    08-30-11 06:13 PM
    You can use it outside. However 2 problems:
    1 - The auto brightness switching sucks and doesn't work properly (both indoors and outdoors).
    2 - You have to crank it to 100% to be easily usable, which is non-standard for a lot of phones out there.
    08-30-11 06:21 PM
    I would much rather have the Samsung Galaxy S II, but it seems to be a no go for Verizon.
    The Samsung Charge has a nice screen display, but I'm not a huge fan of the design.
    All of the sales rep swear up and down that the Charge is the best Android phone out, but I rarely see a lot of people talking about it in the forums.

08-30-11 06:48 PM
    I believe a lot of HTC devices are that way... Happened with my Nexus One as well. I remember it like it was yesterday, I was taking my motorcycle road test and while waiting, I could not for the love of me see my device. 100% brightness! It's not just sunlight, but direct sunlight. People were looking at me like "wtf is he doing" when I was going bizerk trying to put both hands around the sides and putting my face in there.
    08-30-11 06:53 PM
    Droid Charge vote...
    08-30-11 06:53 PM
    Having owned both, I would say Droid Charge for sure. Battery is a lot better. Display seams more crisp, and the camera is great! Much more smooth with less hiccips and force closes.
    08-30-11 06:56 PM
    If you need a device now, I'd get the Charge. If you can wait, Verizon is going to be getting something extremely similar to the SGS2 very soon.
    08-30-11 07:09 PM
    Or wait for the HTC Vigor. Looks nice.
    08-30-11 07:10 PM
    Get started! You no like Sense? why?!
    Bloated, and screws with Android's internals. The framework monopolizes access to certain pieces of configuration parameters..

08-30-11 07:15 PM
    If the Charge was on AT&T or Sprint, I'd have it in my hands.

I remember messing with it in store and enjoying it a lot.
    08-30-11 07:16 PM
    Or wait for the HTC Vigor. Looks nice.
    If the new Sammy device VZW is getting is the new Nexus, that will be better than anything HTC puts out until next year.

Vanilla Android > everything else. Especially when it is updated directly from Google. The Nexus One was a beast for this reason. Same with the Nexus S, although it wasn't as big of a deal as the N1 due to it being basically the same as the SGS that released before it.

BTW, welcome back Chrisy.
    08-30-11 07:21 PM
    I believe a lot of HTC devices are that way... Happened with my Nexus One as well. I remember it like it was yesterday, I was taking my motorcycle road test and while waiting, I could not for the love of me see my device. 100% brightness! It's not just sunlight, but direct sunlight. People were looking at me like "wtf is he doing" when I was going bizerk trying to put both hands around the sides and putting my face in there.
    LOL!!!!!

08-30-11 08:28 PM
    If you wanna keep your phone running, try downloading a button remapping program (Google it). I rerouted it to my camera button on my Droid because my power button went out.
    08-31-11 02:18 PM
42 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD