Samsung Galaxy S hands-on with video -- Engadget

The best of the Android market in my opinion. It is by far the best geared at solving the speed and memory issues of ALL current handsets. Damn them for not making a CDMA model as well.
    03-24-10 12:51 AM
    Looks good, interesting new UI.

Iphone looks so blah next to that screen brightness, resolution, etc, etc.

The HTC EVO still looks like the best android phone to me, but don't know if that will be enough for me to go to Sprint.

How am I supposed to look forward to buying a new android phone, when before even the HTC Incredible gets released, all these beasts get announced. Why aren't there mobile plans for 2 months :/
    03-24-10 01:06 AM
    I still love my DROID, so I'm good for a while. However, both the Galaxy S and HTC Evo are impressive looking devices.
    And Samsung is usually supportive of CDMA, so I wouldn't be surprised to see an aforementioned iteration somewhere down the line.
    03-24-10 01:37 AM
    It looks a lot like an iPhone, UI-wise :\
    And after seeing the HTC EVO on Sprint..oh my. How much would Sprint's monthly fees cost me I wonder, in comparison to AT&T :-o
    03-24-10 11:44 AM
    I still love my DROID, so I'm good for a while. However, both the Galaxy S and HTC Evo are impressive looking devices.
    And Samsung is usually supportive of CDMA, so I wouldn't be surprised to see an aforementioned iteration somewhere down the line.
    Wow I agree. Nice find Civ, thanks......
    Definitely 1yr contract from here on out.
    I bought my Droid on a one year. Have another upgrade
    coming in June. Wow is all I can say.
    03-24-10 01:13 PM
    And after seeing the HTC EVO on Sprint..oh my. How much would Sprint's monthly fees cost me I wonder, in comparison to AT&T :-o
    70 bux a month. lol

i love my sprint premiere 1 year upgrades.
    03-25-10 07:17 PM
    That thing took like 5 whole seconds to load a video. What a piece of junk.

Also, app pages? Seriously? Outside of burning a giant Apple over the word 'Samsung', this thing is an iPhone with a couple dedicated buttons.
    03-25-10 08:49 PM
    $70/mo for 3G. You might be required to buy a 4G plan with that.
    03-25-10 09:19 PM
    Wow, those oleds on that Samsung made the iPhone look like junk. Plus, android? Sick. Those of us that think on a higher level, understand the Samsung in the video is not yet done, and fully functional

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-25-10 10:32 PM
    app pages? Seriously?
    Android has ALWAYS had app pages, (just to inform you) they are usually in some drawer that can be swiped out, nothing new dude
    03-25-10 10:42 PM
    It was sarcasm.
    03-25-10 10:43 PM
    70 bux a month. lol

i love my sprint premiere 1 year upgrades.
    Really..............?
    03-25-10 10:50 PM
    Yes Trendy if you have an account that runs your 69.99 or above before discounts for 3 months you get premier status and get full upgrades every year.

With the any mobile any time I'm lucky I use 100 minutes a month.
    03-25-10 11:14 PM
    I like Samsung and I am considering this phone as well as the Evo 4G.

But here are a few things that ticks me off with this phone after 3 days of reading about it and watching the videos. Why is Samsung copying the iPhone?

1. Design - I loved the look of most of Samsung's industrial design. The Wave, OmniaHD, Innov8, etc. Why copy and make this phone look like the Chinese made iPhone rip-offs you see in China town?

2. App Pages - enough said. This isn't a biggie though since App pages had been around a while. Even the Nokias have had nice app pages before the iPhone was born.

3. Background Pic of the home screen - ala iPad

4. App Interface of displaying eBooks, eMagazines, and eNewspapers - have you seen that vid? I first thought it was the exact same iPad app. The one that looks like a wooden book shelf.

5. Photo Interface - another iPad rip-off

6. I was first surprised and disappointed to find out that this phone doesn't have a camera flash. Then it hit me, there's this other famous phone that doesn't have a camera flash. Samsung: Oh we've always been putting LED flash with our cameras. If Apple makes a crap load of money with the iPhone even with the absence of the LED flash, perhaps that's the magic key. Let's not include a flash this time.

Oh well, I'm glad there's the redeeming factor called Super AMOLED.
    Last edited by seyoon; 03-26-10 at 05:17 AM.
    03-26-10 05:12 AM
    IMO The iPhone design is the best. It's hard to beat the iPhone in form factor, when Apple nailed it. It doesn't bother me all that much, because I love the iPhone design put OLEDS and android with that? The phone will be a winner for sure. If the unlimited everything plan applies too, at 69.99, then I would still save money switching! Lets face it, apple hit the zenith of mobile design, so Samsung realizing that is a good thing! Like a good band, thanking those that they drew inspiration off of, thanks apple!

03-26-10 10:14 AM
    IMO The iPhone design is the best. It's hard to beat the iPhone in form factor, when Apple nailed it. It doesn't bother me all that much, because I love the iPhone design put OLEDS and android with that? The phone will be a winner for sure. If the unlimited everything plan applies too, at 69.99, then I would still save money switching! Lets face it, apple hit the zenith of mobile design, so Samsung realizing that is a good thing! Like a good band, thanking those that they drew inspiration off of, thanks apple!

I have to agree......
    I like that Samsung.........
    03-26-10 10:53 AM
    Yes Trendy if you have an account that runs your 69.99 or above before discounts for 3 months you get premier status and get full upgrades every year.

With the any mobile any time I'm lucky I use 100 minutes a month.
    Thats friggin awesome......
    Man.
    03-26-10 10:54 AM
    Thats friggin awesome......
    Man.
    Just one of the reason I stay with Sprint and put up with their lackluster phone selection.
    03-26-10 11:11 AM
    i bet alot cheaper then at&t's dead 3g spots
    03-26-10 11:36 AM
    Just one of the reason I stay with Sprint and put up with their lackluster phone selection.
    Well um say lackluster no more.
    How is their customer service?
    How is the coverage in So.Cal....?
    I rarely leave the City of L.A. but
    that will one day change as my g/f likes
    to travel.
    03-26-10 11:37 AM
    But isn't the point of being able to upgrade, being able to choose a better phone to upgrade to? Hence, the upgrade? lol. So if Sprint is known for lackluster phones, doesn't that get rid of the benefit of being able to upgrade annually?

I know nothing about Sprint other than what the Android forum has spilled about it, so, I'm a bit ignorant with that.
    03-26-10 01:22 PM
    But isn't the point of being able to upgrade, being able to choose a better phone to upgrade to? Hence, the upgrade? lol. So if Sprint is known for lackluster phones, doesn't that get rid of the benefit of being able to upgrade annually?

I know nothing about Sprint other than what the Android forum has spilled about it, so, I'm a bit ignorant with that.
    not really sprint is the best carrier in my opinion and city. the upgrade 1 yr is the best thing ever. sprint has decent phones i never had a issue where i hated my phone to the extreme to change to a different provider...
    03-26-10 02:44 PM
    Trendy - When I lived in the OC (moved to FL in November), I had great coverage. In fact on the drive out here never missed a beat in voice coverage, data hit one spot between CA and AZ where there was none.

And yes the lackluster phone days appear to be over.

Jonneh - That was sort of a tongue in cheek comment. The folks around here who like to carrier bash always like to point out the lack of phone selection with Sprint. Never really had a problem with their phone selection, only that they're typically last to get the latest and greatest.
    03-26-10 04:05 PM
    I like this device, can't wait to see how it does...
    03-26-10 04:23 PM
    Looks good, interesting new UI.

Iphone looks so blah next to that screen brightness, resolution, etc, etc.

The HTC EVO still looks like the best android phone to me, but don't know if that will be enough for me to go to Sprint.

How am I supposed to look forward to buying a new android phone, when before even the HTC Incredible gets released, all these beasts get announced. Why aren't there mobile plans for 2 months :/
    Those of you considering the HTC EVO4G... consider this... Samsung's Galaxy S has four times the polygon power of Snapdragon -- Engadget

The chipset in this GalaxyS is the better.
    03-26-10 04:50 PM
34 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD