So while at the vzw store making a payment I had some time to kill so I checked out the newest vzw devices. And even tried out the S2 (maybe I was wrong for hating that device and wanted to know if I missed it) bit no im glad I dumped it. Anyway I tried the fascinate and it felt very I*hone-ish the screen colors were nice vibrant. I liked how the front is a flat uniform panel but the strange thing is that that the display resolution looked low, pixelated, as I every other pixel was turned off to save power? Even compared the menus to my dx side by side and sure enough I could see the dots and in between there were unlit pixels. Is that how the screen behaves to save power or is it a settig? Anyone else notice this?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-11-10 12:59 PM
    So while at the vzw store making a payment I had some time to kill so I checked out the newest vzw devices. And even tried out the S2 (maybe I was wrong for hating that device and wanted to know if I missed it) bit no im glad I dumped it. Anyway I tried the fascinate and it felt very I*hone-ish the screen colors were nice vibrant. I liked how the front is a flat uniform panel but the strange thing is that that the display resolution looked low, pixelated, as I every other pixel was turned off to save power? Even compared the menus to my dx side by side and sure enough I could see the dots and in between there were unlit pixels. Is that how the screen behaves to save power or is it a settig? Anyone else notice this?

The DX resolution is 854x480 and the Fascinates is 800x480. Shouldn't really be that much of a difference considering the Fascinates screen is smaller and is SAMOLED. The DX screen is very crisp though.
    10-11-10 01:05 PM
    When I had the Fascinate, the screen resolution did bother me at first (came from the Droid 1) where I had a hard time reading small text on the Fascinate's screen. After a few days though, I got used to it.

The resolution is sharper on the X's screen, but the Droid1/2 have even sharper screens than the X, because they have the same 854x480 resolution, as the X, but in a smaller 3.7 inch screen.
    10-11-10 02:16 PM
    I did notice that. I was about to get it, but when compared against a Droid X and the Fascinate...I decided to go with the larger, but to me crisper, Droid X.
    10-11-10 02:29 PM
    The X has 54 pixels more in length. Plus the..3 inches of screan, so it has poorer pixel density by comparison. I zoomed in and out on both devices, making sure the font stayed the same size. I believe the two render web pages differenty also, fully expanded on sgs, and a zoomed in version on the X just control the font size to compare, you would learn the sgs does just as well. My droid 1 has better pixel density than the X and fascinate......but after having the sgs.....it just looked worse by comparison to me as the colors are white washed. Hope that helps.
    10-11-10 02:36 PM
    My brother and I both bought the Fascinate. He got his from VZW and when he did he ordered their screen protectors. I got mine from best buy on the Free Phone day and got the Zagg screen protector. The ones that came from VZW made the screen look pixelated to the point where it looked like an old grainy film. The Zagg one did not. So maybe they put one of their screen protectors on and that was what you were seeing? I know my brother ripped his VZW screen protector off and bought a Zagg when he saw what mine looked like in comparison.
    10-11-10 06:36 PM
    Nope, my Fascinate's screen was naked, as are my Droid 1 and Droid X.
    10-12-10 04:30 AM
    The screen on the X is a tad brighter, and it has an advantage with the text. I have the brightness set to high and there is also a power saving mode that says analyzing image and adjusting brightness. I have that unchecked as well. There isn't that much difference.
    10-12-10 08:59 AM
    Maybe the one in the store had a screen protector on it?
    The one on display in my area store did.
    10-12-10 10:32 AM
    Maybe the one in the store had a screen protector on it?
    The one on display in my area store did.
    To me low resolution screens are typically 200 by 400 (say iPhone 3gs)
    I am surprised someone would think the SGS is low resolution when I blow up a full web page, I see theist loosing contrast and becoming hard to read.....happened on all the phones I have tried. Samoled has a great display, but it having low resolution is some big misinformation...

I just used shootme and left the picture alone. It looks the same on my phone. 45 rows of easily read text. I can squeeze in another 10 or so and read it just fine, but my vision is OK for that. I would expect the X to handle text as good. To anyone believing the SGS is low resolution, go and see one for yourself....make sure and get that those other android devices next to it with the same font.....it really is nothing to freak on. This feels like a thread contempt prior to investigation....Just Saying WP
    10-12-10 11:42 AM
    To me low resolution screens are typically 200 by 400 (say iPhone 3gs)
    I am surprised someone would think the SGS is low resolution when I blow up a full web page, I see theist loosing contrast and becoming hard to read.....happened on all the phones I have tried. Samoled has a great display, but it having low resolution is some big misinformation...

I just used shootme and left the picture alone. It looks the same on my phone. 45 rows of easily read text. I can squeeze in another 10 or so and read it just fine, but my vision is OK for that. I would expect the X to handle text as good. To anyone believing the SGS is low resolution, go and see one for yourself....make sure and get that those other android devices next to it with the same font.....it really is nothing to freak on. This feels like a thread contempt prior to investigation....Just Saying WP
    Fine, not low res. But I just wanted to know if that's how samoled screens behaved or if it was a power saving feature that's all. I'm not knocking on the Sgs line. I think samoled displays are a very interesting upcoming technology and wanted some more input on their performace. But as stated I compared menus and web pages on the samsung next to my dx and that's the perception that I got as if every other pixel was turned off and yes it was very minimal but noticeable if payed attention to.

10-12-10 12:26 PM
    Fine, not low res. But I just wanted to know if that's how samoled screens behaved or if it was a power saving feature that's all. I'm not knocking on the Sgs line. I think samoled displays are a very interesting upcoming technology and wanted some more input on their performace. But as stated I compared menus and web pages on the samsung next to my dx and that's the perception that I got as if every other pixel was turned off and yes it was very minimal but noticeable if payed attention to.

I didn't think you were, and your title has a ? So you are stating a question and not a claim. To me, it seemed the X would always default to a zoomed in view and the SGS wouldn't My initial impression was that the SGS had a crappy resolution too, but then I panned in on the SGS to match the field of view the X defaulted to, and they were both looking real good. The X seemed a little brighter, and that may help contrast text better, but I don't know why they would look so different beyond that. The resolution is only a little better on the SGS, thought we are talking only a few rows of pixels.

All the pixels on the SGS are on, and they have the capability to illuminate 60 million different colors. one by one.

Trendy said there is a brightness setting within the browser....after I turned that up 3/4 that helped with text contrast. I agree with you, two completely different technologies going on....For what is is worth, I don't know the X, it is a great phone.....
    10-12-10 12:38 PM
    I've seen the Epic 4G, Droid X, and EVO side by side by side. The only thing I noticed was the screen on the Epic was a **** of a lot nicer than my EVO's or Droid X.

I've not met a person who thinks that the Galaxy S phones do not have a nicer screen, or didn't wish that screen was on their EVO or Droid.
    10-12-10 12:43 PM

Its definitely the settings.....
    10-12-10 01:52 PM
    My dream phone=EVO 4.3 Samoled screen FTW!
    10-12-10 01:56 PM
    My dream phone=EVO 4.3 Samoled screen FTW!
    Or Droid X..... lmao
    No I take that back the Samsung Galaxy S2
    10-12-10 02:16 PM
    Or Droid X..... lmao
    No I take that back the Samsung Galaxy S2
    I thought for sure it was going to be touchwiz or sense...rofl I almost walked out of sprint with an evo....so close
    10-12-10 02:19 PM
    I thought for sure it was going to be touchwiz or sense...rofl I almost walked out of sprint with an evo....so close
    You're such a phone wh0re, ummm but then again so am I sooooo am I.
    Agggggghhhh I feel sooooo cheap
    10-12-10 02:38 PM
    You're such a phone wh0re, ummm but then again so am I sooooo am I.
    Agggggghhhh I feel sooooo cheap
    ha ha ha ha ha
    10-12-10 03:11 PM
    I came across this thread from a Google search. I went to the VZW store to check out the Fascinate because of its screen size and was also put off by the pixelization. Now, I thought it was my eyes and that I was crazy because I knew the screen res & type. The store had 3 Fascinates up and they all had this 'problem.' I was looking forward to getting this phone until I saw this ... meh. I'm honestly still wondering if it was the lighting in the store haha. On paper the screen specs are awesome.

I hope the OP found a phone!
    11-12-10 10:07 PM
    its due to the pentile screen vs RGB screen...

11-12-10 10:11 PM
    its due to the pentile screen vs RGB screen...

So woo is right?
    11-12-10 10:44 PM
    Funny, because the screen is the main reason why I got SGS over DX. After seeing it, I just couldn't pass on it...
    11-19-10 03:13 AM
    Something about those blacks and blues.....very nice....it is the reading text that sucks major.
    11-19-10 03:16 AM
    Are you guys serious? Wow, how do you guys view these screens and notice these imperfections is beyond me. And whoever is reading this thread do yourself a favor and ignore these idiotic comparisons to the fascinates screen resolution. I have the fascinate and the screen is absolutely out of this world. I could of chose the X or INC or any other similar phone. The fact is some people nit pick every detail there is and magnify it to justify there decision. Ridiculous!
    11-21-10 09:39 AM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD