Ok, So I have the Samsung Captivate & I've been itching for the Torch. Does anyone think that's a good idea? My battery dies very fast, even with the task killer & I just miss the BB OS. I'm sure it takes getting use to cause I tried it out in the store & the keypad seemed really small & the OS seemed as if it had to many options. Maybe that's cause I left BB behind a long time ago. OS 5.0 was awesome & I thought 6.0 would be wicked cool but it almost seems to have to many menus & options. But I diegress, I do miss BB & I'm thinking of switching. I do have a pros & cons list for the captivate...
    Pros..
    1-memory is huge! I have 16gbs on board & a 16gb sd card so 32 gbs is huge!
    2-beautiful huge touch screen
    3-Great animations
    4-Huge app market
    5-great camera w/tons of effects
    6-fast processor!!!!!!

Cons...
    1-Battery life sucks!
    2-Bad reception in my apartment. I almost NEVER get 3g & tons of dropped calls.
    3-Starting to restart itself for no reason.
    4-freezes

I know the 9800's processor isn't as fast & the screen isn't as big...but I don't know how developers are working with the new OS & hardware. So can someone point me in some kind of direction here? I was also thinking of maybe going back to the Palm Pre Plus. I had that before & loved it even though the app market was pretty lame. Also, I saw you can install a 1.2mhz processor for the phone & from what I've read it's super fast!!! I just don't want my sd card to go to waste...ugh, decisions decisions.....
    09-22-10 01:06 AM
    Remove your task killer app. That might be causing some of your battery drain and problems.

Also, a corrupted file/filesystem on your memory card can cause lagging, freezing, and rebooting problems.

My thoughts? The Captivate is a good device and a lot better than the Torch. I suggest you go to a forum with a dedicated Captivate section and ask if others have any suggestions for improving your battery life, other than getting rid of the Task Killer.
    09-22-10 01:24 AM
    Thanks for the heads up but without a task killer all the apps run & drain battery life. That's not the only reason I'm thinking of leaving my Captivate behind. BB has an AMAZING email client & I always loved it. With the Captivate I don't know if I missed a call, text, email or app note cause there's no flashing LED. I know it sounds stupid but that does come in handy.
    09-22-10 01:30 AM
    You're the only one who ultimately has to decide. Go to an ATT store and play with an activated torch for an hour doing normal things you're likely to be doing and see if it really is something you're going to be able to enjoy. Make a pro/con list up for the Torch and anything else you're going to consider and compare them that way also but ultimately it'll be down to what you feel best about...

As was mentioned, you may want to check some dedicated forums for your current device to get hints and tips on improving battery life, etc.
    09-22-10 06:12 AM
    You can get rid of task killer and put on android mate. This has a task killer built in. I noticed an increase in battery life with juice defender. And I have an extended control widget that lets me turn down the screen brightness for when I don't need it turned all the way up that helped with my battery life.

Yahoo and my exchange email isn't delivered with much of a time difference as it was on the 9700. Gmail is instant.

Ultimately it's your choice and you should be happy with what you use not what others are happy/unhappy with.

Both BB and Android have their pros and cons.
    09-22-10 08:55 AM
    I use noLED app for emails, missed calls, chat and other notifications. It bounces multi-color icons on black screen when you are on standy, if you have new/missed notifications. Minimal battery usage.

But yeah, if you depend on your email heavily, BB is much better in that department.

I don't know what people are complaining about with the battery life. My Bold used to last one day on full charge. My Captivate lasts one day too, and I browse/chat/play throughout the day. I don't have any task killers, or live wallpaper running on the background.
    Last edited by pixel8rberry; 09-22-10 at 11:07 AM.
    09-22-10 11:05 AM
    Ive got a Torch ive been wanting to trade for the Captivate...if your interested email me at [email protected]
    10-24-10 10:45 AM
    I actually tried the torch for 1 day & returned it. The new OS seems to have tons of options that aren't needed. Such as the most used..really? I need a phone to tell me what I use most often? No, not really. I miss the email client for BB, I really do. But so far developers haven't jumped on with RIM to make new apps/games from what I saw & the call quality (most important) was trash! I made 6 calls in a 20 hour period & all calls were distorted. Maybe it was a bad handset, but I went back to the captivate. Yes, I had a couple issues, signal in my apartment (not the phone but rather AT&t/my building), bad email client, bad battery. The screen for the torch was beautiful, the keyboard was great! The phone it self was slow & bad call quality. The Captivate (on wifi) is super fast! Great apps! HUGE memory with the 16gb on board & my 16gb sd card. Great call quality & awesome camera! I'm using a different skin & I rooted it so it runs much better & faster!!!

Until RIM installs a 1ghz processor & the app market gets better, I think the captivate is & will always be the phone for me! I've tried SO many phones!!!

Dell Streak
    Blackberry 85xx/8900/9000/9700/9800
    Htc Touch pro 2/tilt 2
    Htc HD
    Htc HD2
    Nokia n900
    Nokia e71
    Palm Pre Plus
    Samsung Moment
    And so many more going all the way back to the Htc tilt 1 & Samsung Blackjack 1 & no other phone lives up to the Samsung Captivate!!!
    10-26-10 01:02 AM
    Oh, Thanks robbeane. But I'm gonna hold onto this phone. If I do decide to switch it'll be for another android phone or a Palm Pre Plus 2 for at&t.
    10-26-10 01:05 AM
    To improve battery life on Galaxy S phones:
    After each reboot, toggle Airplane mode on and then off - this prevents "Time Without Signal" from being ~50% and killing your battery
    Also after each reboot, kill the DRM service by going to Menu>Settings>Applications>Running services (you can automate this process if you're rooted)
    Set WiFi sleep to "Never" by going to Menu>Settings>Wireless & networks>Wi-Fi settings>Menu>Advanced>Wi-Fi sleep policy
    10-26-10 01:40 AM
    To improve battery life on Galaxy S phones:
    After each reboot, toggle Airplane mode on and then off - this prevents "Time Without Signal" from being ~50% and killing your battery
    Also after each reboot, kill the DRM service by going to Menu>Settings>Applications>Running services (you can automate this process if you're rooted)
    Set WiFi sleep to "Never" by going to Menu>Settings>Wireless & networks>Wi-Fi settings>Menu>Advanced>Wi-Fi sleep policy
    Ragnarokx I'm a Droid newbie. Will you please tell me how I can go about automating the process to kill the DRM service on my rooted Captivate?

Also, how often should I reboot?

TIA
    10-28-10 01:05 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD