So I'm getting an Eris soon and was talking to a buddy of mine, and he said I should root it. Now I don't know what that means or even how to do it, and unfortunately he didn't have time to explain what that is exactly, so here's my question:
    What is rooting a phone mean, does it void the warranty, and what's the adv of doing it?

Thanks for your help all

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-05-10 10:34 AM
    Rooting it means you become like an administrator on a windows computer. In linux terms it means your a superuser but same thing. Basically lets you do whatever you want to your phone ... such as making your notification bar transparent. Not sure if it voids your warranty but its more for the people that love to tinker with the phone to the extreme .... I would say its not worth it especially at the beginning when you don't really know much about the os and phone itself.
    01-05-10 10:38 AM
    IIRC rooting does void your warranty and you can no longer recieve OTA updates.
    01-05-10 10:57 AM
    01-05-10 11:02 AM
    You are right, it does void your warranty, but you CAN still receive OTA updates. Of course, it will unroot the phone. Thats why people typically disable OTA updating after rooting the phone. Rooting is considered an exploit of the OS, and Google will do what it can to close the hole.
    01-05-10 11:08 AM
    You are right, it does void your warranty, but you CAN still receive OTA updates. Of course, it will unroot the phone. Thats why people typically disable OTA updating after rooting the phone. Rooting is considered an exploit of the OS, and Google will do what it can to close the hole.
    HE is right... up until you said Rooting is an exploit. Rooting again is giving you superuser access.

There is no hole that Google will fill... its an Open Sourced OS. Which means rooting is vital.
    01-05-10 11:24 AM
    No, I AM right. Google DOES consider rooting to be an exploit of the OS.

I said it was CONSIDERED. Not that it was. I've been using Linux since 97, I am fully aware what root is.

If Google did not consider it an exploit, they would not try to patch it every time its done. By the way, the 2.0.1 hole has been patched already. THe update will likely show up in 2.1, in which, there will need to be a new hole found.

In the event you don't believe me that Google doesn't patch these things:

https://review.source.android.com/#change,12807
    Last edited by adrynalyne; 01-05-10 at 11:32 AM.
    01-05-10 11:30 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD