1 Ghz processor, 5 MP camera, 512 MB ram, touch screen, pinch to zoom, 9700-style keyboard. In other words...it's perfect. It runs Motoblur, which I'm not a fan of, but with the multitude of available launchers in the market, that isn't a problem. If it was available on my carrier, I'd get it in a heartbeat. So...do you agree?
    11-13-10 05:31 PM
    No RIM does not have to be like Android.
    11-13-10 05:32 PM
    Most of the reviews have not been too favorable- I'm a little reluctant to say it would be better than a BB- but perhapse RIM should upgrade a couple essentials- processor especially

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-13-10 05:47 PM
    No RIM does not have to be like Android.
    They'd better try something, because what they're doing now isn't working.
    11-13-10 05:49 PM
    I actually just read a couple good reviews so maybe its a decent choice- but ill stick with BBM

11-13-10 05:59 PM
    I honestly think this device is not worth it, coming from a BB physical QWERTY. The screen is nothing spectacular. The keyboard appears to be poorly designed (layout-wise).

I jumped ship to an X. I said, many times before I did, that I could never rely on a touch-screen keyboard. The size of the X's screen makes that point moot. I can type just as fast or even faster with the multi-touch KB. And, the suggestion bar just adds to that.

That said. I played with the Pro, the other day, and was not impressed one bit.
    11-13-10 06:44 PM
    I think if anything its just yet another option out there for people. RIM was pretty much the only thing with that style phone in the US market, and now there is options.
    11-13-10 08:03 PM
    I think if anything its just yet another option out there for people. RIM was pretty much the only thing with that style phone in the US market, and now there is options.
    AGREED and to the naysayers, you really think RIM had it all together when they first introduced the first BB with a keyboard, he11 they still can't get it together. Oh well, at least they mastered a KEYBOARD on a device, so guess they get points for something.

I see this doing nothing but improving with time, just like every other device ever made, RIM being the exception of course
    11-14-10 08:11 AM
    I currently have a Bold. I love the keyboard. I went into the Verizon store to take a look at the pro. I looked at it and the keyboard is a bit smaller than my Bold and the layout is different, but I think it would only take a little while to get used to. A week or so and itd be just like the BB.

What I didn't like about the phone was the screen. I guess I was expecting something better even with the low resolution but I didn't like it. At least not with a Driod 2 and X sitting next to it, lol

I wanted to like it, but I didn't. I think they'll get it. Its their first one and its a good start. I bet the next one will be better

I left actually liking the X the best. Now I hear the new T2 device will be like the X but a little smaller and that would pretty much perfect for me. I'm waiting for that. That or the super EVO that's coming soon, but I think thatll be a bit too big for my taste

Last edited by loki993; 11-14-10 at 10:46 AM.
    11-14-10 10:43 AM
    Strange thing on the Droid Pro keyboard - the numbers are placed in the top row instead of in a phone block like a BB. While it did get a little cramped on a BB typing a 7 and 4, the layout still seems far superior to the row of numbers.
    11-14-10 12:13 PM
    No RIM doesn't need to come out with a unstable,buggy fad

11-14-10 12:15 PM
    Well, that's what they've been rolling out lately.

11-14-10 12:41 PM

But, that is exactly what they've been doing for the last 2 years.
    11-14-10 01:22 PM
    Rim's keyboard is great, the OS is suckin, and the hardware is subpar. They need to pick up their game cause right now their hardware is only on par with cheap chinese knock offs.
    11-14-10 01:53 PM
    Strange thing on the Droid Pro keyboard - the numbers are placed in the top row instead of in a phone block like a BB. While it did get a little cramped on a BB typing a 7 and 4, the layout still seems far superior to the row of numbers.
    I noticed that too. Honestly I figured the intention was to just dial on screen and not the keyboard. That way with the numbers on top its more like a regular keyboard

11-14-10 02:09 PM

What is unstable and how is it a fad?
    11-14-10 02:23 PM
    I like this design of phone - giving the user the best of both worlds (Keyboard + Touchscreen).

However, I don't like sliding phones. It seems that if the sliding mechanism is strong enough to last a 2yr contract the phone is very thick, and if the mechanism is small enough to not be a brick the mechanism tends to feel loose or wobbly.

So RIM please make the screen, trackball, and top 4 buttons on my Tour into a multi-touch touchscreen.
    Last edited by Mr.Monty; 11-14-10 at 02:53 PM.
    11-14-10 02:49 PM
    What is unstable and how is it a fad?
    Didn't you know, with all the leaked OS's and unstable Officials (what was fixed in the previous, is now broke in the latest) and the all exclusive messenger app that only the "cool people" use, OH WAIT, I thought we were talking BB, my bad.

In total agreeance with you on this one Avt.
    11-15-10 05:46 AM

Your ignorance does not surprise me at all. So many people in BB land refuse to admit there might be something better out there. Get your head out of the sand.
    11-15-10 07:19 AM
    Your ignorance does not surprise me at all. So many people in BB land refuse to admit there might be something better out there. Get your head out of the sand.
    You will never convince the faithful. It's like trying to drive a nail through a rock. In their minds, they must come to grips with the fact that although Blackberry's cost as much as higher end phones on other platforms, they do much less. But hey, "It does what they need it to do.".
    11-15-10 07:32 AM
    I think it's funniest that people, BLASTED Android when they first came out. "It'll never last", "no one wants open source"... then a few years go by Motorola goes Headhunting by making the Droid Pro. Looks and feels just like the mythical "bold style phone with a touch screen". Then everyone claims it's ugly and bad to the eyes. and now that it's released they scream "RIM YOU SHOULD BE MAKING THIS PHONE"... While i agree it is a nice phone. It just seems to me that if you want "phone A" you would buy "phone A".... Oh well...

and can someone please tell me why Android is just a buggy fad?... seems to be the number one phone in NA right now.

11-15-10 09:06 AM
    You will never convince the faithful. It's like trying to drive a nail through a rock. In their minds, they must come to grips with the fact that although Blackberry's cost as much as higher end phones on other platforms, they do much less. But hey, "It does what they need it to do.".
    So true. That's like being a Honda fan for years, then just buying the next Honda because it does what you want. Look at everything out there, then decide. If ultimately it's still a BB, then go forth and enjoy.

I'm in sales, and one thing I can never afford to forget is that people don't know what they don't know. How can someone make a decision on what suits them best if they don't know the options out there?
    11-15-10 09:30 AM
    Maybe it's because it doesn't have BBM, or the email doesn't work the way they want?

I think what's being lost is how gmail can act like a BIS server, minus the email truncation (maybe they miss this, too, who knows? ) via forwarding of pop addresses through gmail. That, or use something like K9 or touchdown.
    11-15-10 09:33 AM
    I was one of those die-hard BB guys so I can understand where they are coming from. Without getting long-winded like I tend to do, I'll just say I believe it's a fear of the unknown. We have all had the crappy phones of yesteryear, then we got on BB and it was amazing how well they worked. To leave that now is a scary thing since it was the only phone to "work well" for many years.

Now that I've finally ventured to the Android side (after exploring the iPhone side as well) I can fully appreciate why Android is the number 1 OS right now, and growing. I'm not going to knock the people who don't leave BB, I'm sure it does fine for them and they probably don't need what these new gen phones offer. Just like my dad feels he doesn't need a cell phone, or these people who still refuse to use email. They are in the minority, but if it works for them, then more power to them. They are just left behind with their outdated means of communication. Technology marches on.

I definitely do not miss the battery-pulls that are just accepted as normal. How many people would keep their car if they had to disconnect the battery in their car once a day to reset the computer? I'm just saying.
    11-15-10 09:52 AM
    Maybe it's because it doesn't have BBM, or the email doesn't work the way they want?

I think what's being lost is how gmail can act like a BIS server, minus the email truncation (maybe they miss this, too, who knows? ) via forwarding of pop addresses through gmail. That, or use something like K9 or touchdown.
    Google Cloud blows away BIS.
    Why Rim faithful are in denial of that fact is beyond me but hey what ever floats their boat.
    If their happy with BIS crash every other day so be it
    Last edited by Slingbox; 11-15-10 at 10:16 AM.
    11-15-10 10:13 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD