Okay fellas/ladies, is there any way to rid my phone of the annoying and unnecessary programs so endearingly known as bloatware without having to "root" my device? BlackBerrys have programs/apps that you can download to your handheld that clean it of such things: sample pictures and carrier specific traits/features that no one uses, but I've yet to hear of any such thing for Android and I don't want to root my phone because I don't want to lose the native UI and some of the stock programs that it came with, which I much enjoy the use of. Tell me there's just something that I'm simply ignorant to because of my lack of involvement in these tech type forums...???
    09-12-10 08:47 PM
    i dont think you get the meaning of root....you wont lose the UI or any stock programs etc. You will be able to remove the bloatware though without issue
    09-12-10 08:52 PM
    If you want the most customizable experience you will want to get on your own BES and write your own service books.

Other than that, connect to DM and remove everything that is unwanted. Any icons from your carrier are just launchers if not installed by you, just hide them as they have no effect on device performance.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-12-10 09:40 PM
    If you want the most customizable experience you will want to get on your own BES and write your own service books.

Other than that, connect to DM and remove everything that is unwanted. Any icons from your carrier are just launchers if not installed by you, just hide them as they have no effect on device performance.
    The OP has an Android device, LOL.
    09-12-10 09:42 PM

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    you need to take reading lessons again....
    Last edited by howarmat; 09-12-10 at 09:59 PM.
    09-12-10 09:53 PM
    i dont think you get the meaning of root....you wont lose the UI or any stock programs etc. You will be able to remove the bloatware though without issue
    yeah but maybe he doesn't want to void his warranty. i am very interested in his question too. is there a way like in a blackberry to remove programs aka Bloatware from ur android?
    09-12-10 10:06 PM
    With Blackberry you are still stuck with carrier apps/icons pushed via the service books though.

To the OP, if you use Launcher Pro, you can hide the icons for the bloatware and unused apps in your app drawer, just as you would with the Blackberry.
    09-12-10 10:18 PM
    yeah but maybe he doesn't want to void his warranty. i am very interested in his question too. is there a way like in a blackberry to remove programs aka Bloatware from ur android?
    He can unroot it if he needs to turn it in for warranty repair/replace. I unrooted so I could do the OTA froyo upgrade. Then I rooted it again.

To the OP, root it and then install Root Explorer from the market. The program is $3 but is he easiest way to remove bloatware.
    09-13-10 08:18 AM
    You can use a launcher to hide them. ADW and Launcher Pro allow you customize your app drawer so you only see what you want.
    09-13-10 08:47 AM
    from every post i've read regarding rooting people have said it's to remove the branded UI and go to a basic linux operating system... which i think i remember to be an older macintosh system, but i love samsung's touchwiz3 on my vibrant, so if i've misread or been misled by what i've read, then i'd love to know, rooting wouldn't be so horrible then.
    09-13-10 12:11 PM
    with my BB i've already rid my phone of the programs i don't want, they don't require a rooting to do so, there are apps (MaxMem) that allow you to do it right from your handheld. however, with my Vibrant there are no such apps/programs that you can simply download, it seems, without having to root the phone first. the bloatware isn't a huge deal, there's plenty of harddrive on this thing to handle whatever, it's just an annoyance and unnecessary clutter that i have to sift through. oh well, i'll just deal with it.
    09-13-10 12:16 PM
    He can unroot it if he needs to turn it in for warranty repair/replace. I unrooted so I could do the OTA froyo upgrade. Then I rooted it again.

To the OP, root it and then install Root Explorer from the market. The program is $3 but is he easiest way to remove bloatware.
    unfortunately you're right. as long as the phone is functional you can unroot, and if not, then you don't have to worry about being caught for having it rooted. i guess there really is no sense in not rooting, i'm just far too afraid to do it. even with a fine backup phone it seems so stupid to even attempt it. what's worse is i got the phone free, so why wouldn't i... LOL! i guess because i'm content with how it is right now. not head over heels happy with it, but content nonetheless.
    09-13-10 01:11 PM
    With Blackberry you are still stuck with carrier apps/icons pushed via the service books though.

To the OP, if you use Launcher Pro, you can hide the icons for the bloatware and unused apps in your app drawer, just as you would with the Blackberry.
    You can use a launcher to hide them. ADW and Launcher Pro allow you customize your app drawer so you only see what you want.
    with my BB i've already rid my phone of the programs i don't want, they don't require a rooting to do so, there are apps (MaxMem) that allow you to do it right from your handheld. however, with my Vibrant there are no such apps/programs that you can simply download, it seems, without having to root the phone first. the bloatware isn't a huge deal, there's plenty of harddrive on this thing to handle whatever, it's just an annoyance and unnecessary clutter that i have to sift through. oh well, i'll just deal with it.
    Have you not read our posts? You can hide all the apps/icons that you don't want to see from your app drawer. Less clutter, and it doesn't require root. Just download and install ADW or Launcher Pro to replace your stock launcher. If you do that, clear off all your screens in your stock launcher first, especially the widgets.
    09-13-10 02:57 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD