11-03-09 03:47 PM
    crazy battery life....VERY nice
    11-03-09 04:12 PM
    The battery review seems fairly lame. If you want to really hammer the battery, talk on the phone using a BT headset. THEN tell us how long the battery lasts.

If you *really* want hammer it, do that while also using WiFi to surf the web.

Talking on the phone using a BT headset kills my Storm battery faster than anything else. I'd like to know if the Droid lasts longer doing that.
    11-03-09 04:14 PM
    I don't know I agree that bluetooth sucks battery, but I think that battery test was pretty sweet. Try doing that on a storm it would have lasted 3 hours.
    11-03-09 04:22 PM
    I really don't care how long that test would have lasted on a Storm. I don't ever use my Storm to do that. But I DO use my Storm to talk on the phone - often with a BT headset....
    11-03-09 04:32 PM
    My point was that if he can get 7 hours out of the batery doing that, one would think the battery would hold up fairly well to talking on the phone with BT. Could be wrong though.
    11-03-09 04:36 PM
    Stuart the battery lasted 7 hours and 1 minute under a "stress test"

That test put the battery under severe strain and it held up nicely. It's a great indication of the overall battery life.

The Droid is shaping up to be an excellent device. I'm pretty impressed with the intitial reviews and videos I've seen so far. I'm looking forward to getting my hands on this beast in 3 days.

My Tour wouldn't last 7 hours just sitting on the table : )
    Last edited by cereal killer; 11-03-09 at 04:43 PM.
    11-03-09 04:40 PM
    Oh, Boo-hoo.
    * "It doesn't have multi-touch, sort of".
    > Just wait a week or two after release, I'm sure some somebody, somewhere will fix that. Open source - isn't that why you bought it in the first place?

* No Flash???
    > Jesus, Give Adobe a second would you? When Flash 10 drops on this thing soon enough, you can wipe your nose then.

*Camera isn't HAWTT.
    > Is was expecting more, myself - but I've said it once, I'll say it again... if you want decent photos, get a decent camera. Not one glued to a phone.

***Battery life for TEH WIN*** Sweet.
    Last edited by Digital_Cataclysm; 11-03-09 at 04:59 PM.
    11-03-09 04:57 PM
    My storm use to do that with my screen off and no music playing. Of course with 5.0 its much better but it could never do what his droid did.
    11-03-09 05:03 PM
    Stuart the battery lasted 7 hours and 1 minute under a "stress test"

That test put the battery under severe strain and it held up nicely. It's a great indication of the overall battery life.

The Droid is shaping up to be an excellent device. I'm pretty impressed with the intitial reviews and videos I've seen so far. I'm looking forward to getting my hands on this beast in 3 days.

My Tour wouldn't last 7 hours just sitting on the table : )
    What severe strain? Running the screen, playing music, and running Google Nav for 1 hour??

The only radio transmitter operating during any of that would be sending data to Google Nav. Unless he was driving around during that, it wouldn't be sending any data during most of that. And, even if he was driving around, how much data would be transmitted??

The point is (like I already said), if you want to test a PHONE's battery life, you better have it doing some PHONE things. Like running a radio transmitter. If it the phone has 3 of them (CDMA, BlueTooth, WiFi), and you want your test to qualify as a "severe strain", you ought to run all 3 transmitters at once.

That test was a joke, and anybody who says "my XYZ phone would never have lasted that long" is in the Full of Baloney category until they actually DO the exact same test and get empirical results. And do it using a reasonably new battery, too. Not some battery that's a year or two old and doesn't last nearly as along as a new one.
    11-04-09 09:49 AM
    What severe strain? Running the screen, playing music, and running Google Nav for 1 hour??

The only radio transmitter operating during any of that would be sending data to Google Nav. Unless he was driving around during that, it wouldn't be sending any data during most of that. And, even if he was driving around, how much data would be transmitted??

The point is (like I already said), if you want to test a PHONE's battery life, you better have it doing some PHONE things. Like running a radio transmitter. If it the phone has 3 of them (CDMA, BlueTooth, WiFi), and you want your test to qualify as a "severe strain", you ought to run all 3 transmitters at once.

That test was a joke, and anybody who says "my XYZ phone would never have lasted that long" is in the Full of Baloney category until they actually DO the exact same test and get empirical results. And do it using a reasonably new battery, too. Not some battery that's a year or two old and doesn't last nearly as along as a new one.
    Dude, why so angry man? lol
    11-04-09 10:29 AM
    I have a fairly new Storm and driving around for close to 2 hours using Garmin brought my battery down to around 48% from a full charge. Granted it was done while I was still on .167 but I can't imagine 5.0 has changed battery life sufficiently to completely nullify my results.

I use BT frequently and while it certainly impacts life I don't see it as a monsterous battery killer.

Besides the screen is one of the biggest drains on a battery and he left it on.
    Last edited by atomicwedgie; 11-04-09 at 11:15 AM.
    11-04-09 10:37 AM
    LOL @ mikey. roid raging and it's only lunch time. go you!

anyway...i wish someone would do a good review of the email functionality.
    11-04-09 11:46 AM

BAD EMAIL SUPPORT - NOBODY USES G-MAIL
    Really? I know a ton of people that use Gmail. Would you rather have Yahoo or Hotmail make a phone?? Lets see how that works out for you.

Worse smartphone camera on the market as well
    The pictures in that review were far from terrible. The guy was nitpicking like crazy. The picture that he took of the room in complete darkness was damn near perfectly clear and he still complained about it. That picture with any other phone would result in either a completely black picture, or a very dim, blurry room. Like everyone keeps saying, yeah it's great to have a decent camera on a phone, but I will never use my phone as my primary picture taking device. Never.
    11-04-09 01:01 PM
    Worse smartphone camera on the market as well

terrible music app

more vzw garbage
    You're very very angry...................
    11-04-09 01:05 PM

1st: remove the stick

2nd: try and remove the broken off thorns

3rd: my battery last longer now, almost a year old, then when I first bought the phone. By far.
    11-04-09 02:22 PM
    LOL @ mikey. roid raging and it's only lunch time. go you!

anyway...i wish someone would do a good review of the email functionality.
    haha MAA PROTEIN!!
    11-04-09 02:26 PM

That test was a joke, and anybody who says "my XYZ phone would never have lasted that long" is in the Full of Baloney category until they actually DO the exact same test and get empirical results.
    come on Stuart next thing you will want is a car running over the Droid to prove it's got great build quality....
    11-04-09 02:39 PM
    I don't get the people that come in, talk angry trash and expect anyone to even consider what they say to be rational.

I don't know about others but I am way more inclined to take heed of something said in a calm knowledgeable manner than harsh words spewed by some deranged muppet that could likely be the next serial killer.

Anyway, I use Gmail too so I guess I'm just not cool anymore.
    11-04-09 02:51 PM
    11-04-09 03:03 PM
    I have a fairly new Storm and driving around for close to 2 hours using Garmin brought my battery down to around 48% from a full charge. Granted it was done while I was still on .167 but I can't imagine 5.0 has changed battery life sufficiently to completely nullify my results.
    2 hours of continuous GPS use with the maps coming via EVDO using 50% of battery is decent imo. that's about as heavy as you can use the thing. I bet you'd use half the battery in a TomTom doing 2 hours. Next see how long using Garmin AND talking on the phone lol.
    11-04-09 03:24 PM
    3rd: my battery last longer now, almost a year old, then when I first bought the phone. By far.
    And your point is?

My point was that, if you're going to do a (useful) test, for the purpose of comparing phones, then you have to control variables. You just acknowledged that phone batteries change in their usage characteristics over time. So, regarding that particular variable, when testing phones (for purposes of comparing them), the test needs to use new or nearly new batteries in all phones. Otherwise, you cannot compare the results (if you are a rational person).
    11-04-09 04:03 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD