Okay, I have no idea what was going on, must've been that I needed to reboot after the first failed attempt. I did remove the widget first, and perhaps that could've been a partial culprit, but in any case it, again, took just about 5-10 minutes and voila, the root is finished and I was able to reapply the Task Manager widget to my Desktop. Everything looks good, now I need to test the capabilities of this whole process. First thing's first... removing the bloatware!!! Will keep you all apprised, there's a vicious side of me that's really hoping this doesn't work so I can justify my bullheaded nay-saying from before! ;D LOL!

Dang, okay, so now this brings up a question... how the heck to I delete these programs? They don't show up in my uninstaller app, and that's the only way I know how.
    Last edited by BeyondTheBox; 11-28-10 at 08:03 PM.
    11-28-10 08:01 PM
    Still waiting on unrEVOked...

Jealous of all you rooted people.
    11-28-10 08:56 PM
    BTB, the best source for removing bloatware from your device will always be a forum with a specific subforum dedicated to your device.

I suggest xda, androidforums, or DroidForums. Do some reading as it is possible to brick your device by messing with system files. It's always advisable to rename files rather than deleting them, they will be easier to restore if anything goes wrong.

Also, make a backup with a custom recovery before messing around.
    11-28-10 09:52 PM
    In addition to those sites, my droid world and android central are good too.
    11-28-10 10:15 PM
    Still waiting on unrEVOked...

Jealous of all you rooted people.
    What type of android are you using?
    11-29-10 07:36 AM
    What type of android are you using?
    I'm on one of the newer build EVOs (3.30/Hardware 0.004). The new firmware has not been beaten by the unrEVOked crew yet...
    11-29-10 05:59 PM
    I'm on one of the newer build EVOs (3.30/Hardware 0.004). The new firmware has not been beaten by the unrEVOked crew yet...
    Ah okay. That makes sense. I just Android wasn't so fragmented.
    11-29-10 07:37 PM

You can do the HBoot 2.02 S-OFF route. There's a good step by step tutorial out there.
    11-30-10 03:49 PM
    Okay, I have no idea what was going on, must've been that I needed to reboot after the first failed attempt. I did remove the widget first, and perhaps that could've been a partial culprit, but in any case it, again, took just about 5-10 minutes and voila, the root is finished and I was able to reapply the Task Manager widget to my Desktop. Everything looks good, now I need to test the capabilities of this whole process. First thing's first... removing the bloatware!!! Will keep you all apprised, there's a vicious side of me that's really hoping this doesn't work so I can justify my bullheaded nay-saying from before! ;D LOL!

Dang, okay, so now this brings up a question... how the heck to I delete these programs? They don't show up in my uninstaller app, and that's the only way I know how.
    Prior to doing anything head over to XDA and check your device for what is safe to get rid of I would not delete it but use this----->Safest way is to get titanium backup and freeze what you don't want. That way if screw up and uninstall an app that you must have you are safe you just thaw it and all is good.
    BeyondTheBox likes this.
    12-01-10 03:08 PM
    I don't necessarily care to uninstall the bloatware, but rather simply remove the annoying icon from my applications folder/list. I just don't want to see the damn things. I mean, don't get me wrong, if it's possible to get rid of it I'd be more than happy to, but as long as it's out of sight, it's out of mind... ya dig? Really all I need is a way to create a folder in the application page that I can then move the undesired apps to and/or hide (like with blackberry). I was able to do the screen shot app, which thus far has proven to be the ony thing (though valueless) that's resulted from this rooting. Might try some custom ROM eventually and do some overclocking, though I really see no point, this thing is plenty fast for my use of it, but for now I think I'll unroot. I think it's a pretty pointless thing to do unless you do custom ROMs, and in all honesty, I see no reason to do so, I love this thing as is, aside from the annying bloatware.
    12-02-10 12:24 PM
    If your just looking to "hide" the useless app icons..look into LauncherPro. It's a dock and allows you to hide icons. I use it and it's pretty nice.
    BeyondTheBox likes this.
    12-02-10 12:52 PM
    I don't necessarily care to uninstall the bloatware, but rather simply remove the annoying icon from my applications folder/list. I just don't want to see the damn things. I mean, don't get me wrong, if it's possible to get rid of it I'd be more than happy to, but as long as it's out of sight, it's out of mind... ya dig? Really all I need is a way to create a folder in the application page that I can then move the undesired apps to and/or hide (like with blackberry). I was able to do the screen shot app, which thus far has proven to be the ony thing (though valueless) that's resulted from this rooting. Might try some custom ROM eventually and do some overclocking, though I really see no point, this thing is plenty fast for my use of it, but for now I think I'll unroot. I think it's a pretty pointless thing to do unless you do custom ROMs, and in all honesty, I see no reason to do so, I love this thing as is, aside from the annying bloatware.
    See my post above yours freezing apps removes the icon from homescreen without removing the app
    12-02-10 01:31 PM
    Like RR said, I use LP to hide icons.
    12-02-10 05:37 PM
    You can do the HBoot 2.02 S-OFF route. There's a good step by step tutorial out there.
    Yep, I have that on tap for if I get too antsy waiting on unrEVOked.
    12-02-10 05:49 PM
    Prior to doing anything head over to XDA and check your device for what is safe to get rid of I would not delete it but use this----->Safest way is to get titanium backup and freeze what you don't want. That way if screw up and uninstall an app that you must have you are safe you just thaw it and all is good.
    Thanks AP, and I did... thank you that is, the way of visible validation. Is XDA the only place I can find this Titanium backup? Can I do it OTA via my phone? I'm heading over there, just thought I'd inquire.
    12-02-10 10:52 PM
    If your just looking to "hide" the useless app icons..look into LauncherPro. It's a dock and allows you to hide icons. I use it and it's pretty nice.
    I'll check this one out as well, thanks rolla!
    12-02-10 10:58 PM
    So, thanks to the awesome advice here, I've rooted, backed up, and "frozen" the bloatware in my app drawer. The only things I have left to do is figure out how to make it faster, I assume that's the purpose of overclocking, which I also assume requires some sort of app to do, thus suggestions would be much appreciated. The other is to understand how to tether, too under the assumption that this would need an app to achieve, as would offerings be very welcomed here.

Thanks again to all of the helpfulness, so far I'm very happy with the z4 temporary root, might just go with a permanent here soon.
    12-03-10 12:05 PM
    I use Set CPU to overclock/underclock my Droid 2. You can find it in the Android Market...
    BeyondTheBox likes this.
    12-03-10 12:39 PM
    I use Set CPU to overclock/underclock my Droid 2. You can find it in the Android Market...
    I'm all about the android market suggestions, so thanks for that Deceit!
    12-03-10 12:44 PM
    Understand SetCPU does not overclock the device it allows you to set the speeds you will need to do some research on your specific device and how to OC it.
    12-03-10 12:48 PM
    The app description says for Galaxy S users to "use conservative scaling", what's that all aboot? Being inexperienced to this the understanding of the words does me no good without proper contextual application. Thanks!
    12-03-10 12:48 PM
    Understand SetCPU does not overclock the device it allows you to set the speeds you will need to do some research on your specific device and how to OC it.
    While you're at it, see if your cpu can run on lower voltage settings as well. An overclocked cpu running at lower voltage settings (if stable) can do so, often at no cost to battery performance.
    12-03-10 12:50 PM
    You're right, see I have the Droid 2 and also have the Droid 2 overclock application by jrummy. It is only for the Droid 2 and X, though...
    12-03-10 12:58 PM

You can get the .apk direct from the developer @ XDA.
    SevereDeceit likes this.
    12-03-10 01:04 PM
    The app description says for Galaxy S users to "use conservative scaling", what's that all aboot? Being inexperienced to this the understanding of the words does me no good without proper contextual application. Thanks!

Once you have the S overclocked DO NOT SET AT BOOT it may FUBAR your phone. Make sure you can run the phone at OC speeds and like Syborg said UV and OC
    12-03-10 01:30 PM
118 12345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD