This is the one issue that has me hesitant to switch over to Droid. I love the phone, but I'm so used to getting my yahoo email pushed that I'm really hesitant to go back to a phone that has to poll.
    01-16-10 11:46 AM
    This is the one issue that has me hesitant to switch over to Droid. I love the phone, but I'm so used to getting my yahoo email pushed that I'm really hesitant to go back to a phone that has to poll.
    Are you in a job where you're required to get e-mail instantaneous? Or can you wait for that newsletter to show up on your phone, up to a WHOLE HOUR later? I think the majority of people really make a bigger deal than it is. So you may have to wait *gasp* a polling period?

You guys DO REALIZE that BB polls all but Yahoo! and Gmail at 15-minue intervals, until it finds mail, right? If you want to impress your friends, set it to poll at 5-minute intervals then do a bunch of tests.

You'll win. By a mile.
    01-16-10 06:52 PM
    i even did a side by side test with the same email accounts on both my storm 2 and on the DROID, the droid got the exchange email almost 20 seconds faster and a personal email (gmail) about 10 seconds faster then the storm 2.

i ran this test 5 times over 2 days to make sure it wasnt just some fluke and every time the droid got both emails faster then the allmighty email machine(blackberry)
    Blackberries cannot connect directly to Exchange. I am not surprised that gmail syncs faster on a Droid. It's a google phone.

Personally I wouldn't want to use a Storm or a Droid for email, the Droid has a crappy keyboard and the storm doesn't even have a keyboard.
    01-16-10 07:15 PM
    What about contacts and calendar? Do either the Droid or Storm 2 us push to up date those?

That is one thing that I really hate about RIM is that I have always had to either plug in to the USB cable or turn on bluetooth to get those to sync, and then it is syncing with my computer, not the server.
    The Droid will if you use Google contacts and Calendar. Like every other BB, the storm requires a BES account to do this. OTOH at least you don"t have to use Google contacts.
    01-16-10 07:19 PM
    No problems with my exchange. Sending, receiving, accepting appointments...all flawless.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-16-10 08:21 PM
    I had to have a 3rd party app on my Storm to get exchange email. It cost 6x as much as the app I have for the Droid. Storm app polled and the Droid app pushes.

No comparison. Exchange works great on the droid. I would prefer the storm keyboard over the physical keyboard of the Droid though. Virtual for me..
    01-16-10 09:25 PM
    Truth is.....I don't miss the BB. Sorry for leaving you for something better Canada!
    01-16-10 09:49 PM
    Are you in a job where you're required to get e-mail instantaneous? Or can you wait for that newsletter to show up on your phone, up to a WHOLE HOUR later? I think the majority of people really make a bigger deal than it is. So you may have to wait *gasp* a polling period?

You guys DO REALIZE that BB polls all but Yahoo! and Gmail at 15-minue intervals, until it finds mail, right? If you want to impress your friends, set it to poll at 5-minute intervals then do a bunch of tests.

You'll win. By a mile.
    Thats actually not true. I had my University email through BIS and it would arrive as soon as it was sent and received by the main account. Mind you it was IMAP....

Maybe thats true for a POP account?
    01-17-10 01:13 AM
    If you are beyond old ways....then the droid will CRUSH BB, in all areas of life.....
    01-17-10 04:33 AM
    I think I'm going thru phases. I use to want to have email as a must but now I want web browsing. As long as I can get emails to my device within a reasonable time (within 30 minutes) I'm good.
    01-17-10 11:46 AM
    Thats actually not true. I had my University email through BIS and it would arrive as soon as it was sent and received by the main account. Mind you it was IMAP....

Maybe thats true for a POP account?
    POP accounts, yes. For my University e-mail, they outsourced it to Google, so I have it set to immediately forward it to my main Gmail account, tag it as school e-mail, and push it to my phone. I get responses within 3, 5 seconds of it being sent.

I was referring to POP3 accounts, such as Hotmail and Yahoo!, or AOL. I've got mine set up where Gmail itself polls for my Hotmail, and d/l's whatever is there. If I'm impatient (e.g. waiting on pizza confirmation), I can log into Hotmail and see if it's waiting to be nabbed. That's because POP3 is a fetch system - and Gmail can take up to an hour between grabs, or as little as 10, 15 minutes. I think it's random when it goes looking.
    01-17-10 02:05 PM
    My University email was outsourced to Google a couple months ago, as well.

You know you can use the Gmail client on the Droid for it as well? Just add a second account, and then add the account in. If its like mine, you have a different password for non-web access of your email.
    01-17-10 02:36 PM
    Question: My work e-mail is a web-based IMAP service. Will this work with Android? (the service is called roundcube).
    01-18-10 09:03 PM
    Question: My work e-mail is a web-based IMAP service. Will this work with Android? (the service is called roundcube).
    Probably. What they don't tell you here is that no matter is it's "pushed" or "routed" or "forwarded" all of the email comes through some pathway/server that starts at their source (phone, pc, whatever) and ends at your phone, using their connection source and ending with yours (verizon probably). All of that takes some time and depends on just how the cookie crumbles up there in wireless server land. I can get email in seconds or in 10 minutes on my BB from my wife sent from upstairs to downstairs usiing Tmobile or using Verizon depending on the friggin weather for all I know. I guarantee you that nobody here can tell you how it exactly works for all email clients and phones. It's just too many variables.
    Last edited by thebignewt; 01-18-10 at 09:17 PM.
    01-18-10 09:13 PM
    Yes it can, and it can push them all (only if you know how to use, set up, maybe forward a yahoo email account.) Exchange is good, and if you aren't above a GMail account, the droid performs as good (if not better than my storm, as my GMail email seems to be instant.) The BB performs good too, with push email, but unlike GMail, it isn't instant like you think it is. The BB servers BIS do there share of pulling before pushing. I am not sure of the exacts, but someone on here with over 10,000 post does, and I figured that was credible enough for me. They are both good, one can cut the web, and one just spins the old hour glass. He he
    01-18-10 10:16 PM
40 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD