Now I don't just mean GMail. I have AOL accounts that I need pushed to the device now I don't need it in an instant like B/B does but can I get it say within 20 minutes on a Droid?
    11-06-09 01:11 PM
    you can have it poll at 5min or more intervals.
    11-06-09 01:19 PM
    Android does push gmail though correct?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-06-09 01:21 PM
    yeah, the gmail app and exchange are "supposed" to be push but it's slow to nonexistent for the 3 people I know that bought the droid.
    11-06-09 01:23 PM
    yeah, the gmail app and exchange are "supposed" to be push but it's slow to nonexistent for the 3 people I know that bought the droid.
    Sigh... I better wait before I pull the trigger on this. Thats the thing I love about B/B you have your e mail BAM! sometimes before they get to the mainframe even.
    Last edited by Bettermost; 11-06-09 at 01:28 PM.
    11-06-09 01:25 PM
    I have a gmail account and im receiving email's instantly same way it did with my previous storm 1 and 2, Whooo hooooooo!
    11-06-09 02:27 PM
    GMAIL is more or less instant (0-2 min - just timed mine). The Pop3 is set to poll at whatever interval you want. I think I have mine set at 15 or 30 min. Not sure.
    11-06-09 02:38 PM
    my gmail is almost instant.
    11-06-09 02:41 PM
    That's fine if you use gmail I use aol and don't want to wait hours to get my e mail

11-06-09 03:47 PM
    That's fine if you use gmail I use aol and don't want to wait hours to get my e mail

I set my live.com email up and it polls every 15 minutes and works like a charm
    11-06-09 03:53 PM
    Now that is what I wanted to hear.

11-06-09 03:56 PM
    Gmail has pushed pretty much instantly. I have my hotmail account set to pull every 5 minutes and it seems to be working well.
    11-06-09 04:05 PM
    Any way to get around paying for an upgraded yahoo account?
    11-06-09 04:11 PM
    I have my Hotmail synced to pull by Google. I've been watching the timestamps on my Gmail and its never even a minute different. I swear its faster than my damn curve LOL.
    11-06-09 04:11 PM
    Have your Yahoo or any other emails you have forwarded to a GMail account and you should get your email to be pushed from that Gmail account instantly. You just have to make a Gmail account. Good Luck!
    11-07-09 01:25 PM
    What about contacts and calendar? Do either the Droid or Storm 2 us push to up date those?

That is one thing that I really hate about RIM is that I have always had to either plug in to the USB cable or turn on bluetooth to get those to sync, and then it is syncing with my computer, not the server.
    11-10-09 10:22 AM
    Yes this is what really impressed me. Both my Gmail and Hotmail accounts push just like the Blackberry did!

With Gmail they just get pushed in there's no control over it but with Hotmail you can control how often it checks (every 5, 10, 15, 30 min. or 1 hour)

And yes, the Google Calendar is synced as well.
    11-10-09 10:33 AM
    Yes this is what really impressed me. Both my Gmail and Hotmail accounts push just like the Blackberry did!

With Gmail they just get pushed in there's no control over it but with Hotmail you can control how often it checks (every 5, 10, 15, 30 min. or 1 hour)

And yes, the Google Calendar is synced as well.
    For the record your hotmail is not pushed to your device, that is called polling where the device has to ask the server if there is any new mail. Push is where the server reaches out to the phone and tells the phone here is your mail, see you on the next trip.(battery life tends to last longer with push over polling) Your gmail is pushed but that is because it is google.
    11-10-09 10:59 AM
    Do not buy this phone if Exchange based email is your primary email account. Not unless you want to buy third party software.
    11-10-09 11:03 AM
    I have my 2 POP3 accounts setup inside my GMail account. This way I get my email to the phone within about a minute of it being sent. This works well for me.

I don't have yahoo, hotmail, aol, or any other kind of email, so I can't comment on those...
    11-10-09 11:27 AM
    I have my 2 POP3 accounts setup inside my GMail account. This way I get my email to the phone within about a minute of it being sent. This works well for me.

I don't have yahoo, hotmail, aol, or any other kind of email, so I can't comment on those...
    POP3 is Pulling, not Push. Check your time stamps, and you'll notice there's a lag. Alternatively, if you go into the Accounts tab in Settings, it will tell you when it last looked for mail. This can sometimes be up to an hour. I've seen 53, 57 minutes before. It's based on how often new mail arrives there.

However, IMAP is more push. Perhaps that's what you've got set up? Or you told your outside e-mail to forward the mail immediately? I know that's what I did with one - I told another Gmail account to forward to my device e-mail account, and it's there in seconds - I've timed it before.
    11-10-09 12:20 PM
    Do not buy this phone if Exchange based email is your primary email account. Not unless you want to buy third party software.
    Why would you say that, my exchange account is pushed through to the Droid with no problem, No third party software either.
    11-10-09 04:26 PM
    OK, I am using a exchange server email account (mail2web.com). That is supposed to sync as items arrive. So far it has not. I just got 2 emails an hour later... HELLO!

I also have a gmail account and have sent emails to my account:

test

test 2

test 3

I have refreshed for test and test 2.

test 3 has yet to arive on my phone. What have I missed or what have I done wrong?

I hear all this hype about how gmail is instant or within 2 minutes or so. here it is almost 10 minutes later and the "test 3" email has still yet to arive.

I think there is a problem here. I also will say I have no option in the setting for arrival time like I do in the exchange server.

I know I also read that there can be only one (1) exchange server on the phone.

Not a problem. I was under the impression that gmail was instant since the Android is a google base mail system.

Have I misunderstood something here, or am I extremely missing something?

Since I am using an exchange server, does that kill the option for the gmail to sync instantly?

I know if I refresh it it will come in. I want it to come instantly. OK, as I am typing this the "test 3" email came in. Should it not have been faster?

Any help is appreciated

Thanks,

msblueline
    12-16-09 08:53 PM
    Your friends are idiots. Gmail and exchange push is on par with my blackberries (curve/storm1/tour) and if anything, gmail is a little quicker.
    12-17-09 02:40 PM

are you kidding? you obviously have no clue what your talking about

i even did a side by side test with the same email accounts on both my storm 2 and on the DROID, the droid got the exchange email almost 20 seconds faster and a personal email (gmail) about 10 seconds faster then the storm 2.

i ran this test 5 times over 2 days to make sure it wasnt just some fluke and every time the droid got both emails faster then the allmighty email machine(blackberry)
    12-17-09 03:51 PM
40 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD