The Captivate may be my first Android phone/experience, and I of course would not want it to ruin it for me if it is not a good phone. Unfortunately, I'm with AT&T and I know they don't really have a great selection of Android phones at the moment. Any info/advice for me?
    11-04-10 11:47 AM
    You will love the Captivate, the screen is gorgeous, the customization you can do is great, and the speed is very nice. My sister who was a die hard Apple fan and Iphone user recently got the Captivate. When I asked her what does she like about Android versus Apple, she said; 'Everything' Especially being able to download and install what she wants and not have Apple blocking her from doing so...
    11-04-10 11:57 AM
    I'm glad to hear that... I used to use an iPhone, but definitely don't like the fact that you can't customize anything really. Since I really haven't done anything with Android, I was wondering about "sideloading" of apps on at&t? I heard they don't allow you to on their Android phones... I assume it can be done if you root the devices, right? Is that easy to do for the Captivate?
    11-04-10 12:10 PM
    I'm glad to hear that... I used to use an iPhone, but definitely don't like the fact that you can't customize anything really. Since I really haven't done anything with Android, I was wondering about "sideloading" of apps on at&t? I heard they don't allow you to on their Android phones... I assume it can be done if you root the devices, right? Is that easy to do for the Captivate?
    Yes, rooting the Captivate is not difficult. If you can reload the OS on a BlackBerry, you can root the Captivate...
    11-04-10 12:13 PM
    Sweet, I am not a stranger to loading new OS's on BB... I guess just read other forum posts on how to do it right? or are there programs out there like BBSAK for Android phones?
    11-04-10 01:25 PM
    yeah i got my captivate on launch day and it's a sweet phone.. once you root it u can load custom roms, emulators etc... oh yeh u even unlock the phone too...
    11-04-10 05:54 PM
    What I love about Android is that it runs like a desktop OS, which is how it's intended as Android runs on top of Linux. Once rooted the customizations you can do are amazing. The setup of the OS, is just flat out awesome in my opinion...
    11-04-10 06:41 PM
    I have heard that the battery life isn't all that great on the captivate... are there any apps that can help maximize it, or are there any extended life batteries out there?
    11-04-10 07:06 PM
    I have heard that the battery life isn't all that great on the captivate... are there any apps that can help maximize it, or are there any extended life batteries out there?
    Yes, there are apps and plenty of them. That device has a super AMOLED screen, and it's unreal. Turn it down a bit. Android novices need to be aware of how often all of their apps and widgets are updating, many are set to refresh every 10-15 minutes, that will kill a battery...
    11-04-10 07:14 PM
    i had a captivate up until around 3weeks ago. size is good, build quality is so-so, screen is very nice. battery life isnt all that great, i was getting at least 12-14 hours of usage a day. it does have some issues though, for me the main was the gps not working. nothing that i tried, and i mean nothing ever really helped it that much. that means no google maps, google nav, facebook places, foursquare, poynt, google searches with location, weather, any app that uses gps will basically be worthless. the phone also has some lag, and you can root and apply a lag fix, but then you have voided your warranty. i am now on verizon using a droid x, and am loving it. it has some minor issues that are associated with android 2.2, but a reboot fixes them, unlike the captivate where a reboot will not fix anything. if you are on att and want their best android, the captivate is it. if you want a good android phone in general, i dont think att has the offerings just yet. good luck
    11-07-10 12:27 PM
    Cons- It is made by Samsung, expect ****ty and slow update support (if Samsung continues their previous history).

Otherwise, it is a great powerful device.
    Last edited by avt123; 11-07-10 at 02:44 PM.
    11-07-10 02:42 PM
    If you are with AT&T, I would just get the iPhone 4. They don't have a great selection of Android devices. I think Android as a platform is better than IOS, but not the AT&T Android phones.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-07-10 02:58 PM
    If you are with AT&T, I would just get the iPhone 4. They don't have a great selection of Android devices. I think Android as a platform is better than IOS, but not the AT&T Android phones.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    The Captivate is awesome once rooted to get away from AT&Ts restrictions. Put a 2.2 ROM on it as well and it's a beast so I've heard.
    11-07-10 03:00 PM
    I would go for it. I came from the BB 9700 and I love my Captivate. Granted it's not perfect, no phone is....but it suits my needs just fine. Thankfully I haven't had the dreaded GPS lock issues..(knock on wood). My locks fine, everytime. I did have a problem with not being able to use my wifi at home, it was the strangest thing. Got a warranty exchange, and haven't had any problems since. I rooted the previous phone as well as the exchange, and installed lagfix. I haven't built up the courage to go beyond that, as far as installing custom Kernels and Roms...I'm just not confident in my knowledge to dive into that just yet. So i'm sure I'm missing out on a lot, but i love it nonetheless. It's really a fantastic device!
    Last edited by Iluvbb; 11-09-10 at 04:29 PM. Reason: Grammatical error
    11-08-10 09:56 AM
    The Captivate is a great device. GPS is spotty as it works really well for a few, moderately well for many, and poorly for most. If the GPS is mainly bad with tracking and Nav, but I have never heard of issues with weather and so forth so that is something new. The battery life is much better on leaked Froyo running a custom ROM. Just make sure if you ever get the phone and root/flash Rom's that you do so with a fully charged batter. Right now the dev support is heating up and the Vibrant is not so much the poster child. Even some Vibrant dev's have ported or are going to port over to the Captivate. My wife and I love our phones, and we don't have expectations like others because we were using Verizon BB on ATT so we were already limited with what we could do lol. I just like messing with it and if it does most things great and some things with errors I can live with it.
    11-08-10 07:40 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD