Hi There, I have downloaded Root Explorer and SUFBS since i am new and cant memorize commands. Neither of these apps are allowing me to copy to any of the system folders, specifically /system/app. heres whats im trying to do, and how im doing it. Im not sure if its user error or not.

First i Downloaded Youtube.Zip, and Renamed to Youtube.odex. (Trying to make HQ Default)

Then i opened SUFBS, Clicked on the S and D (mount system and data as read/write).

Next i went to my SD card, selected Copy on Youtube.odex, then naviagated back to system/app and hit paste. it shows the animation that its pasting, but the file is never Written. If i select Cut, the file disapears from the SD card, but never appears in app folder.

Both Programs are doing this, and i cant figure it out. Any Ideas?

Id like to be able to push files to the system without commands, am i wrong in thinking that i can accomplish that with either one of these apps?

If there is no solution to this, anyone wanna post the Commands i would use with the Terminal Emulator installed on the phone?
    12-30-09 07:59 PM
    I had same problem with root explorer, so just used my terminal to push my file.

This was for my bootanimation.zip but once I did push it to anywhere in the system, I was able to move it around, rename it, etc, through root explorer.
    12-30-09 08:28 PM
    Hi There, I have downloaded Root Explorer and SUFBS since i am new and cant memorize commands. Neither of these apps are allowing me to copy to any of the system folders, specifically /system/app. heres whats im trying to do, and how im doing it. Im not sure if its user error or not.

First i Downloaded Youtube.Zip, and Renamed to Youtube.odex. (Trying to make HQ Default)

Then i opened SUFBS, Clicked on the S and D (mount system and data as read/write).

Next i went to my SD card, selected Copy on Youtube.odex, then naviagated back to system/app and hit paste. it shows the animation that its pasting, but the file is never Written. If i select Cut, the file disapears from the SD card, but never appears in app folder.

Both Programs are doing this, and i cant figure it out. Any Ideas?

Id like to be able to push files to the system without commands, am i wrong in thinking that i can accomplish that with either one of these apps?

If there is no solution to this, anyone wanna post the Commands i would use with the Terminal Emulator installed on the phone?
    Does
    Code:
    cp /*path to file* /data/local
    give an error? It's possible you don't have busybox fully working.

In any case:
    Code:
    su
    mount -o remount /dev/mtdblock4 /system
    cp /sdcard/Youtube.odex /system/app/
    mount -o ro,remount /dev/mtdblock4 /system
    reboot
    will get Youtube.odex copied from your card to /system/app as long as busybox is functional.
    12-30-09 08:42 PM
    Yeah for the cp command i get

cp: not found

I installed busybox using droid Root Helper, it was part of the 2.1 install. Although i have reverted back to 2.0.1, and went into droidroothelper and installed busybox, but cp still not found

If i browse to /system/bin i do have a file for busy box at 1.66 MB

If i try mv command, i get

(Failed on '/sdcard/apps/youtube.odex' - Cross device Link)

This is FUN!!!
    Last edited by krazykid6911; 12-30-09 at 09:12 PM.
    12-30-09 08:53 PM
    try this

back up everything first of course.

Code:
    su
    mount -o remount /dev/mtdblock4 /system
    cd /system/bin
    busybox --install /system/xbin
    ls /system/xbin
    see if cp is listed (as a symlink) in /system/xbin. If so, try:

Code:
    cp /sdcard/Youtube.odex /system/app/
    mount -o ro,remount /dev/mtdblock4 /system
    reboot
    12-30-09 11:07 PM
    I got it copied with that command, but then i ended up with two youtube.odex files. So i used the rm command to remove both, then i just pushed the one i want. Unfortunately after a reboot, i cannot launch Youtube, says application not installed, and the install fails if i click the APK in the /system/app directory
    12-31-09 04:00 PM
    Thats an issue with the application.
    You're going to need to use the apk that created that odex file, or go back to the original.

Whoever built your hack needs to de-odex and use smali to create a classes.dex file in the apk itself.

point them here:
    DeodexInstructions - smali - Instructions on using baksmali and deodexerant to deodex an .odex file - Project Hosting on Google Code
    12-31-09 06:16 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD