Well, I was bored and found a pretty foolproof instruction on how to load a ROM. So, I did it. My SGS is now running Darky 9.2 Extreme Edition ROM. Gotta say, love it so far.

Yes yes, I know, I said I'd never root. But I figure with a time bomb for a phone anyway, why the **** not!
    02-13-11 02:15 PM
    Nice! Congrats!! I have a rooted incredible running incredibly re-engineered and I love it!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-13-11 04:46 PM
    Congrats. I popped mine about a month ago..and have been running Cyanogenmod 6.1.1..which I seem to enjoy. I flashed my first custom splash image and replaced the HTC logo on the boot up screen just yesterday..and it just adds that extra something to the phone.

Anytime I do something new..I feel so proud..but it's always a bit nerve wracking making the leap..seeing's how things can go wrong if your not careful lol.

One of these days i'll get around to flashing a new Radio..maybe lol.
    02-13-11 04:50 PM
    congrats and how are you liking it?
    02-13-11 04:54 PM
    Ah yes, I still remember my first time...

I was so nervous with anticipation, the fears of complete failure. When it was over, all I could think was, "is that it?" Then I was addicted, I wanted to do it again and again...
    howarmat likes this.
    02-13-11 04:56 PM
    Ah yes, I still remember my first time...

I was so nervous with anticipation, the fears of complete failure. When it was over, all I could think was, "is that it?" Then I was addicted, I wanted to do it again and again...
    ROM HARLET!
    Dirty Rommer!
    You shake hands with those Romming hands of yours?
    You.. you ROOTER!
    02-13-11 07:23 PM
    Once you root you'll never ever go back to stock. I rooted my device in March last year and have never looked back. I can't even imagine ever being stock again.

p.s remember to do always do a back up with anything you decide to do from here on.
    Last edited by JD914; 02-13-11 at 08:09 PM.
    02-13-11 07:44 PM
    Congrats!
    I love rooting!
    02-13-11 07:46 PM
    Well I was loving it until stupid me started fiddling with settings.

And deactivated my soft menu and back keys.

Thus rendering almost all apps useless.

Then had the scare of a lifetime reloading back to stock and it got into a boot loop.

It's fixed now. I got the softkeys working again. It may be a bit before I try again. Heh. My nerves need to recover.
    02-13-11 11:48 PM
    nandroid backups are a must!
    02-13-11 11:54 PM
    Scared the crap out of me. Now I am getting wierd force closes on things like setting a notification ringtone or the music player.

Huh.
    02-14-11 12:32 AM
    try a "fix permissions" from rom manager perhaps
    02-14-11 12:32 AM
    Didn't work.

However, since I became obsessed with getting it working again, I reflashed Darky and now the sounds are working again heh.

It's gonna be a looooooong day at work tomorrow on no sleep.
    02-14-11 01:33 AM
    nandroid backups are a must!
    This. That way if your in there effing around with stuff..it's easy to revert back to a "good" version.
    02-14-11 07:59 AM
    I am VERY new to Android, but very interested in learning more about rooting. Does anyone if there are any good "rooting instructional videos, perhaps on Youtube? Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks!
    02-14-11 04:06 PM
    Since you have the EVO I recommend trying unrEVOked to root your device...
    02-14-11 04:32 PM
    I am VERY new to Android, but very interested in learning more about rooting. Does anyone if there are any good "rooting instructional videos, perhaps on Youtube? Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks!
    My advice. And I am the biggest promoter of all things hackery. Is not to root you phone. Il explain more later. But rooting can enable you you severally screw up your phone. Take your time research it on your own and see if it is something you feel like you can do. What is easy to us might not be easy for you. Learn the ADB shell commands and what they do. Learn what boot image is, learn what a splash screen is, learn what a HBoot screen is. And countless other options are. Rooting turns your phone into a mini Linux Computer and flashing or entering the Wrong command will FUBAR your phone., and sometimes the only way to get it back is for ADB shell commands.

And this is coming from someone who has ran stock android for maybe 8 hours in 2 years.and I have rooted countless phones.

Kathy145 likes this.
    02-14-11 04:47 PM
    Thank you all for your advice!! I am going to start researching the items mentioned including unrEVOked. I was very into my BB and enjoyed hacking or coloring outside traditional lines. However, just like with BB I have to walk before I can run.

Thanks again! Feel free to keep the advice coming, the more the better!
    02-15-11 03:43 PM
    Thanks again! Feel free to keep the advice coming, the more the better!
    Your best bet for information is XDA..check em out.

HTC EVO Shift 4G - xda-developers
    Kathy145 likes this.
    02-15-11 05:07 PM
    I'll concur with SyB0rg's point(s). I have gone through constant trial, and error. Right now, I'm going to give it another week until I load a new nightly from the guys at Cyanogen Mod. My phone's battery life has been killer, using a Low Voltage Kernel, and using build #33. Most importantly, I reluctantly removed the use of my sd-ext partition. I think that's what has been causing things to get hotter than normal.
    02-15-11 06:41 PM
    Your best bet for information is XDA..check em out.

HTC EVO Shift 4G - xda-developers
    XDA is where i've been spending most of my time theses days. I will say this about those guys. They are EXTREMELY smart, EXTREMELY helpful, if you do what they suggest or point you to you shouldn't have a problem. And MAKE SURE TO USE THE SEARCH FEATURE FIRST.

They can quite intimidating, but that is because they frakking know what they are talking about. just don't get overwhelmed @ there is alot of good information there. BTW my user name is Neidlinger there.

Kathy145 likes this.
    02-15-11 07:01 PM
    Once you get the first one to work it's not scary at all. As long as you make a nandroid backup of your stock operating system, you really can't brick your phone. I love trying new roms, it's like you get a whole new phone and you can customize the device exactly how you want. XDA, cyanogen mod, and YouTube have great tutorials and support if you get stuck.

02-15-11 07:31 PM
    I have it all set up again...I am running:

Darky's v9.2 Extreme Edition
    Voodoo kernal 5.4.1
    JL2 modem
    R64 Theme Android Noir 5 Lockscreen edition
    Glass Dialer mod

I am now the envy of the SGS's at work heh.
    02-18-11 07:21 PM
    I have it all set up again...I am running:

Darky's v9.2 Extreme Edition
    Voodoo kernal 5.4.1
    JL2 modem
    R64 Theme Android Noir 5 Lockscreen edition
    Glass Dialer mod

I am now the envy of the SGS's at work heh.
    Congrats....been wanting to do this but since its my work phone, Im wondering if it is worth the risk and if the performance difference is significant enough.

02-18-11 07:45 PM
    Running team whiskeys bionix 1.2. Smooth as butter. Once you start messing with open source. You can never go back.

02-18-11 09:17 PM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD