You know, this speculated handset from HTC could well have helped HTC get back in black financially. But if the story is true and it does indeed forgo the card slot as well as limit the internal memory to just 16GB, HTC can't seem to learn from its mistakes. If HTC puts out this stellar handset without external memory slot, there is no hope for the company. They are bound for disaster based on either ignorance or pure stubbornness.

What the heck they see in in limiting memory capacity is beyond me. However, I said it before and reiterate it again - HTC seems to believe that the "cloud" is the solution for them. If HTC doesn't abandon this idea, they will continue to lose and eventually fold. People will just never opt for a system that depends on the "cloud" for all of their data. Especially when the alternatives are so completely sweet - like the S3. I would rather have a phone capable of 80GB than one limited to a measly 12GB of actual user storage.

I don't care how powerful the phone may be - it might be able to drive me around and do all of my household chores. if it doesn't have sufficient memory, I won't buy it.

'Insider' confirms HTC's phablet ... or does he?
    Last edited by Marty_LK; 09-16-12 at 04:57 PM.
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    09-16-12 04:54 PM
    You know, this speculated handset from HTC could well have helped HTC get back in black financially. But if the story is true and it does indeed forgo the card slot as well as limit the internal memory to just 16GB, HTC can't seem to learn from its mistakes. If HTC puts out this stellar handset without external memory slot, there is no hope for the company. They are bound for disaster based on either ignorance or pure stubbornness.

What the heck they see in in limiting memory capacity is beyond me. However, I said it before and reiterate it again - HTC seems to believe that the "cloud" is the solution for them. If HTC doesn't abandon this idea, they will continue to lose and eventually fold. People will just never opt for a system that depends on the "cloud" for all of their data. Especially when the alternatives are so completely sweet - like the S3. I would rather have a phone capable of 80GB than one limited to a measly 12GB of actual user storage.

I don't care how powerful the phone may be - it might be able to drive me around and do all of my household chores. if it doesn't have sufficient memory, I won't buy it.

'Insider' confirms HTC's phablet ... or does he?
    What phone are you talking about?
    09-16-12 06:59 PM
    What phone are you talking about?
    The One X. The Sensation XL also. It is without a card slot and limited to a miniscule amount of internal memory.
    09-16-12 08:35 PM
    The One X. The Sensation XL also. It is without a card slot and limited to a miniscule amount of internal memory.
    Hey Marty, that's old news. Try and keep up with the times.LOL
    09-16-12 09:25 PM
    i just came back to bb from the gnex. not having a removable sd card will not happen again in my future phones. long story short...it crashed and took my pics and vids with it. i just don't trust the "cloud" with my private pics.

sprint bold 9650 p.s. android sucks. lol
    Marty_LK likes this.
    09-16-12 09:36 PM
    i just came back to bb from the gnex. not having a removable sd card will not happen again in my future phones. long story short...it crashed and took my pics and vids with it. i just don't trust the "cloud" with my private pics.

You used the wrong android. Gnex sucks. My Vivid has removable sd card.

The last good Bold, was the 9000.
    09-16-12 09:48 PM
    Hey Marty, that's old news. Try and keep up with the times.LOL
    It isn't old news for the yet-to-be-released HTC superphone in the link of my OP.
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    09-16-12 11:29 PM

Same for my Sensation XL. It crashed and took all of my files and data with it to the grave. Though the crash was caused by me not leaving well-enough alone - I rooted it and just keep messing with it, I was distressed greatly by losing my files and data. I got it working fine not long after the crash - had to install a custom ROM because the stock ROM was toast. But it now has an official ICS ROM that makes it a sweet phone.
    09-16-12 11:36 PM
    Same for my Sensation XL. It crashed and took all of my files and data with it to the grave. Though the crash was caused by me not leaving well-enough alone - I rooted it and just keep messing with it, I was distressed greatly by losing my files and data. I got it working fine not long after the crash - had to install a custom ROM because the stock ROM was toast. But it now has an official ICS ROM that makes it a sweet phone.
    I have NEVER rooted an Android phone. My philosophy is simple. If it doesn't do what you want, out of the box, don't buy it. Yes, i'm anti-root. If you screw it up, then you get what you deserve. End of story.
    Marty_LK likes this.
    09-17-12 09:12 AM
    I have NEVER rooted an Android phone. My philosophy is simple. If it doesn't do what you want, out of the box, don't buy it. Yes, i'm anti-root. If you screw it up, then you get what you deserve. End of story.
    I agree. I have had a lot of issues with rooting. My biggest issue is never settling on any specific ROM. I get a really good ROM that works perfectly and tell myself I will keep this one. A few days later something new comes along and I just have to try it out.

I will never root my S3 because of this. I need to keep at least one phone undittled with because I need the assurance of a fully working, fully functioning device. My rooted devices aren't as secure as the unrooted ones because I'm always messing with them.

I fully understand the iPhone close-system policy. Apple knows that if a system is allowed to be customized to the point of altering the ROM, there would be no reliable iPhone environment. People all the time would be having issues with their iPhones.
    09-17-12 10:13 AM
    I agree. I have had a lot of issues with rooting. My biggest issue is never settling on any specific ROM. I get a really good ROM that works perfectly and tell myself I will keep this one. A few days later something new comes along and I just have to try it out.

I will never root my S3 because of this. I need to keep at least one phone undittled with because I need the assurance of a fully working, fully functioning device. My rooted devices aren't as secure as the unrooted ones because I'm always messing with them.

I fully understand the iPhone close-system policy. Apple knows that if a system is allowed to be customized to the point of altering the ROM, there would be no reliable iPhone environment. People all the time would be having issues with their iPhones.
    Exactly. My Vivid contract is up in Jan.2013, and i want the SGS3. Now i hear that the SGS4 may be introduced at the MWC in Feb.2013. I may just wait. BTW, is it true that the incoming texts, emails, and calls(on the SGS3), will only make the LED light blink when the screen is off? Don't know if i like that or not.
    09-17-12 10:32 AM
    Exactly. My Vivid contract is up in Jan.2013, and i want the SGS3. Now i hear that the SGS4 may be introduced at the MWC in Feb.2013. I may just wait. BTW, is it true that the incoming texts, emails, and calls(on the SGS3), will only make the LED light blink when the screen is off? Don't know if i like that or not.
    Yeah, I've just recently read about the next Galaxy iteration. It will be a magnificent phone because Samsung is trying hard to dominate the market. No doubt it will have the new quad-core, LTE-compatible Snapdragon CPU. Each core is controlled. That means when there is no need for more than one core powered up, 3 of the cores will power down to an idle state.

I may just wait till the S4 is released before upgrading my second line. I'm eligible for a secondary upgrade in Oct and planned to look at an Ion or other phone. However, I may well patiently wait till the S4 is released.

As for the LED matter, I haven't ever payed enough attention to it to see. I do know the LED is on when the screen is off while charging and goes off when the screen is on. Things like that don't matter too much to me.
    09-17-12 10:47 AM
    Wait... there are Android users that don't root? No way!

Seriously, though, rooting is a big reason I stick with Android. Even though the percentage of people who root is tiny, I still think HTC's recent efforts to make it harder (locked bootloaders and such) factors into its recent struggles.
    Marty_LK likes this.
    09-17-12 11:09 AM
    Wait... there are Android users that don't root? No way!

Seriously, though, rooting is a big reason I stick with Android. Even though the percentage of people who root is tiny, I still think HTC's recent efforts to make it harder (locked bootloaders and such) factors into its recent struggles.
    I came to the Android platform, from the iPhone4. There wasn't enough "out of the box" customizations for me, and i didn't want to jailbreak. Android fulfills my needs for a decent phone with excellent tweaks.

P.S. I left BB for the iPhone4, for that very reason. Not enough tweaks, and too many "battery pulls".
    09-17-12 12:15 PM
    May I ask why? That seems kind of redundant. Did HTC devices still blink if an incoming notification came in while the screen was on? I guess I never even noticed that and I used HTC devices for about a year and a half! I guess it's not something I miss on my SGS3. The notification bar works just fine.
    09-17-12 01:34 PM
    May I ask why? That seems kind of redundant. Did HTC devices still blink if an incoming notification came in while the screen was on? I guess I never even noticed that and I used HTC devices for about a year and a half! I guess it's not something I miss on my SGS3. The notification bar works just fine.
    The LED on my Vivid will blink when a text, email, or call comes in, even if the screen is on. It's not a deal breaker though, as i guess you could set the screen on the SGS3 to shut off very quickly, thereby seeing the blinking LED. I also have the notifications on the Vivid's status bar. For me, the SGS3 is just the natural progression of excellent Android phones. I would swap my Vivid for one, in a N.Y. minute.
    09-17-12 01:56 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD