Wall Street Journal today... Marketplace section, page b5.

The $799 price applies only if the device is bought outright off contract, as some suspected. However, a customer figuring he or she will have the device and service at least two years can sign a contract and get the device for $599. This is the 3g/4g version, not the wifi only model.

Free uograde to 4g is reaffirmed. It will be available Thursday (tomorrow) according to the article.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-23-11 11:10 AM
    Do the math and the price is still high, and you're tied to one carrier for 2 years. Especially with only 1gig a month starting at $20 per?

It's not that great of a subsidy to be shackled to a 2 year contract.
    02-23-11 11:13 AM
    Do the math and the price is still high, and you're tied to one carrier for 2 years. Especially with only 1gig a month starting at $20 per?

It's not that great of a subsidy to be shackled to a 2 year contract.
    Agreed. I still really think we're getting a better deal with the PB (assuming we are looking at the $499/599/699 pricing scale)
    02-23-11 11:34 AM
    Shouldn't this be on the Android forums?
    02-23-11 11:38 AM
    if people are going to by the xoom and actually use the data then its worth it. You should be able to secure for 2 years the $20 data for 3g/LTE which is a low cost for LTE data, even at 1 GB. For those looking to buy and then use as WIFI then its no benefit obviously. with my corp discount even if i signed the contract the data would only be $15 a month for me.
    02-23-11 11:40 AM
    It is meant to be taken into account when discussing and considering playbook's unaffirmed prices.

Do the math and the price is still high, and you're tied to one carrier for 2 years.
    Yea but I figure that 3G/4g service is going to all require a contract on tablets. Maybe not but I would bet...
    Last edited by kb5zht; 02-23-11 at 12:25 PM.
    02-23-11 12:03 PM
    Not sure why that would "change the picture". It was widely understood that 800$ was without contact and, obviously, less with a contract.

Also, 3G/4G/LTE-enabled tablets will be non-factors at least for the short term. The sales of the iPad 3G compared to that of the Wifi-only version is a testament of that.
    Last edited by Intosh; 02-23-11 at 01:05 PM.
    02-23-11 12:17 PM
    I don't expect new tech to be flawless at the onset, but Flash is coming, SD card support is coming, 4G update is coming, and you have to have at least a month of data? Too much imo. Plus, 10" is not what I looking for. I'm sure it's a great tab for some, but I'm out on this one.

02-23-11 12:25 PM
    Not sure why that would "change the picture". It was widely understood that 800$ was without contact and, obviously, less with a contract.

Also, 3G/4G/LTE-enabled tablets will be none factors at least for the short term. The sales of the iPad 3G compared to that of the Wifi-only version is a testament of that.
    Basically because that is significantly cheaper, but more than that, it places it at the same price (we assume) the equivalent wifi only playbook will cost. And don't forget, $800 before all the extra costs... $900 was what we are looking at.

02-23-11 12:29 PM
    Google- No
    10"- No
    Contract- No

Picture doesn't change and comparing a WiFi only model with a model that has the contract included is not a comparison worth making.

Even if the playbook with WiFi was the exact same price as this Xoom they would still NOT be the same price.
    02-23-11 01:41 PM
    By the time you factor in a 2-yr data plan, this thing will still cost you over a grand. Wifi-only playbook for me...
    02-23-11 01:58 PM
    Yes it should! And now it is!
    02-23-11 02:11 PM
    Basically because that is significantly cheaper, but more than that, it places it at the same price (we assume) the equivalent wifi only playbook will cost. And don't forget, $800 before all the extra costs... $900 was what we are looking at.

So it places it at the same price as the wifi playbook but with an additional $480 before taxes in payments to Verizon for 1 GB of whateverG data and locks you into a 2 year agreement...Is that what you are saying? I'm still seeing this as overpriced but regardless the folks that want it will buy it and most likely will be happy with it.
    02-23-11 02:18 PM
    So it places it at the same price as the wifi playbook but with an additional $480 before taxes in payments to Verizon for 1 GB of whateverG data and locks you into a 2 year agreement...Is that what you are saying? I'm still seeing this as overpriced but regardless the folks that want it will buy it and most likely will be happy with it.
    Don't forget that the playbook will have additional charges for the radio version too.
    Seems most of you guys are forgetting that data for the playbook will not be free either.

02-23-11 02:24 PM
    I just came across an article about the Xoom in the business section of a local newspaper. The headline says something along the lines: "Motorola introduces a tablet more expensive than the iPad".

This is the kinda of bad press RIM should make sure to avoid. Waiting for the iPad 2's price to be known before officially announcing the price of your own Playbook is a good move.
    02-23-11 02:24 PM
    Don't forget that the playbook will have additional charges for the radio version too.
    Seems most of you guys are forgetting that data for the playbook will not be free either.

Okay, so you would want to compare the wifi only playbook to the xoom at 32 gbs that will most likely be 599 vs 799 right? Are you assuming the radio playbook won't be subsidized as well?
    02-23-11 02:40 PM
    I just came across an article about the Xoom in the business section of a local newspaper. The headline says something along the lines: "Motorola introduces a tablet more expensive than the iPad".

This is the kinda of bad press RIM should make sure to avoid. Waiting for the iPad 2's price to be known before officially announcing the price of your own Playbook is a good move.
    RIM is poised to really sweep up if they are smart and undercut the price of this thing bigtime. The flash alone upon release will earn it marks. I am not so sure they will undercut the ipad2- that thing is almost a carbon copy of ipad1 with a front facing camera.

I am bagging the playbook regardless, I'm just hoping that I don't have to fork over too many greenbacks to get it.

02-23-11 02:57 PM
    How is $600 + $2000 any more likely to compete with the playbook than $800 + $50? Playbook's still cheaper.

02-23-11 03:33 PM
    If I do get it I will be selling my G Tab for 200.00 and buying the xoom outright.........
    02-23-11 03:34 PM
    I don't care about flash but can't be the OS that claims to do everything and not have it, can't use the SD card, price is bloated and you have to send it back to get 4G. Ummmm No.
    02-23-11 06:59 PM
    Just give me the Playbook. By the way, you'll probably be able to get the PB FREE on a $15/mth 24-month contract given how little the US carriers push the BlackBerry. Here in the UK, I'm expecting �750 for the base 3G PB with a �30/mth 24-month contract.
    02-23-11 07:09 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD