Hi,

So I've been an avid android user since before the Motorola Droid 1. I currently use a HTC Thunderbolt and have used HTC phones since I dumped my droid 1 back in the day.

As other users may know I have always had to delete my text messages after about 2000 or so get into my inbox (which isn't much, I text a lot). Otherwise my phone gets incredibly laggy and buggy. I figured it was a memory issue so I moved all my pictures and videos to my SD card, wiped, and still got about the same performance.

I just kinda dealt with this throughout the years but recently my friend has his iphone 3GS and showed me how he has every single text we've exchanged since 2008 (a lot!) and his phone isn't laggy at all.

I do not see how this can not be done with my "smartphone." Why does his phone allow for such storage with no issues but mine seriously lags? I would love to have longer history of texts and I'm considering switching to iPhone 5 when it launches and dumping my thunderbolt.
    09-28-11 05:46 PM
    To answer the question about why the iphone doesn't lag with so many text messages in storage? My guess is the partition parameters set within the iphone dedicated to storing such items. I know Android has a hard set limit (there's been discussion within XDA) on certain folders (capped storage sizes). The fact the iPhone doesn't have an external SD card slot DOES help in the sense there isn't this limitation, like in Android phones. I know for my incredible, 768MB is for app storage, while the advertised 8GB (really 6.5GB) of space is for things like pictures, videos, and music; which is then housed in a separate storage area (emmc card). So I think it comes down to how much storage is set within Android itself for things like text messages.

Like I said in another thread, Apple was arrogantly smart about not including removable storage (think wait states, latency, etc.)
    09-28-11 06:57 PM
    To answer the question about why the iphone doesn't lag with so many text messages in storage? My guess is the partition parameters set within the iphone dedicated to storing such items. I know Android has a hard set limit (there's been discussion within XDA) on certain folders (capped storage sizes). The fact the iPhone doesn't have an external SD card slot DOES help in the sense there isn't this limitation, like in Android phones. I know for my incredible, 768MB is for app storage, while the advertised 8GB (really 6.5GB) of space is for things like pictures, videos, and music; which is then housed in a separate storage area (emmc card). So I think it comes down to how much storage is set within Android itself for things like text messages.

Like I said in another thread, Apple was arrogantly smart about not including removable storage (think wait states, latency, etc.)
    I figured it had to do with allocated space for text messages. Is there a way to root and change how much allocated space text messages get?
    09-28-11 07:00 PM
    I figured it had to do with allocated space for text messages. Is there a way to root and change how much allocated space text messages get?
    Like I said, there's ongoing discussion about that in XDA. I don't have the link on me, at the moment

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk
    09-28-11 08:00 PM
    Just went over there and looked for it, couldn't find it. If you could post the link I would definitely appreciate it when you get a chance!
    09-28-11 11:12 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD