Well if there wasn't anymore bad news for RIM to read in the papers here goes another uppercut. And something Government employees tired of the BB Platform can cheer about.

Pentagon approves Android device for Department of Defense, Apple still awaits clearance
    12-29-11 11:58 AM
    So approved for use, but they can't use them for anything useful if I read correctly the bit I've highlighted in bold?

Research in Motion’s BlackBerry OS has been the platform of choice for the Department of Defense for many years thanks to RIM’s robust security. However, with the rise of Google’s Android and Apple’s iOS operating systems, the DoD may be moving away from BlackBerry devices. In a recent Security Technical Implementation Guide, the DoD approved the use of Android-powered devices by its staff, but the Dell Venue is currently the only phone that qualifies. The DoD states that a device must be running Android 2.2 and have the Android Market stripped from its core in order to be used by staff. Moreover, all web browsing must be done through a DoD proxy server and classified information cannot be sent, received or accessed by Android handsets. Apple’s iPhones and iPads are also being tested by the Defense Information Systems Agency, however due to Apple’s tightly controlled ecosystem, the devices have not yet been approved. Installing DoD third-party security software was more difficult on iOS than Android’s open-source framework. Additionally, government officials said they were uncomfortable with Apple’s ability to track its users’ locations.
    There is more here:- Network/Perimeter/Wireless - Wireless (Smartphones)
    12-29-11 12:11 PM
    Score one for Android. This seems to be in line with the RATS device they are still playing with:

Raytheon Sends Android To Battlefield - Forbes.com

I know the article is old but nonetheless interesting.
    12-29-11 02:48 PM
    This is great news. Good to see Android advancing other than the the consumer market. I'd also like to see iOS do the same.
    12-29-11 10:07 PM
    This is great news. Good to see Android advancing other than the the consumer market. I'd also like to see iOS do the same.
    .....great news for who, now the US government employees will walk around playing "angry birds" while security issues are open for the world to see. My 13 year old cousin says android security is a joke.....things that make you go hummmmmm
    12-29-11 10:25 PM
    .....great news for who, now the US government employees will walk around playing "angry birds" while security issues are open for the world to see. My 13 year old cousin says android security is a joke.....things that make you go hummmmmm
    Gently explain to your 13 yr-old cousin that had he/she actually read the release, he/she would have nothing to fear from national security-eroding Angry Birds, as the devices are extremely limited and sandboxed to the nth degree.

Also, point out that the devices picked from Dell are smaller than tablets, so it would be tough to to see national secrets over the shoulders of the user, particularly with birds chirping incessantly.

12-29-11 10:33 PM
    Yea these devices will be locked down.

?
    12-31-11 06:15 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD