Ok, I know about Touchdown and the native exchange sync that's built into the different versions of Android but I haven't been able to find anything about whether or not Android can sync if your exchange server is only setup for OWA. For example, I know that my exchange server (2003 sp?) will not allow you to setup an activesync connection. IT has turned this off. However, the bb will let me sync (email only) via the owa website. Does android have similar functionality?
    06-03-10 09:07 AM
    It should if the OWA is setup with POP or IMAP access. Find out from IT if they have that enabled.
    06-03-10 09:32 AM
    It should if the OWA is setup with POP or IMAP access. Find out from IT if they have that enabled.
    Everything is shutdown other than OWA and the BES. Because I'm already syncing with another BES server I have this account setup to sync via BIS and OWA. Since the BIS server essentially logs into OWA like a normal user it works ok. I just just wondering if Android could connect in this way also.
    06-03-10 09:35 AM
    But BIS would need the POP server in order for it to work, no?

If it works in BIS, than it should work in Android's native mail client, or even in K9 if I am not mistaken.
    06-03-10 09:53 AM
    Nope, BIS has an option where it can access the Exchange server via the OWA interface. The POP and IMAP ports are definitely not open on our server.
    06-03-10 10:03 AM
    06-03-10 10:07 AM
    having owa acess doesn't really mean you can use exchange activesync to get email on your android phone. your exchange admin or IT folks need to make sure activesync is enabled on your exchange server for activesync to work.
    06-03-10 10:13 AM
    having owa acess doesn't really mean you can use exchange activesync to get email on your android phone. your exchange admin or IT folks need to make sure activesync is enabled on your exchange server for activesync to work.

Active Sync isn't enabled on his Exchange Server because they have a BES, I'm assuming. The app that I linked to is an email client specifically for OWA users.
    06-03-10 10:16 AM
    Yep, and since I know activesync is disabled that's why I was asking the question.

DarkPhoenix thanks for the info on exchangeit. I had run across that but it seems it's not very reliable so I was hoping there was another way around it. Sounds like there isn't.
    06-03-10 10:17 AM
    ^oh..ok. would be worth a shot to ask them to enable it though?

Active Sync isn't enabled on his Exchange Server because they have a BES, I'm assuming. The app that I linked to is an email client specifically for OWA users.
    you can have both. and activesync is free so it wouldn't hurt...
    06-03-10 10:52 AM
    Yep, and since I know activesync is disabled that's why I was asking the question.

DarkPhoenix thanks for the info on exchangeit. I had run across that but it seems it's not very reliable so I was hoping there was another way around it. Sounds like there isn't.

Not a problem. I still really haven't found a good solution for ActiveSync that works properly with my phone, aside from the native app. My phone came with Moxier but that app killed my battery in a matter of hours and still didn't push properly. Touchdown was nice, but again didn't properly push. I had to manually update it. The native app works okay, but it isn't full featured and I can't do half the things my 9700 can do.

Good luck on your quest and welcome to the Dark Side! We have Flash! :-)

^oh..ok. would be worth a shot to ask them to enable it though?

you can have both. and activesync is free so it wouldn't hurt...

I know you can have both. I have both running on my Exchange server. The IT Dept at mac's may have disabled it because they are a BB exclusive shop. We are not. We use iPhones, WinMo, BB and Android. Keeping ActiveSync enabled does open some security loopholes that most admins don't want to deal with.
    Last edited by DarkPhoenix; 06-03-10 at 10:55 AM.
    06-03-10 10:52 AM
    Walk into the Verizon store. My rep let me try ActiveSync on the Droids that were in the store. It worked, I bought it.

It doesn't sync the tasks and the Global address list, but my ERIS gets my email, calendar & personal contacts. I can accept/decline appointments via my Eris.

I wish I could have my tasks, but I live without them.
    06-03-10 09:33 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD