So I am considering switching from my Blackberry Curve 8330 to an Android (possible the Samsung Galaxy SII). I really enjoy BBM on my phone but with more and more sites updating and adding new graphics and other things, I am seeing more spinning hour glasses and java.lang.OutOfMemory messages. I could go with a new Blackberry, but what does that get me? A better browser but pretty much more the same, but with Android I get a more open platform (I like to tinker), flash and more apps/games!

However, I heavily use Outlook 2007 for my contacts and setting appointments/calender entries. With my BlackBerry, Desktop Manager syncs all my contact and appointments from my phone to Outlook and Outlook to my phone. I've heard Android doesn't do it aswell, which kid of bothers me. Is this true? If not, what is the best app (hopefully free) that will do two way syncs? I'm hoping to not have to open a gmail account to do this.
    03-02-11 12:47 PM
    I'm not an Android user but I've been working with my wife on her Android.

What we found is you will have to use an app to sync your Android to Outlook via gmail. You will need to create a gmail account whether you want to or not. It's required when activating an Android phone. I have not used it but I know there is an app called companion link that looks like it will sort of do what you want. Hopefully an Android user will pop in to give more information.

Sync Android with Outlook - Sync contacts and calendar -- CompanionLink Software
    03-02-11 04:01 PM
    Doesnt' the app Touchdown also sync Outlook without the need for a Gmail account? I could be wrong about this however..
    03-02-11 05:44 PM
    Touchdown has Exchange support, so if you are on an Exchange server, it syncs with Outlook.
    03-03-11 09:40 AM
    Valorian is correct - CompanionLink will do what you are looking for. Using CompanionLink for Outlook on your PC in conjunction with DejaOffice on the Android, you'll be able to sync contacts, calendars, tasks, notes, & categories to and from Outlook. DejaOffice is free, CompanionLink for Outlook sells for $40, and it comes with a 14-day free trial so you can ensure that it works for your setup.

On another note, you'll be happy to hear that according to Boy Genius Reports (a respected mobile blog) it's all but official that RIM is bringing BBM to Android. That should help make the transition easier! Speaking of which, you'll want to check out our "BlackBerry to Android" migration guide. It should help make your decision and potential transition much easier. You can find it at: Switching from BlackBerry to Android - A Migration Guide

If you have any questions about CompanionLink, just ask!

David Z
    03-03-11 02:01 PM
    Thanks for the replys. I'll definately look into the apps that was mentioned in this thread as I've been spoiled by Blackberry Desktop Manager easily syncing my calendar and appointments when I connected it via USB but I am definately getting tired of the spinning hourglass and lack of good games.
    03-07-11 04:41 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD