Well, marketshare is down 50%, revenue is down 48%, and profits down 79% year-over-year. It appears only Samsung is making money in Android smartphones:

HTC Profit Falls 79% Amid Competition - WSJ.com
    10-08-12 03:07 PM
    And Samsung is equipping their Android phones with a memory card slot. Hmmm...must be a correlation there somewhere between the use of ample memory capacity and restricted memory capacity, as in HTC's stuff, which doesn't have memory card slots and have had a measly 16GB internal user storage (12.05GB actual) on the flagship phone.

This doesn't surprise me at all. Samsung gives the consumer what they want and HTC doesn't.
    timberdc and AbuYazeedUK like this.
    10-08-12 03:48 PM
    Yes, storage capacity is the main reason people choose one phone over the other. Great correlation you have thought up.

It really comes down to marketing and distribution - two things Samsung is really good at. HTC doesn't have the clout nor the cash to compete with Samsung on those fronts which sucks.
    VIDGMER likes this.
    10-09-12 12:07 AM
    HTC has been barely releasing anything lately. On top of that their releases tend to be carrier exclusive... Even if I wanted a One X on <insert carrier here> (which a lot of people did) they can't buy it...

I wanted a One X more than a SGS3 and I can't. Big surprise HTC is bombing...
    10-09-12 01:47 PM
    Yes, storage capacity is the main reason people choose one phone over the other. Great correlation you have thought up.

It really comes down to marketing and distribution - two things Samsung is really good at. HTC doesn't have the clout nor the cash to compete with Samsung on those fronts which sucks.
    Why would they cripple themselves if what you say is happening? I would think a company would make its products as attractive as possible if they find it more difficult to compete. Eliminating memory card slots isn't making their products more attractive, it makes them less attractive.

Even if meager memory isn't one of the causes of HTC's decline, making their products less universally attractive isn't the way to do things.
    VIDGMER likes this.
    10-09-12 04:55 PM
    The sdcard slot is an issue, but i really doubt it's the larger issue. Their flagship devices are not available on most carriers. So how are they going to sell?
    Marty_LK likes this.
    10-09-12 05:18 PM
    The sdcard slot is an issue, but i really doubt it's the larger issue. Their flagship devices are not available on most carriers. So how are they going to sell?
    As far as the US goes, the One X is actually available on Sprint as the Evo 4G LTE and on Verizon in a smaller size known as the Rezound. T-Mobile has the One S of course. The Rezound, though, is probably a rebadge of the One S since both phones have the same display size.
    10-09-12 05:37 PM
    Yeah the one s has several differences compared to the one x though, and HTC is repeating this mistake with the one x+...

The rezound loses on the S4 processor also...
    10-09-12 05:45 PM
    The Rezound is nearly a year old. It's comparable to a device like the Amaze, not the One X/S and Evo LTE.
    10-14-12 09:44 AM
    I think Samsung is just coming out with (and advertising) newer better phones. Phones sort of go in waves, which last about a year. It's Samsung's year here. 2010 was an HTC year (Incredible, great phone). It's always an Apple year though.
    Marty_LK likes this.
    10-17-12 02:35 PM