It's hard to sort out the claims, so lets use this reference point, Engadget's review of Opera Mini 5 on the Droid in compare with the stock browser, on WiFi:

Opera Mini 5 on Android mini review -- Engadget

Timing the Engadget site, the stock browser takes 43 seconds to finish. And by finish I mean the progress bar is finished, at which point the user can scroll freely and read the entire page.

In comparison, Opera Mini took 15 seconds, with the full content available for scrolling in 7 seconds (NYTimes fully loaded in 7 seconds!). Clearly, if you want to read quickly, Opera Mini is the answer.

So do I understand that you guys are seeing very different results?
    03-11-10 09:43 PM
    Did you read ERs post? He stated it perfectly, Opra compresses the web by 90% before it is viewable on your phone. Why settle for a compressed web experience on the Droid, when it runs the desktop flavor fine? I installed Oprah and it wasn't blowing the Droid browser away quick enough for me to except opras truncated web pages. Uninstalled, and are quite happy having a full web browsing experience that is fresh out the box. No doubt Oprah loads a blink sooner, but the end product has been reduced, so that is why I am passing on the mini browser.

If truncation doesn't bother you, have at it!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Um, data compression does not mean loading mobile sites. I don't think you really understand what is going on with Opera or any other browser that works in this same manner. Bolt browser works in the same way and it usually loads full desktop style pages. RIM's new browser is also rumored to use server offloading and compression. That does not mean every site will be mobile view at all.

I don't have an Android phone, but I just tested Opera on my Bold and Safari on my iTouch. NYtimes.com. It took Safari 23 seconds longer to complete the page. AndroidCentral.com, Safari took 15 seconds longer. Foxnews, Safari loaded mobile site and Opera loaded desktop version. Opera loaded the full desktop version for each site. Tested over Wifi.

It has nothing to do with "horrible hardware".
    Last edited by Blacklac; 03-11-10 at 10:16 PM.
    03-11-10 10:06 PM
    You BB guys can keep the mini browser, and be happy with it, just stop with the sale of it, some of us actually don't like it in comparison to what we have because compression sucks bud
    Blacklac....are you serious? What are you talking about mobile sites? If you understood data compression, you would have not bothered me with what I have said about it. Just go surf you tube with the mini browser and look at how crappy the mini browser is under compression on a droid. Data compression means...well here is a wiki for you guy
    Data compression - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    It is alright though, I wont heckle you for the choice you decide to make in browsers
    I still prefer my native browser despite what you say about mini, lol.
    Last edited by johnly; 03-11-10 at 10:36 PM.
    03-11-10 10:27 PM
    I dont know about the rest of you Android fans, but I'm so excited about Opera Mini finally making its way to the Android Market, Read More Here

Anybody else happy about this?
    posting from it now. I was a big fan when I had suckberry, not so much now. but I bet it rocks when out of beta.

03-11-10 10:39 PM
    On with my G1 on WiFi (I kinda missed that phone):

Again, keeping the Engadget reference point, I timed the full Engadget site on the G1 at 20 seconds on Opera Mini, with full text and layout ready to scroll at 7 seconds! That means that for quick browsing, 7 seconds to start reading is unbeatable. And this is on the old and slow G1.

Unfortunately, I'm unable to access the full site on the G1 due to some redirect problem.

Sure Opera is still in beta and you could argue that webKit is more polished but it would be silly not to use Opera for daily browsing. Yes, maybe for your bank or browsing Flickr you'd prefer webKit, but for reading blogs, new and forums, which is what I do 90% of my browsing, Opera is a no brainer.
    03-11-10 10:48 PM
    @johnly

Heh, got to love that. You can't clearly explain what you meant, someone misunderstands what your trying to say and you get rude. Thanks for your knowledge with that wikipedia article. I would have never known what data compression is.

There is a difference between stating your opinion and being a d o u c h e, you seem to be clinging to the latter.
    Last edited by Blacklac; 03-11-10 at 11:02 PM.
    03-11-10 10:59 PM
    @johnly

Heh, got to love that. You can't clearly explain what you meant, someone misunderstands what your trying to say and you get rude. Thanks for your knowledge with that wikipedia article. I would have never known what data compression is.

There is a difference between stating your opinion and being a d o u c h e, you seem to be clinging to the latter.
    Awe, dude even wiki is debatable
    03-12-10 11:31 PM
    I like the stock browser. I downloaded the opera browser and I found it to be fast, but I like the native browser better.

03-15-10 08:25 PM
    It's great when dealing with EDGE. I don't like putting any information into it so I still use stock. You can turn off socket and just use HTTP but I still don't and use the stock browser for logging into places and stuff.
    03-16-10 05:47 AM
    Opera.....LOL try xScope kicks opera and dolphin in the n***

Last edited by spaciorek; 03-16-10 at 01:40 PM.
    03-16-10 06:58 AM
    Might have to try that, never heard of it until recently.

On another note Opera 5 is out of beta.
    03-16-10 12:51 PM
    I have a Droid and yes its fast. but operamini 5.0 is just sick fast. most of time I prefer stock cause when it comes to page rendering ,there is no comparison. hands down ,stock wins easily. But if you want to browse forums or quick reads, operamini rules. just wish you could make native browser when you get email links. Would be perfect companion to stock browser ...

03-23-10 05:56 AM
37 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD