Well I've been playing with my friends HTC G2 for a while to see if I'd be overall comfortable with moving over to android as my daily driver so to speak. Android is impressive in terms of customization and apps but today i discovered something that has totally turned me off as a blackberry user. The painfully difficult task of copy and pasting text from an email. I almost throw the damn phone to the ground and beat it to a dozen pieces. Is this intentional? I can't believe this is an over sight on Google's part.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-09-11 11:28 AM
    You might get a better response to your thread if you picked an appropriate thread title. Not sure omg!!! really tells people what the thread is about.
    04-09-11 11:34 AM
    Omg tells of my utter frustration and disappointment in such an awesome platform to ha e this oversight. Totally a deal breaker.

04-09-11 11:36 AM
    Trouble w/ copy & paste from an email? Are you using the gmail app? If so, yes that sucks but I think they're addressing it w/ the Gingerbread update. Copy & paste from the other email app is just like copy & paste throughout the rest of the system - long press, select text, tap copy, go to the desired spot, long press & paste.
    04-09-11 11:54 AM
    Also, an easy work-around would be to log into your email account using your phone's browser, & copying from there.
    04-09-11 12:10 PM
    some email clients have better copy and paste than others. its the problem with the various manufactures.
    04-09-11 12:39 PM
    I never copy and pasted from the gmail app before but I just tried it and I see why you're frustrated. But if you like the overall experience of the os don't let this stop you from switching over.

04-09-11 02:04 PM
    that's a minor issue that can be resolved Not a deal breaker for me
    04-09-11 04:36 PM
    Yeah, from the actual gmail app it is a bit of a pain, but everywhere else it is MASSIVELY better and easier than on the BB.

04-09-11 04:49 PM
    I rarely copy and paste items. As long as the function is there I am happy.

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Tapatalk
    04-09-11 05:53 PM
    "OMG" also makes you sound like a little teenage girl...
    04-09-11 08:42 PM
    "OMG"I'm blk!!!

04-09-11 10:50 PM
    One of the nice things about Android is that you can use different apps to replace native ones. K-9 and MailDroid both work with Gmail, so you could try different apps and see which one does what you want.
    04-10-11 09:21 AM
    Well I've been playing with my friends HTC G2 for a while to see if I'd be overall comfortable with moving over to android as my daily driver so to speak. Android is impressive in terms of customization and apps but today i discovered something that has totally turned me off as a blackberry user. The painfully difficult task of copy and pasting text from an email. I almost throw the damn phone to the ground and beat it to a dozen pieces. Is this intentional? I can't believe this is an over sight on Google's part.

With outbursts like that, I believe being able to copy and paste is the least of your worries.
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    04-10-11 11:57 AM
    I had the G2 when I was on T-Mobile and absolutely NO issues with copy/paste in any application or message. I'm not quite sure what you're talking about.
    04-10-11 02:45 PM
    I had the G2 when I was on T-Mobile and absolutely NO issues with copy/paste in any application or message. I'm not quite sure what you're talking about.
    Hi friend!
    04-10-11 03:11 PM
    I wonder if the OP is using the European version of the G2 which is more like the OG myTouch.
    04-10-11 05:05 PM
    Still beats daily battery pulls.....
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    04-12-11 07:15 AM
    One thing I noticed that bothers me is the extra step that's required to place a call. One of the most basic functions of a phone and on my BB I just type the person's name from home screen and voila, I can call or text to. On an Android you have to go into each different app/program then type in the contact. Might not be a big deal to some, but it means a lot to me.
    04-12-11 10:58 AM
    One thing I noticed that bothers me is the extra step that's required to place a call. One of the most basic functions of a phone and on my BB I just type the person's name from home screen and voila, I can call or text to. On an Android you have to go into each different app/program then type in the contact. Might not be a big deal to some, but it means a lot to me.
    That was a nice feature.

Best you can do with Android, AFAIK, is getting a call widget.
    04-12-11 12:37 PM
    There are a couple of ways to do this quickly from the home screen. If you have the Google Search widget on a home screen, start typing a person's name into it. It will list contacts. Click on the contact, then on the call button.

You can also add contacts to a home screen, either just as a contact, our as a direct call button. I usually use the contact icon. That way, I can call, text, email, gtalk... with just two clicks.
    04-12-11 09:13 PM
    I found that using the right widgets and shortcuts that I can usually do things faster on my x than I could on the storm.

04-12-11 09:18 PM
    There are a couple of ways to do this quickly from the home screen. If you have the Google Search widget on a home screen, start typing a person's name into it. It will list contacts. Click on the contact, then on the call button.

You can also add contacts to a home screen, either just as a contact, our as a direct call button. I usually use the contact icon. That way, I can call, text, email, gtalk... with just two clicks.

Just learned something...
    04-12-11 09:28 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD