Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,323 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default omg!!!

Well I've been playing with my friends HTC G2 for a while to see if I'd be overall comfortable with moving over to android as my daily driver so to speak. Android is impressive in terms of customization and apps but today i discovered something that has totally turned me off as a blackberry user. The painfully difficult task of copy and pasting text from an email. I almost throw the damn phone to the ground and beat it to a dozen pieces. Is this intentional? I can't believe this is an over sight on Google's part.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    845 Global Posts

You might get a better response to your thread if you picked an appropriate thread title. Not sure omg!!! really tells people what the thread is about.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,323 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

Omg tells of my utter frustration and disappointment in such an awesome platform to ha e this oversight. Totally a deal breaker.

CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    6,355 Global Posts
    PIN
    7901FC6B

Trouble w/ copy & paste from an email? Are you using the gmail app? If so, yes that sucks but I think they're addressing it w/ the Gingerbread update. Copy & paste from the other email app is just like copy & paste throughout the rest of the system - long press, select text, tap copy, go to the desired spot, long press & paste.
    Everyone, everyone, stop fighting! Look unto me! I possess the blue flag! I wield the power infinite! The universal fabric is mine to unravel! My every thought becomes reality! Mountains will fall! Seas will boil! Day will be at night! People will...run...chicks'll dig me!

Global Posts
    6,355 Global Posts
    PIN
    7901FC6B

Also, an easy work-around would be to log into your email account using your phone's browser, & copying from there.
    Everyone, everyone, stop fighting! Look unto me! I possess the blue flag! I wield the power infinite! The universal fabric is mine to unravel! My every thought becomes reality! Mountains will fall! Seas will boil! Day will be at night! People will...run...chicks'll dig me!

some email clients have better copy and paste than others. its the problem with the various manufactures.
    ~Matt
    Nexus 5, Z10 LE, White Lumia 521, 32GB Nook HD+ & 16GB PB, 32 GB Dell Venue 8 Pro
    @howarmat
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,490 Global Posts

I never copy and pasted from the gmail app before but I just tried it and I see why you're frustrated. But if you like the overall experience of the os don't let this stop you from switching over.

CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    4,884 Global Posts

that's a minor issue that can be resolved Not a deal breaker for me

Have an Incredible day !
    Phoenix Suns Rule !
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,803 Global Posts
    PIN
    What's that?

Yeah, from the actual gmail app it is a bit of a pain, but everywhere else it is MASSIVELY better and easier than on the BB.

CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,183 Global Posts

I rarely copy and paste items. As long as the function is there I am happy.

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Tapatalk
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    458 Global Posts

"OMG" also makes you sound like a little teenage girl...
    "Do unto others...BEFORE they do unto you"
    CrackBerry Abuser

"OMG"I'm blk!!!

CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    4,723 Global Posts
    PIN
    BBM & Kik (ask)

One of the nice things about Android is that you can use different apps to replace native ones. K-9 and MailDroid both work with Gmail, so you could try different apps and see which one does what you want.
    RuneCryption - Unique memory game for PlayBook & BB10, now "Built for BlackBerry".
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,079 Global Posts
    PIN
    What's a pin?

Quote Originally Posted by Bajanbastard View Post
    Well I've been playing with my friends HTC G2 for a while to see if I'd be overall comfortable with moving over to android as my daily driver so to speak. Android is impressive in terms of customization and apps but today i discovered something that has totally turned me off as a blackberry user. The painfully difficult task of copy and pasting text from an email. I almost throw the damn phone to the ground and beat it to a dozen pieces. Is this intentional? I can't believe this is an over sight on Google's part.

With outbursts like that, I believe being able to copy and paste is the least of your worries.
    My opinon is mine and mine alone. If you don't like it, go to Match.com and find someone who cares.
    Got an Android? Check out www.androidcentral.com
    Shout out to CyberWarrior and his great walls!
    http://forum.androidcentral.com/wall...allpapers.html
    Thanked by:
    pantlesspenguin (04-10-2011) 
    CrackBerry Genius

I had the G2 when I was on T-Mobile and absolutely NO issues with copy/paste in any application or message. I'm not quite sure what you're talking about.
    "If I read a book and it makes my whole body so cold no fire can ever warm me, I know that is poetry." -Emily Dickinson

Global Posts
    6,355 Global Posts
    PIN
    7901FC6B

Quote Originally Posted by Artemis68 View Post
    I had the G2 when I was on T-Mobile and absolutely NO issues with copy/paste in any application or message. I'm not quite sure what you're talking about.
    Hi friend!
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,336 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Artemis68 View Post
    I wonder if the OP is using the European version of the G2 which is more like the OG myTouch.
    (AT&T)Nokia 5110(2001)-->(Cingular)Nokia 6102i (2007)-->(T-Mobile) Blackberry Pearl 8120 (2008)-->(T-Mobile) Blackberry Bold 9700(2010)-->(T-Mobile) T-Mobile G2 (2010)--> (Sprint) HTC Evo 4G White (2011)-->(T-Mobile) T-Mobile G2 (2011)--> (AT&T) HTC Inspire 4G (2011)(AT&T)HTC Vivid (2012)-->(Verizon) Samsung Galaxy S III White
    ~K Bear~
    Slayer of Misinformation

Global Posts
    5,378 Global Posts
    PIN
    Smartphones are for Smart People

Still beats daily battery pulls.....
    Thanked by:
    pantlesspenguin (04-12-2011) 
    CrackBerry Genius

PIN
    T OF YOUR FINEST PLEASE!

One thing I noticed that bothers me is the extra step that's required to place a call. One of the most basic functions of a phone and on my BB I just type the person's name from home screen and voila, I can call or text to. On an Android you have to go into each different app/program then type in the contact. Might not be a big deal to some, but it means a lot to me.
    Between Realities

Global Posts
    12,824 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BeyondTheBox View Post
    One thing I noticed that bothers me is the extra step that's required to place a call. One of the most basic functions of a phone and on my BB I just type the person's name from home screen and voila, I can call or text to. On an Android you have to go into each different app/program then type in the contact. Might not be a big deal to some, but it means a lot to me.
    That was a nice feature.

Best you can do with Android, AFAIK, is getting a call widget.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    4,723 Global Posts
    PIN
    BBM & Kik (ask)

Quote Originally Posted by BeyondTheBox View Post
    There are a couple of ways to do this quickly from the home screen. If you have the Google Search widget on a home screen, start typing a person's name into it. It will list contacts. Click on the contact, then on the call button.

You can also add contacts to a home screen, either just as a contact, our as a direct call button. I usually use the contact icon. That way, I can call, text, email, gtalk... with just two clicks.
    RuneCryption - Unique memory game for PlayBook & BB10, now "Built for BlackBerry".
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    4,503 Global Posts

I found that using the right widgets and shortcuts that I can usually do things faster on my x than I could on the storm.

Between Realities

Global Posts
    12,824 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Xopher View Post
    There are a couple of ways to do this quickly from the home screen. If you have the Google Search widget on a home screen, start typing a person's name into it. It will list contacts. Click on the contact, then on the call button.

You can also add contacts to a home screen, either just as a contact, our as a direct call button. I usually use the contact icon. That way, I can call, text, email, gtalk... with just two clicks.

Just learned something...