07-28-10 07:28 AM
    I'm from androidforums.com but I'm back to being a bb user because work issued me a tour. I can now bbm again!!!

And I got my droid x in the mail yesterday and its awesome. Much better than my droid and incredible were. Put em all side by side and compared speed and performance and I like the x the best. Thought I would miss sense but this new ui by motorola is just as good imo except there are no scenes.
    07-28-10 11:40 PM
    I'm from androidforums.com but I'm back to being a bb user because work issued me a tour. I can now bbm again!!!

And I got my droid x in the mail yesterday and its awesome. Much better than my droid and incredible were. Put em all side by side and compared speed and performance and I like the x the best. Thought I would miss sense but this new ui by motorola is just as good imo except there are no scenes.
    Congrats on the X. I personally do not like the UI (Sense is the best, but I like Vanilla Android better), so I don't use anything that has to do with Blur, but the device is awesome. Snappiest device I have ever used.
    07-29-10 11:41 AM
    Just got my DX two days ago, and I haven't put it down yet. This is my first Android device (after BB 8830, Storm1, and Tour). I just couldn't say no to the enormous screen! I really prefer physical keyboards, but the first time I saw the Evo, I knew I'd get whatever phone with a 4.3" screen Verizon offered. I read a review that complained that talking on the DX was like holding a Trapper Keeper up to your face, and all I could think was, "And that's a BAD thing!?!?" I love giant phones.

So, right off the bat, I've got to say that this thing is SO FAST. I mean, I really, really love BB, but now I get what everyone's saying when they say that RIM is behind the times. No BB I've seen has gone this fast. Hopefully the 9800 will offer the DX some competition, but with screen size...

ANYWAY. So it's fast, and I think the call quality far outshines my Tour (my most recent phone), and I really like the fact that there are homepage toggles for turning on and off all connections (BlueTooth, WiFi, Airplane, GPS). I always had to dig for those in BB.

Here's what I miss from BB:

-Sound profiles. I downloaded QuickProfile, which gave me the chance to make different sound themes and access them quickly, but I can't assign different tones to my different apps, so I have no way of knowing whether a notification is for mail, text msgs, or what.

-The ability to know what apps I have running. I can't tell yet whether or not returning to the homescreen *closes* the app I was using, or simply puts in in the background. I believe that holding the home button shows recently used apps, not currently running ones, so I have no idea if I'm draining my battery having stuff open in the background. Anyone know how to deal with this?

-The keyboard. Sorry, I just love physical keyboards, and BB does it so well. My texting speed and accuracy have gone WAY down. I'm learning to love swype, but my hands aren't big enough (small lady here) to swype in landscape mode. Anyone know if it's possible to have the swype keyboard show up when in portrait and the regular keyboard in landscape orientation, without having to go into the settings to switch it every time?

So, those are my first observations! I'm seriously loving this phone. Hubby and I couldn't BBM anymore, but we're on GoogleTalk now, which is going okay.

One other thing that's tricky when coming from BB: SO MANY APPS! I know it's a good thing overall, and it's one of the reasons I switched, but there are SO many apps for everything I search for, that I find myself wanting to be told which one is the best. I suppose the trial-and-error process is something I get to enjoy over time.
    Last edited by BluePlate55; 07-30-10 at 04:20 PM. Reason: Grammar fail.
    07-30-10 04:17 PM
    Ok so I got my Droid X today. I had the Droid since it launched and had sold it last month and picked up the iPhone 4 which went back Wednesday. So after using the Droid X for the past few hours I have to say I much prefer the vanilla Android of the Moto Droid over the changes they made on the X.

Does anyone know if there is going to be a way to go back to vanilla Android OS? I know it was recently rooted so I'm wondering if there will be vanilla Android ROMs.

I'm still messing with other stuff to be able to form a good opinion.
    07-30-10 05:45 PM
    Ok so I got my Droid X today. I had the Droid since it launched and had sold it last month and picked up the iPhone 4 which went back Wednesday. So after using the Droid X for the past few hours I have to say I much prefer the vanilla Android of the Moto Droid over the changes they made on the X.

Does anyone know if there is going to be a way to go back to vanilla Android OS? I know it was recently rooted so I'm wondering if there will be vanilla Android ROMs.

I'm still messing with other stuff to be able to form a good opinion.
    As of right now it can only be rooted. The X has a locked bootloader so it is going to take a while to get custom ROMs, and that's if it even happens. You can remove a lot of the bloatware that comes stock with the X though if you root. You can also download a homescreen replacement app like LauncherPro or ADW and it makes the device look like Vanilla Android.

I know what you are saying about the UI, but after doing what I said above (and even without), the device is so much fast and more responsive than the Droid that I don't even care about Motorola's tweaks. I would love to see the bootloader cracked though, then it's a free for all.
    07-30-10 06:31 PM
    As of right now it can only be rooted. The X has a locked bootloader so it is going to take a while to get custom ROMs, and that's if it even happens. You can remove a lot of the bloatware that comes stock with the X though if you root. You can also download a homescreen replacement app like LauncherPro or ADW and it makes the device look like Vanilla Android.

I know what you are saying about the UI, but after doing what I said above (and even without), the device is so much fast and more responsive than the Droid that I don't even care about Motorola's tweaks. I would love to see the bootloader cracked though, then it's a free for all.
    Ah yes I heard about the lock they have on it. I can't believe that after only a month away from Android I'm having to go through such a readjustment period to get used to it. Part of it is trying to get used to these changes to stock Android widgets/apps and part of it is that iOS4 is more polished and everything seems to be integrated better. I do love the responsiveness of the X and the screen real estate is much appreciated.
    07-30-10 07:51 PM
    Ah yes I heard about the lock they have on it. I can't believe that after only a month away from Android I'm having to go through such a readjustment period to get used to it. Part of it is trying to get used to these changes to stock Android widgets/apps and part of it is that iOS4 is more polished and everything seems to be integrated better. I do love the responsiveness of the X and the screen real estate is much appreciated.
    iOS is just the easiest OS to use. Give it to a 3 year old, and they will know what they are doing in 5 min (I've seen it done).
    07-31-10 01:09 PM
    iOS is just the easiest OS to use. Give it to a 3 year old, and they will know what they are doing in 5 min (I've seen it done).
    Agreed, my 34 month old daughter can operate my ipod touch like it's hers (she doesn't get much face time with it either). But ease of use is about the only benefit of iOS IMO.
    07-31-10 11:08 PM
    I got my DX last Wednesday and I have to say it is all I had hoped my BB Tour would be and so much more.

A screen I can actually see and a browser that works well and quickly just for starters. I love this phone.

I can walk around my house and not have calls drop even when there are no bars showing. I'm keeping it.

All I need to do now is figure out how to put the Tour back to the way it was when I received it so I can put it up for sale.

I'm going to miss crackberry.com but I'm not going to miss the BB Tour.
    08-02-10 07:33 AM
    No reason to leave CB. You are just dumping the BB, no need to dump the community.
    08-02-10 07:49 AM
    I got my DX last Wednesday and I have to say it is all I had hoped my BB Tour would be and so much more.

A screen I can actually see and a browser that works well and quickly just for starters. I love this phone.

I can walk around my house and not have calls drop even when there are no bars showing. I'm keeping it.

All I need to do now is figure out how to put the Tour back to the way it was when I received it so I can put it up for sale.

Congrats i had 6 blackberry storms, 3 tours, 1 bold and i finally switched o_0 change your device also to the droid X so people dont think ur trollin lmfao
    08-02-10 08:50 PM
    Just got my Droid X today!!! Loving everything about it
    08-02-10 09:32 PM
    Thanks...............
    08-03-10 11:03 AM
    Just got my Droid X today!!! Loving everything about it
    Ditto here last week. I love my Droid X so much more than my Tour and I won't be looking back.
    08-05-10 11:41 AM
    Ditto here last week. I love my Droid X so much more than my Tour and I won't be looking back.
    Haha your user name is classic! Lol

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-05-10 06:02 PM
    from the storm to the droid x, couldn't be happier. this phone is the best available in the u.s.
    08-07-10 04:35 PM
    Well not "yet" a droid user...but it was ordered yesterday! Can't wait to ditch this storm 1 "paperweight".
    08-10-10 01:26 PM
    I'm debating on getting the Droid X and I currently have the TOUR, Can you customize it so on the home screen, you can see ur upcoming appointments? Because I bought a new home screen for my BB so I could see my appointments that I have because I have a lot of meetings and stuff that I like to see whenever I'm in my home screen, can I do that with the Droid X? Because that is the only thing keeping me from getting the Droid X. Also, can you get immediate updates if you use Facebook and stuff like that? I am addicted to my Tour, and I think a BlackBerry is a much classier phone, pulling out a BlackBerry, makes a statement. But the Droid seems awesome, but it looks cheap, like any other free touch screen you would get at Verizon. So I'm stuck between the two. Help me please.
    08-10-10 06:25 PM
    I'm debating on getting the Droid X and I currently have the TOUR, Can you customize it so on the home screen, you can see ur upcoming appointments? Because I bought a new home screen for my BB so I could see my appointments that I have because I have a lot of meetings and stuff that I like to see whenever I'm in my home screen, can I do that with the Droid X? Because that is the only thing keeping me from getting the Droid X. Also, can you get immediate updates if you use Facebook and stuff like that? I am addicted to my Tour, and I think a BlackBerry is a much classier phone, pulling out a BlackBerry, makes a statement. But the Droid seems awesome, but it looks cheap, like any other free touch screen you would get at Verizon. So I'm stuck between the two. Help me please.
    I know when I had the droid u could customize it, but don't know about the meetings. I suggest u do more research on the X b4 u jump ship. Pple are good on this board, but your questions are sort of deep so just google droid x specs or customization or somethin like that.

Last edited by not_addicted77; 08-10-10 at 08:18 PM.
    08-10-10 07:04 PM
    I'm debating on getting the Droid X and I currently have the TOUR, Can you customize it so on the home screen, you can see ur upcoming appointments? Because I bought a new home screen for my BB so I could see my appointments that I have because I have a lot of meetings and stuff that I like to see whenever I'm in my home screen, can I do that with the Droid X? Because that is the only thing keeping me from getting the Droid X.
    Yes, just make a calendar widget on your main home screen.
    08-12-10 04:45 PM
    After playing around with BB OS 6 on the Torch, I've decided to make the switch to the Android platform. I'm going from a Tour to a Droid X and I couldn't be any happier. :]
    08-15-10 08:44 PM
    After playing around with BB OS 6 on the Torch, I've decided to make the switch to the Android platform. I'm going from a Tour to a Droid X and I couldn't be any happier. :]
    Might be me next, but I have to see how the 9670 turns out.

08-15-10 10:27 PM
    I left my BB Bold 9650 for the X because I need the mobile hotspot option more than the world phone option. And, the Android platform is more geared towards phone nerds such as myself

Geeks unite!!
    08-18-10 08:54 AM
    Checked out this phone today. Like it a lot. Need to check with my IT guy 1st, but if he says no prob, i could see myself dumping the S2 for the Droid X or Incredible.

Big problem though. Im not elidgible for any kind of upgrade until next year, so the phone would be over $500.

If i were to threaten to leave, and buy out of my contract to go to an iPhone, would they relent?
    08-18-10 06:08 PM
165 ... 23456 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD