Who's waiting for some LTE devices to come out? I know I'm only five months into my contract but it's never too early to start looking forward.

I'm sure we'll start hearing of LTE Droids not too long from now. Who else is waiting?
    07-02-10 03:03 PM
    Who's waiting for some LTE devices to come out? I know I'm only five months into my contract but it's never too early to start looking forward.

I'm sure we'll start hearing of LTE Droids not too long from now. Who else is waiting?
    LTE devices as in tablets and things like that.. by mid year of 2011 is when you will see the phones... WiMax for the win right now and they can change to LTE if needed..
    07-02-10 03:11 PM
    im guessing early next year they will roll out 2 phones, a bb and an android phone on LTE
    07-02-10 03:25 PM
    LTE devices as in tablets and things like that.. by mid year of 2011 is when you will see the phones... WiMax for the win right now and they can change to LTE if needed..
    Most reports state that LTE handsets will launch as early as Black Friday but I don't doubt we'll start seeing a few phones this year. I hope Motorola can dish out a high powered LTE Droid anywhere from holiday season to New Years day.
    Last edited by dwe28; 07-02-10 at 03:30 PM.
    07-02-10 03:25 PM
    Most reports state that LTE handsets will start launching as early as Black Friday. And no, I meant LTE devices as in smartphones.
    from what i remember Verizon stated phones won;t be till 2011
    07-02-10 03:30 PM
    from what i remember Verizon stated phones won;t be till 2011
    I'll probably hold out until Q1 2011 then.
    Last edited by dwe28; 07-08-10 at 08:32 PM.
    07-02-10 03:39 PM
    Phones are supposed to launch on Black Friday, true, but these may not be LTE phones. It looks like LTE devices will launch at CES in Jan. 2011

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-02-10 04:21 PM
    I'm fairly certain we'll only have LTE aircards when it launches. Handsets won't be released till 2011.

07-02-10 04:27 PM
    How will LTE effect my every day phone usage? What will become that much better? Just wondering because people say wait till LTE phones come out to upgrade.
    07-02-10 07:04 PM
    I'm just waiting to be my hands in an HSPA+ device.
    07-02-10 07:10 PM
    How will LTE effect my every day phone usage? What will become that much better? Just wondering because people say wait till LTE phones come out to upgrade.
    Here's a post from an article I just found on Google.

LTE, or Long Term Evolution, is a a 4th generation (4G) mobile broadband standard and is aimed to be the successor to the 3G technologies GSM/UMTS. It is currently in development and is considered the competitor to WiMAX. Carriers will include Verizon, T-Mobile, Vodafone, AT&T, and many more worldwide.

Like WiMAX, this technology will provide broadband services wirelessly (like EVDO), but instead of transmitting signals via microwaves, LTE utilizes a radio platform. You will need a LTE modem to access the network, which can be in USB format, ExpressCard, PCMCIA, or embedded in a laptop; it will also likely be featured as the internet connection on PDAs and phones.

This super-fast network, which is promising peak download rates of up 100Mbps, will provide an alternative to DSL, cable, satellite, and dial-up internet, which will be a big boon to people living in areas that aren't currently serviced by a high-speed network. It will also free people from the burden of having to find a WiFi hotspot when they are on the road - as long as you have an LTE modem, you can connect to the internet anywhere in the service provider's coverage area!
    What is LTE?

From what I've read, it will be better than WiMax. For one, it will be much more widespread which means more phones. Verizon and AT&T will both be using LTE and I won't be surprised if T-Mobile eventually does as well.
    Last edited by dwe28; 07-03-10 at 10:12 AM.
    07-02-10 07:37 PM
    Looks like the Galaxy S2 might be a potential LTE phone. The specs are amazing!

4.3” 1280x720px Super AMOLED 2 display
    2GHz CPU, 1GB RAM/4GB ROM
    32GB of built-in flash memory, +32GB microSD card slot
    8 mpx camera with FullHD video recording
    A-GPS, Bluetooth 3.0, Wi-Fi b/g/n
    3.5mm audiojack
    accelerometer, gyroscope, proximity and ambient light sensors

The new Samsung Galaxy i9200 should run on Android 3.0 OS.
    Samsung Galaxy S2 Specs and Photo Leak - Droid Forum - Verizon Droid & the Motorola Droid Forum
    07-05-10 07:55 PM
    Looks like the Galaxy S2 might be a potential LTE phone. The specs are amazing!

Samsung Galaxy S2 Specs and Photo Leak - Droid Forum - Verizon Droid & the Motorola Droid Forum
    The image of the phone looks photoshopped but the specs are sexy. I'll believe it when it actually leaks or when it is announced.
    07-05-10 08:22 PM
    The image of the phone looks photoshopped but the specs are sexy. I'll believe it when it actually leaks or when it is announced.
    Yeah, I doubt it's the real pic. I don't doubt the specs though. Hope more info gets leaked about the Motorola 2GHz phone soon.
    07-05-10 08:32 PM
    i highly doubt we'll see any lte phones before q2 2011 at the very earliest.
    07-05-10 08:44 PM
    I'm just waiting to be my hands in an HSPA+ device.

Just a regular 7.2 device also.
    07-05-10 08:53 PM
    i highly doubt we'll see any lte phones before q2 2011 at the very earliest.
    I don't, considering how fast technology is moving. I read somewhere that we could start seeing LTE phones as early as January.
    07-05-10 09:20 PM
    This has been an interesting set of rumors.

Here is what I know:

1) VZW LTE is going live on 11/16
    2) some "Devices" will be available on Black Friday (day after Thanksgiving)
    3) VZW will announce up to 5 phones at CTIA in Vegas in Jan 2011 that will all be availabe by May 2011.

So what I am being told us that the "devices" are laptop cards and tablets. No phones until 2011.

That being said I could see 1 or 2 phones going live before the holidays. Rumors about the S3 are that it, or and android device will be the first and will be ready in November.

Could just be confusion stemming around the "devices" tag.

I think VZW will push 1 or 2 phones out for the holiday just to have some 4G love out there and pluck that feather out of sprint's hat.

If there was no other 4G network I would say it would mid 2011 at the earliest but with competition out there they may move up the time tables. Especially with the holidays right there.

07-06-10 07:32 AM
    i think we'll definitely see LTE laptop cards and like devices on vzw this year, but i just don't think we'll see the phones.

reasons why: 1) there likely hasn't been enough time for manufacturers to develop and test a LTE device on the vzw network, most of the phones being released this year have already been in development for close to a year already. 2) vzw has very good and fast 3g network and their only major competition (att) isn't close to a 4g device this year. also look at how shoddy and limited 4g is on sprint. the coverage is so limited where it is available that it sucks up battery to fast to be useful for much other than novelty. sprint needs to expand the coverage area in the cities where 4g is already available, not just roll out very limited coverage to new cities just so they can say they have it. 3) there really isn't much pressure to rush out a lte device. i do think they'll try to get the jump on att before they release a true 4g iphone, but i doubt they'll be rushed by sprint due to the aforementioned reasons.

that said, blackberry is always the last to market with new features and innovation. rim is very risk averse and i doubt they will want to make their customers a guinea pig again, as they did with the storm. plus battery life is a known handicap with 4g, another reason why rim will delay releasing a 4g device since this is one of the last areas they have a leg up on the competition. for that reason i think we'll probably see an android phone, or even a windows 7 phone as the first 4g device on either vzw or att. should be interesting...

edit: i wouldn't mind being wrong.
    Last edited by BzB; 07-06-10 at 08:44 AM.
    07-06-10 08:42 AM
    @BzB - I would have to counter on a few points...

LTE chipsets have been available from Qualcomm for a few years now and VZW's plans have been in place for about as long. They have been doing internal testing on the network for a few months now. So there has been plenty of time to develop and build LTE phones. I think if they are not ready in November, it is more about the roll out strategy which is almost always notebook cards first for a few months before Phones.

As far as RIM goes, remember that the Storm 1 was one of the first devices on VZW to run EvDo Rev A. That part of the Phone was never really an issue. Rumors around the Storm 3 have always said it was 4g and now are saying that it would drop in Nov as the first, or second LTE device. I think RIM is playing the game a bit differently today based on a lot of what they are doing.(WebKit, Unix Core, etc.)

Will 4 G reduce Battery life? I had thought LTE was supposed to improve it? Obviously the initial devices have to support CDMA, so you may not see it for a while.

I too hope your Wrong (LOL), but in truth I think some devices will be ready this year, it will just come done to software testing (since VZW is very thorough) and if they want to announce them at CTIA in January. Although, I can't see holding back and missing X-Mas just for an announcement.
    07-06-10 11:42 AM
    ^ fair enough...

sure the chipsets have been around, however as you acknowledged, manufacturers need to support more than just LTE with as little impact to overall usability as possible. this is why i think rim will be late to the game with LTE, and rightfully so, if they want to maintain their handset core competencies in addition to successfully launching/supporting their new os 6 handsets and features.

as for battery life, an all LTE phone on a LTE network with a strong and widespread signal should have better battery life, but that's not available yet. so, i just don't think we'll see an all LTE only phone for some time and battery life will remain a challenge for those needing to support legacy networks. a challenge that rim, with their strong market share, may not feel is necessary to tackle right now. while others looking to grab market share may be more apt to take the risk since they have nothing to lose, like sprint and htc.

either way it's a wait and see status right now. q3 is here so i'd expect to hear something more definitive by end of august or sometime in september at the latest if something will happen this year. otherwise we're probably looking at q2 2011 imo. should be interesting.
    07-06-10 02:39 PM
    So out of the big four, is Sprint the only one that isn't switching to LTE?
    07-06-10 03:14 PM
    So out of the big four, is Sprint the only one that isn't switching to LTE?
    Yup. I believe they have made a statement (or CW did) that the technology they are using is pretty easily convertible to LTE though if they decide in the future to switch.
    07-06-10 03:29 PM
    Yup. I believe they have made a statement (or CW did) that the technology they are using is pretty easily convertible to LTE though if they decide in the future to switch.
    that is true . they are using Wimax but if they need to they can easily switch to LTE if needed
    07-06-10 04:40 PM
    that is true . they are using Wimax but if they need to they can easily switch to LTE if needed
    They should switch asap. LTE will be way more common which means way more phones/support. Nobody's gonna wanna make phones for WiMax when it'll only cover 1/4 of the market as opposed to the 3/4 which will run on LTE.
    07-06-10 05:08 PM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD