No disrespect but why is it your right to turn off Sense? If HTC/Verizon wants to sell an Android with Sense, so be it. It's up to them if there is an on/off button.
    The problem is some people just want to be able to do what they want to their devices. And I understand that, but I also understand the fact there are some things you have to take as they are and certain things just aren't going to be customizable.

Maybe for this device they really want the HTC Sense to be put out there on a powerful device which will help them sell future devices. Who knows, but sometimes we gotta live with it.
    04-27-10 10:24 AM
    The problem is some people just want to be able to do what they want to their devices. And I understand that, but I also understand the fact there are some things you have to take as they are and certain things just aren't going to be customizable.

Maybe for this device they really want the HTC Sense to be put out there on a powerful device which will help them sell future devices. Who knows, but sometimes we gotta live with it.
    Totally understand and agree with you. What is sometimes difficult for people on these forums to understand (myself included) is that we are the extreme minority of people that tinker with their phones. Most people out there have no idea that you can load custom Roms, Hybrids, etc... HTC/Verizon/Google/RIM have to make things that work for the masses, not the minority. If HTC/Verizon feel that Sense makes a more user friendly experience for the masses, then that's what they'll do. Know what I'm saying?
    04-27-10 10:52 AM
    Like someone else mentioned... Google themselves said the Nexus One was coming for Verizon, so I doubt there were many disbelievers, including yourself.

As far as phones not coming to CDMA after GSM? BlackBerry?
    I never saw that quote from Google, so no, I wasn't really convinced.

As far as CDMA after GSM, I didn't mean brands, I meant models. IE, You see a 9700 get released to GSM. You won't see the 9700 ever come to CDMA. The Storm2 / Curve2 both were released GSM/CDMA simultaneously, but not GSM then CDMA. It just seems like a rule that once one model goes GSM, most of the time it doesn't end up making it to CDMA.

Despite an amateur's belief, a device's success on Verizon/AT&T can prove to be quite pivotal. iPhone? Android really blew up after the Moto Droid (though T-Mobile did a decent job of pushing their Android's). How about that Pre? It didn't debut on either AT&T or Verizon, and look at where Palm is at now.

Now I'm not saying that the two carriers are the only contributing factor in a phone's success, but if it's on one of the two major carriers in the States, the chances of the device being successful is going to be much higher.
    Amateur what, exactly? Did I claim to be some kind of smartphone entrepaneur? The iPhone blew up just as much on Rogers/Fido as it did on AT&T, percentage wise. Android is also blowing up now that the Motorola Milestone is out on Telus, it's making quite a dent in Telus' iPhone pie. Telus and Bell are the biggest carriers here. Bell got the Pre and it sold all of maybe half a million units.

I'm not disagreeing with that statement that yes, the US market does make an impact, but the way people talk about Verizon on this site you'd think it was the only carrier on the planet. I can't even count how many people say "Oh, just use your NE2!" And when you look at who they're addressing, they're on Telus, Bell, O2, Vodaphone, etc. You can say that "If they're on major US carriers, they'll do better." until you're blue in the face, it still doesn't change the fact that advertisements and American stores don't affect the rest of the world. A Verizon booth in Ohio isn't going to get a Droid into my hand as fast as my own carriers will. They phone might do better in the US, but that doesn't constitute the entire world.

I didn't necessarily mean that they didn't have their impact, but let's say a smartphone..I don't know, a new Nokia, or something, came out, and neither AT&T nor Verizon got it. That doesn't at all mean the phone is going to flop in sales. That was all I was trying to say, that yes the US carriers are a big piece of the mobile phone pie, but they're still just a piece.
    Last edited by GlitchZero; 04-27-10 at 01:02 PM.
    04-27-10 12:58 PM
    I never saw that quote from Google, so no, I wasn't really convinced.
    It was on the site when you were purchasing a Nexus one. It looked something like it does now. This was on their official site for purchasing the Nexus one. So if you didn't purchase one or go their to look you wouldn't have seen it. But they said it. Check the link and picture. Who wouldn't believe it if Google put it on their site themselves?

Google Nexus One headed to Verizon Wireless and Vodafone in Spring 2010 � Boy Genius Report
    Last edited by scorpiodsu; 04-27-10 at 03:04 PM.
    04-27-10 03:00 PM
    Totally understand and agree with you. What is sometimes difficult for people on these forums to understand (myself included) is that we are the extreme minority of people that tinker with their phones. Most people out there have no idea that you can load custom Roms, Hybrids, etc... HTC/Verizon/Google/RIM have to make things that work for the masses, not the minority. If HTC/Verizon feel that Sense makes a more user friendly experience for the masses, then that's what they'll do. Know what I'm saying?
    Completely agree. And you're right people do not understand that the users on this site represent a very small population of actual smartphone users.
    04-27-10 03:01 PM
    No disrespect but why is it your right to turn off Sense? If HTC/Verizon wants to sell an Android with Sense, so be it. It's up to them if there is an on/off button.
    Yeah and it's up to me if they get my $200. Like it's that hard to offer 2.1 and 2.1 with sense?
    04-27-10 04:26 PM
56 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD