So I finally convinced my wife that an iPad will not be as practical for both of us when we're traveling together. That an android tablet is what we need since I needed access to streaming charts (for investments) and the iPad didn't support Java.

After spending some time at Best Buys, I was very disappointed to learn that the Android tablets don't support Java as well. I guess shocked was more like it.

So unless ICS will support it, I guess I'll have to wait for a decent Windows Tablet with good battery life to buy one.

I suppose I just assumed that the android would support it.

Any clues as to whether ICS will support Java?

TIA
    11-18-11 07:47 PM
    Google and Oracle are not friendly with each other. There was a lawsuit regarding Java. I don't know if it was ever settled or not.

Edit: Here's some info:

Google vs. Oracle trial delayed, but it’s no threat to Android, spokesperson says | VentureBeat
    Google drops legal bomb in its own front yard as Oracle goes after Android | VentureBeat
    FOSS Patents: Oracle and Google keep wrangling over potentially impactful Lindholm draft email
    FOSS Patents: Judge orders overhaul of Oracle's damages report but maintains Halloween trial date

The information available so far has Google looking pretty bad in the way they handled the Java issue.
    Last edited by zc1; 11-18-11 at 08:30 PM.
    11-18-11 08:21 PM
    Tks for the info zc1.

Good Luck
    11-19-11 09:00 AM
    What type of Java are you referring to? Wasn't sure if you were referring to Java I'm webpages or Java apparel.
    I can see Java text and Java rotating pictures I have running on a site just fine.
    It's kind of choppy in the stock browser, but runs a little bit smoother on some of the 3rd party browsers.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk
    11-19-11 09:57 AM
    What type of Java are you referring to? Wasn't sure if you were referring to Java I'm webpages or Java apparel.
    I can see Java text and Java rotating pictures I have running on a site just fine.
    It's kind of choppy in the stock browser, but runs a little bit smoother on some of the 3rd party browsers.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk
    cdf3,
    I'm not a techie so if the following sounds stupid it's because it's coming from me:
    I need to access through the android browser a site that requires Java.

From what I'm reading, this is different from running java apps on android tablet.

TIA
    11-19-11 09:46 PM
    I'm also not sure what type of Java you are talking about. Most websites use Javascript, which Android does support (although it may need to be turned on in the browser settings). Are you talking about Java web apps? I think games like Farmville are done as Java web apps, but I've never played them.

As far as the whole debacle with Oracle, it has to do with Java applications on the device, not web apps. Applications on Android can be written in native code (C+ +), or Java. Java apps run in a Dalvik virtual machine. The Dalvik code is what the Oracle issue is mostly about. Quite a good number of apps written for Android are done using Java. So, Java apps written for Android do run fine.

Java web apps might be the issue. I haven't worked with web apps (I've written apps for BlackBerry and Android using Java), so I'm not sure if they will work on Android. One thing that I do know about Android is that there are a lot of different web browsers available. Quite possibly the default browser doesn't support Java web apps, but maybe Opera, Dolphin, Chrome, or a different browser might.

Sent from my gTablet using Tapatalk.
    02-11-12 09:38 AM
    OK Guys, since I started this thread and I'm not a techie, I'll try to be more specific.

When I go to investools.com and then click on graphs and then Prophet charts, it prompts me to download Java.

So when I click the link, I get the following message:

"Your Device does not support JAVA SE"

This message is displayed when attempting to access investools.com either from a Android tablet or an IPad.

This site is crucial to my investments and consequently I can't go to a tablet device that is not Windows not many of those out there yet.

Hope this clarifies my post.

Good Luck
    02-11-12 10:48 AM
    You're looking for a tablet that has a browser that supports java applets. So they need to support a JVM running within the browser.

I would not assume that Windows 8 tablets will support that either. We'll see.
    02-11-12 11:20 AM
    You're looking for a tablet that has a browser that supports java applets. So they need to support a JVM running within the browser.

Tks for the detail info app_Developer.
    I will definitely copy the info for my reference.

By any chance do you know if a MacBook Air will support the above?

TIA
    02-11-12 07:21 PM
    Tks for the detail info app_Developer.
    I will definitely copy the info for my reference.

By any chance do you know if a MacBook Air will support the above?

TIA
    The Air doesn't ship with a Java runtime anymore. But you can download one from Apple for free. That will work in either Safari or Chrome.
    02-11-12 07:46 PM
    The Air doesn't ship with a Java runtime anymore. But you can download one from Apple for free. That will work in either Safari or Chrome.
    Tks again a_D.
    Good Luck
    02-12-12 03:16 PM
    there are three forms of Java:

JavaScript: is responsible for some web page animations. supported by everything.

Java Applets: acts similar to a flash game like FarmVille, but is not flash. requires a JVM, support is not always there

Java applications: standalone apps that are available through your home screen and don't require your browser. platform specific.

I'm pretty sure the OP is referring to Java Applets, but note that Windows 8will not support Java if the tablet is using an ARM processor.
    02-12-12 04:24 PM
    there are three forms of Java:

JavaScript: is responsible for some web page animations. supported by everything.

Java Applets: acts similar to a flash game like FarmVille, but is not flash. requires a JVM, support is not always there

Java applications: standalone apps that are available through your home screen and don't require your browser. platform specific.

I'm pretty sure the OP is referring to Java Applets, but note that Windows 8will not support Java if the tablet is using an ARM processor.
    Thanks for the additional info grahamf,

Good Luck
    02-13-12 07:55 PM

Windows 8 tablets are Metro UI.

"The Metro UI version of Internet Explorer is plugin free, which means that you won�t be able to access Flash, Silverlight or Java contents using that browser. Microsoft concentrates fully on HTML5, which is a bold move."

Windows 8 And Internet Explorer 10

When Microsoft concentrates fully on HTML5, it's a bold move.

When Apple does the same, their products are "Fatally Flawed"
    02-13-12 08:02 PM
    I do not know whether the ESPOW tablet pc can run Java or not,but it's a must I recommend to you buddy~
    This tablet computer can do including: surfing the internet, email, games, movies, e-books, music, photo review, Google Talk, Google Maps and so much more. Due to supporting G-sense, you can play G-sense game.
    Last edited by sarachou; 03-13-12 at 04:27 AM.
    02-16-12 09:36 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD