So, I just saw the video of the upcoming browser for BB. It's nice - very nice.

BlackBerry WebKit Browser Video Demo First Look! | CrackBerry.com

But, considering Android devices have (or, will have) Google Maps with voice turn-by-turn directions, I still believe I will be moving to Android.

I wanted to ask you Android owners -- if BB had this hot new browser, would you go back to BB?
    02-16-10 02:47 PM
    LOL, **** no.
    02-16-10 02:48 PM
    Still looks pretty slow on the video demo, especially with the slow navigation with the cursor using the trackpad.

And they used wifi, not 3G.
    Last edited by xliderider; 02-16-10 at 03:04 PM.
    02-16-10 02:53 PM
    Yeeee....no.
    02-16-10 03:12 PM
    lol. I'm calling BS. Most desktop browsers don't even score 100/100 on the acid test. Tried it on my computer and got a 100/100, 92/100 on firefox 3.6 and IE 8 failed. Got 93/100 on the default droid browser and the amazon page loaded faster than on the video with the droid using only 3G instead of wifi.
    02-16-10 03:30 PM
    Android is an interesting product, but BB have some hot features too. Depend what you need...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-16-10 03:37 PM
    i didn't switch to android for the browser. i'd be lying if i said it didn't matter, but browsing wasn't even in the top 3 reasons for me switching.

congrats to them for getting closer to catching up with the other big boys on browsing ability.
    02-16-10 04:03 PM
    God, I'd love to come back to BB, but, I fear fail... Not sure there's a form factor of theirs I'd even want at this point.

I think at this point, I'd prefer Android vendors just fine tune a few things hardware wise and email app wise.
    02-16-10 04:59 PM
    i hope they mak it gud
    02-16-10 05:05 PM
    Not impressed with that browser at all. Pages took a long time to load....over WiFi, and I am pretty sure they skipped through the loading screens.
    02-16-10 06:26 PM
    I thought it looked a bit slow.. especially considering they edited to not show the person actually starting some of the pages..
    02-16-10 08:09 PM
    So, basically . . . FAIL. I figured as much. lol.
    02-17-10 02:22 PM
    Epic fail. They need a whole new OS, and a modern device that can show RIM is doing something brand-new! So again fail

02-17-10 04:39 PM
    Epic fail. They need a whole new OS, and a modern device that can show RIM is doing something brand-new! So again fail

Why do something brand new when you can just buy out a smaller company who does it better than you....right? RIM couldn't get their browser right since the beginning. If it was still up to them alone it would be hopeless.
    02-17-10 06:28 PM
    lol. I'm calling BS. Most desktop browsers don't even score 100/100 on the acid test. Tried it on my computer and got a 100/100, 92/100 on firefox 3.6 and IE 8 failed. Got 93/100 on the default droid browser and the amazon page loaded faster than on the video with the droid using only 3G instead of wifi.
    Mobile safari scored 100. The current BB browser scored 90/100, yet it falls WAY behind the default droid browser. I believe the acid3 score was real however its just a measure of compliance with current web-standards. A lot of the browsing experience depends on hardware.
    I will defend the new BB browser on one point however. Data compression. According to RIM, most (I.e. IPhone and android) actually download close to 140% of the page data to get it on the device, where as on the new BB browser only 40%. Not sure how it works exactly as I'm just quoting RIM but it should mean faster page load times in general.

02-17-10 07:32 PM
    I can see mobile safari scoring that high. I don't see it really being an accurate test with all the compression that RIM does which they were using wifi so I don't believe that goes through their servers unless they're changing things which would be a major fail on rims part. Which I guess they could've just had it connected to wifi but not had it set to wifi browser. It'd really suck to not have internet on your phone even through wifi during a BIS outage. And even with all the compression, it's not any faster than the other webkit browser. The new opera mini previewed on the iphone 3gs at MWC is also compressed and said to be 5x faster than mobile safari. That would be insane.

The current BB browser scored 90/100
    I never got anywhere near that high on my storm and I couldn't even get a Sprint Curve 8330 to load the page today at work..
    Last edited by PJnc284; 02-17-10 at 08:28 PM.
    02-17-10 07:48 PM
    Mobile safari scored 100. The current BB browser scored 90/100, yet it falls WAY behind the default droid browser. I believe the acid3 score was real however its just a measure of compliance with current web-standards. A lot of the browsing experience depends on hardware.
    I will defend the new BB browser on one point however. Data compression. According to RIM, most (I.e. IPhone and android) actually download close to 140% of the page data to get it on the device, where as on the new BB browser only 40%. Not sure how it works exactly as I'm just quoting RIM but it should mean faster page load times in general.

I'm not arguing against you here because I heard it too, but how the frack do you download 140% of something? That makes no sense whatsoever. Most current mobile browsers download 100% of the real website data, just like your PC browser does. How that accounts for 40% more in RIM's math I have no idea.
    02-17-10 08:06 PM
    never got anywhere near that high on my storm and I couldn't even get a Spring Curve 8330 to load the page today at work..
    I tested it on my 9700 running .442 over ATT 3G. Twice, both times 90/100.

...how the frack do you download 140% of something...
    I still can't wrap my head around where RIM got that number lol.
    I'd probably be a bit more excited for this new browser if I wasn't getting a Nexus One when its compatible with ATT's 3G bands. Don't get me wrong, I love my 9700 (and all the previous blackberry smartphones I've had) but I'm really liking where android is going and I want something I can tinker with (its the hacker inside of me lol).

02-17-10 08:18 PM
    *edit* (wouldn't work on my berry lol)
    The fact that I scored 90/100 on my 9700 and the poster with the storm didn't makes me wonder how much variation there really is in the native applications on different platform versions across the different devices.

02-17-10 08:22 PM
    *edit* (wouldn't work on my berry lol)
    The fact that I scored 90/100 on my 9700 and the poster with the storm didn't makes me wonder how much variation there really is in the native applications on different platform versions across the different devices.

I must be special then because my Storm hit 93/100. It wasn't quick, but it hit it.

02-17-10 10:41 PM
    I'll bet the 140% comes from having to d/l data twice. Downloading the data, then having to re-d/l the data.

Otherwise, I should have my math teachers give this one a go.
    02-17-10 10:55 PM
    I must be special then because my Storm hit 93/100. It wasn't quick, but it hit it.

Is that the default bb browser? Don't think I ever got above an 80 when I tried. It's been a couple months since I tried it so I don't remember the exact number but I remember it being pretty pathetic. Opera Mini actually got in the 90's though.
    02-18-10 07:22 AM
    The new BlackBerry browser looks really cool. I'm glad that they are working to produce a modern browser for their devices. I wouldn't go back to them just because the browser is improved. At best, the browser will have the same experience as my Hero. Why would I switch back? Blackberry could never get their Google integration correct. I need to-be able to sync my contacts and calendar flawlessly in two-way sync. Android has proven to work better for me. I still love Blackberry products. But I haven't been this satisfied with a device since my 3 GS and I like my Hero better than that.

Last edited by dwaynewilliams; 02-20-10 at 06:10 PM.
    02-19-10 05:29 AM
    So, I just saw the video of the upcoming browser for BB. It's nice - very nice.

BlackBerry WebKit Browser Video Demo First Look! | CrackBerry.com

But, considering Android devices have (or, will have) Google Maps with voice turn-by-turn directions, I still believe I will be moving to Android.

I wanted to ask you Android owners -- if BB had this hot new browser, would you go back to BB?
    Absolutely not. The android browser is miles ahead of the Blackberry Webkit browser.

02-19-10 07:58 AM
    No effin' way!!!

RIM would have to come out with something more than a browser for me to go back, as previously stated.
    02-19-10 08:04 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD