So this weekend my good friend comes to town and he has the HTC EVO so i asked if I could try it out...WOW, what a HUGE disapointment! here are the highs and lows that I found:

Highs: amazing screen clarity! HUGE screen in fact! The icons were superb and it was actually very easy to navigate. The pictures it took were just amazing. He had one of his 3 yr old at the beach pouring sand out of her hand and it actually caught it in mid stream! it was like looking at a profesional photo! Gaming on it was very easy to work. It was just beautiful to look at.

Lows: ok...
    -HEAVY!!! that phone is huge! Granted he had a rubber case on it but even with it off...I think it weighed in at 5.7 on the small food scale I have..please don't ask why I have one of those! it's not mine!

-Battery life was horrible. we couldn't go anywhere without his car charger. Even with very minimal usage he had to charge it every 3 to 4 hours or it was flat dead.

-Connecting to the internet was not good at all. He tried for 20 min to get this You Tube vid to load with no luck at a local bar. It took my 9700 about 5 sec..

-The keyboard was just OK...I'm not a big fan of touch screens, but I've used them a lot with my work phone and this one was a little cramped compared to others.

-Call quality was poor at best. It dropped about 4 out of the 7 calls that he made one day..the speakerphone was decent, but not very loud at all. Even with the volume all the way up.

That's just my 2 cents on it. I was excited to take a look at this great device and really put it to the test...but it really was not that great. On a scale of 1 to 10 I would have to give it a 4. Took really great pics and if you're into games you can't beat it, but everything else didn't work very well on it.
    07-26-10 03:48 PM
    Of all the people (six to be exact) that I know who have EVOs, all of them just spend all day surfing the web and playing the games. They never respond to emails or text messages anymore.

I think that if you wanna surf the web, play games, take pictures then that's a perfect phone for you, or any other android phone for that matter.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-26-10 03:59 PM
    So this weekend my good friend comes to town and he has the HTC EVO so i asked if I could try it out...WOW, what a HUGE disapointment! here are the highs and lows that I found:

Highs: amazing screen clarity! HUGE screen in fact! The icons were superb and it was actually very easy to navigate. The pictures it took were just amazing. He had one of his 3 yr old at the beach pouring sand out of her hand and it actually caught it in mid stream! it was like looking at a profesional photo! Gaming on it was very easy to work. It was just beautiful to look at.

Lows: ok...
    -HEAVY!!! that phone is huge! Granted he had a rubber case on it but even with it off...I think it weighed in at 5.7 on the small food scale I have..please don't ask why I have one of those! it's not mine!

Well, it is a 4.3 inch screen so it's going to be a bit heavier than your normal BB.

-Battery life was horrible. we couldn't go anywhere without his car charger. Even with very minimal usage he had to charge it every 3 to 4 hours or it was flat dead.

Everyone should have a car charger no matter what.

-Connecting to the internet was not good at all. He tried for 20 min to get this You Tube vid to load with no luck at a local bar. It took my 9700 about 5 sec..

That's more along the lines of where the service was.

-The keyboard was just OK...I'm not a big fan of touch screens, but I've used them a lot with my work phone and this one was a little cramped compared to others.

There are a TON of different keyboards for Android.

-Call quality was poor at best. It dropped about 4 out of the 7 calls that he made one day..the speakerphone was decent, but not very loud at all. Even with the volume all the way up.

Again, depends the service and where you are. Sprint probably just isn't good where you are.
    Doesn't mean that's the case with all Evo's.

That's just my 2 cents on it. I was excited to take a look at this great device and really put it to the test...but it really was not that great. On a scale of 1 to 10 I would have to give it a 4. Took really great pics and if you're into games you can't beat it, but everything else didn't work very well on it.
    Responses in red.
    07-26-10 04:25 PM
    Of all the people (six to be exact) that I know who have EVOs, all of them just spend all day surfing the web and playing the games. They never respond to emails or text messages anymore.
    Great point. The BlackBerry is a communication tool; it connects people, brings them together. The other's just a brain-mushifier. Turns them into droids, then zombies.
    07-26-10 06:29 PM
    I played with the evo for a bit and now have a new droid x, they are so much better than my BBs ever were. (curve,storm,tour,bold) I wish I left earlier. I have always used gmail so my email is better now than on BB, along with browsing and just about everything else.

It comes down to personal preference, as you can see.
    07-26-10 07:25 PM
    Great point. The BlackBerry is a communication tool; it connects people, brings them together. The other's just a brain-mushifier. Turns them into droids, then zombies.
    I agree completely. My Tour is a communication tool. It does what a cell phone is suppose to do and it does it well. I use my phone for calls, emails, txts, and bbm. I've played with the Evo and can't deal with the touch screen, even in landscape mode I have a hard time with accuracy. I also have a question for you Evo fanboys. Have you ever had a problem with either answering or ignoring a call when pulling it out of your pocket? The Evo is an awesome device, but when it comes to doing what I need my phone to do, i.e. calls, emails, sms, and bbm, I'll keep my Tour. There is nothing on the web that can't untill I get home, and my kids have an Xbox if I feel like I need to play games.
    07-26-10 07:56 PM
    I agree completely. My Tour is a communication tool. It does what a cell phone is suppose to do and it does it well. I use my phone for calls, emails, txts, and bbm. I've played with the Evo and can't deal with the touch screen, even in landscape mode I have a hard time with accuracy. I also have a question for you Evo fanboys. Have you ever had a problem with either answering or ignoring a call when pulling it out of your pocket? The Evo is an awesome device, but when it comes to doing what I need my phone to do, i.e. calls, emails, sms, and bbm, I'll keep my Tour. There is nothing on the web that can't untill I get home, and my kids have an Xbox if I feel like I need to play games.
    That's one thing I forgot...random dialing while in your pocket. I get a call from my friend at least twice a week and all I hear is noise..
    07-26-10 08:08 PM
    Typical thinking of people defending their BB, who needs new and improved? Maybe not you but I love innovation.
    07-26-10 09:16 PM
    Typical thinking of people defending their BB, who needs new and improved? Maybe not you but I love innovation.
    I don't think my BlackBerry needs any defense. I mean, it does what it's supposed to do. It needs improvement? Really? Is "new" neccessarily improved?
    07-26-10 09:20 PM
    Don't get me wrong, I'm all for innovation. That's the reason for wanting to check out the Evo in the first place, and I'll admit that is an awesome device. The way it renders web pages and allows you to pinch to zoom and still see the whole page blew my mind. I guess it comes down to how you use you're phone and what you need it to do for you. My main use is for communicating with others not surfing the web or playing games.

07-26-10 10:04 PM
    I guess it comes down to how you use you're phone and what you need it to do for you. My main use is for communicating with others not surfing the web or playing games.

Are you under the impression that an Evo can't do phone calls, email, or text? I'm pretty sure that Evo owners do at least two of the aforementioned activities on a daily basis. Some might even do all three. I also read somewhere on the Internet that Evo can also do Facebook and twitter.
    07-26-10 10:45 PM
    Are you under the impression that an Evo can't do phone calls, email, or text?
    I'm under the impression it can't do communication (esp. email) as well as the BlackBerry. I'm also under the impression that its battery life between charges sucks.
    Last edited by T�nis; 07-26-10 at 11:11 PM.
    07-26-10 10:49 PM
    A lot of EVO fan boys in here I see...

If you guys think there are better phones and have switched, why are you still on a Blackberry forum?

...just sayin.
    07-26-10 11:01 PM
    I am under the impression that if I'm walking around with my Evo in my pocket and I receive a phone call I could either A) answer a call I wanted to ignore or B) ignore a call I wanted to answer when the touchscreen brushes against my pant pocket as I'm pulling it out.

07-26-10 11:13 PM
    I'm under the impression it can't do communication (esp. email) as well as the BlackBerry.
    In what way?

When it comes down to it, a phone call is a phone call. As long as you can hear the guy on the other side and he can hear you, it's all good. Bad reception is bad reception and Blackberries on Sprint will suffer just as much as an Evo.

Emails? As long as you get the emails you want, isn't that all you need? As long as Evo can do that, it's all good. Maybe the Blackberry can get the email a few seconds faster. If that matters a lot, I guess it could be significant. I think though, for most, it's a non-issue. Some might prefer the email presentation on an Evo over a Blackberry, especially attachments.

Text messages? Again, I'm pretty sure the Evo gets text messages fine and dandy.

The best arguments for Blackberry are basically 6.

1. It's very secure.
    2. It has a nice keyboard.
    3. Your company requires it.
    4. It's cheap.
    5. It's readily available.
    6. BBM

Other arguments about better communication and stuff don't hold water anymore because a lot of it comes down to personal preferences. Honestly, how many people in the world really need their emails within 5 seconds of it being sent, and can't wait another 5 seconds, or even 10 minutes? If it's that important, they they should call you to warn you about it.
    07-26-10 11:22 PM

If you guys think there are better phones and have switched, why are you still on a Blackberry forum?

...just sayin.
    For kicks.
    07-26-10 11:23 PM

I think that if you wanna surf the web, play games, take pictures then that's a perfect phone for you, or any other android phone for that matter.

Ignorance shining bright.
    07-27-10 05:31 AM
    Why is there so many people on here bashing blackberrys and RIM? If you switched from blackberry because of whatever reason, go to your own forums lol no one cares about how you think your android or iphone is so much better than a blackberry and how you think blackberrys have so many problems. This isnt crackdroid its crackberry.
    07-27-10 05:49 AM

...just sayin.
    Because I'm on a blackberry forum that's discussing Evo's
    07-27-10 08:47 AM
    Crackberry Has always been a site for all platforms, being that most people started their smartphone experience with the older blackberries then moved on.
    07-27-10 08:52 AM
    Moving to the Android Forum
    07-27-10 09:14 AM
    The iPhone guys are the same way, 2 of my friends with 3GS do the same thing.
    07-27-10 09:24 AM
    That's one thing I forgot...random dialing while in your pocket. I get a call from my friend at least twice a week and all I hear is noise..
    Don't understand why it's the same setup as the BBs? Screen timeout/lock push button? There is even an extra "swipe" step.

Maybe it's on the HTC devices, my DX seems impossible to do this.

User error?
    07-27-10 09:51 AM
    Don't understand why it's the same setup as the BBs? Screen timeout/lock push button? There is even an extra "swipe" step.

Maybe it's on the HTC devices, my DX seems impossible to do this.

User error?
    User error. Not the phone's fault that you don't lock it. Either a password
    or pattern choice if you want to lock the Evo.
    07-27-10 11:32 AM
    Let me try to clarify things a bit:

**Disclaimer** I know the device in question here is the EVO, & I don't have experience w/ that one. However, the misperceptions here seem to be w/ all Android devices.

1. It's nearly impossible for me to answer a call by taking the phone out of my pocket. When my phone rings, it shows who's calling & then has two options: a green circle for pick up & a red circle to end the call. I can't just tap these circles to answer, I have to put my finger on it & then swipe.

2. I have the same email accounts & the same IM clients installed on my Vibrant that I did on my BB (sans BBM, of course). I communicate w/ my friends & family just as often, and through the same avenues that I did w/ my BB (again, sans BBM - but I really only communicated w/ one real-life friend on it & the rest were friends I've made through CB & we've since started communicating via IM). I absolutely DO NOT ignore them when browsing the web, & I rarely play games on my phone.

3. Battery life, while nowhere near as awesome as the BB, doesn't seem so bad on my Vibrant. I can get a day's worth of pretty heavy use in, provided I use my car charger, but that's not so much of an inconvenience.

4. As far as I can tell, I get my emails pretty much up-to-the minute & I have 1 gmail, 2 yahoo, & 1 hotmail accounts on my phone. I greatly prefer the UI of the Android email clients, as well.

5. No need to bash people for sticking around crackberry after they get new devices. I happen to stay here because I like the community. I still frequent the ol' Sidekick forums, as well, even though I have absolutely no interest in those phones anymore.

What it all comes down to is that there are pros & cons of both BB & Android devices & it's up to the user to decide what factors they absolutely need in a handheld.
    07-27-10 11:33 AM
58 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD