Hey everyone! I am due up for an upgrade from VZW and am doing research into the Droid. Had a quick question for you Motorola Droid owners out there. Is there a way to turn off just the cell antenna and keep wifi mode on? I work in a bldg where there is no cell reseption. I want to be able to save battery life and use Wifi mode only. Is that possible?

Thanks in advance.
    11-13-09 01:52 PM
    Completely possilble.
    11-13-09 01:56 PM
    yes. however, you will only have data access with wifi. you can browse the web and send/receive emails. you will not be able to make calls or send/receive txt/mms.
    11-13-09 02:03 PM
    Thanks guys!! I am playing with my friends droid right now but can't seem to find the option? Any way you guys can tell me how?

BzB, yes that is understood... kinda sucks but at least we van get data

Thanks again guys!
    11-13-09 02:05 PM
    go to settings, wireless & networks, enable airplane mode (disables the mobile network and wifi), then enable wifi right below airplane mode (turns wifi back on). now your mobile network is off but wifi is on.
    11-13-09 02:22 PM
    go to settings, wireless & networks, enable airplane mode (disables the mobile network and wifi), then enable wifi right below airplane mode (turns wifi back on). now your mobile network is off but wifi is on.
    SWEET!!! THANKS!!! Will give this a try!
    11-13-09 02:24 PM
    It worked! Thanks again guys!
    11-13-09 03:20 PM
    It worked! Thanks again guys!
    Of course it worked!
    11-13-09 07:37 PM
    Of course it worked!
    lol if he is a former BB storm user - "working" is amazing
    11-13-09 07:46 PM
    lol if he is a former BB storm user - "working" is amazing
    ZING! LOL

The BB does receive sms/mms/email over wi-fi though.
    11-13-09 08:17 PM
    Regarding not getting voice and SMS, consider incorporating Google voice as part of your voice SMS tool.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-13-09 08:21 PM
    ZING! LOL

The BB does receive sms/mms/email over wi-fi though.
    neither the storm 2 or any phone on vzw will recieve sms/mms over wifi. both the droid and storm 2 will receive email over wifi.

Regarding not getting voice and SMS, consider incorporating Google voice as part of your voice SMS tool.

+1
    11-13-09 08:38 PM
    Sorry guys... after doing much of my research and playing with a droid... I am going to have to stick with my Storm. Thanks for all the help though!
    11-17-09 05:29 PM
    You can also hold the lock/power button to quickly bring up the menu for airplane mode, silent mode and shutting off of course...
    11-17-09 07:17 PM
    If you use SipDroid along with your own SIP trunk, you will be able to make and receive calls when in wifi only mode. BlackBerry can't do that!
    02-13-10 01:11 PM
    If you use SipDroid along with your own SIP trunk, you will be able to make and receive calls when in wifi only mode. BlackBerry can't do that!
    Not yet. Wait about a week. Vzw has a "big" announcement to make.

02-13-10 01:57 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD