Hi,

I will have the Motorola Droid in hand this Saturday October 31st - I will have a prereleased one that was given to media members.

Please submit any questions or things you would like me to test here and I will do my best to answer them. Please submit requests for pictures and what aspect of the phone you would like photographed here as well.

Edit: Please try to glance over earlier questions so that there are no duplicates. That way it'll be a little easier to run through the thread and answer each questions one by one when I get the phone. As per the person I am receiving the phone from the phone will be fully functional as Verizon provided the media with 2 months service with the mobile devices.

Thanks!
    Last edited by verse214; 10-28-09 at 06:35 PM.
    10-28-09 06:09 PM
    - Is SMS threaded? Can we see how a received text looks like and then one you compose?

- Will you be able to load up a ripped DVD or other video in .mp4 format to see how it looks?

ETA: THANKS!!
    10-28-09 06:19 PM
    I just want to know if the keyboard is any good. How tactile is the feedback, easy to press keys, or too easy to press adjacent keys to the one you want, etc.

Also, how good is the virtual keyboard in landscape and portrait mode?
    10-28-09 06:23 PM
    will I be able to use the phone in portrait or landscape for most apps. Kinda of how the storm uses it.
    10-28-09 06:27 PM
    I want the droid sound haha (you know when you go to Droid from Verizon Wireless and it says "droid").

How about the media player? I haven't seen that in videos yet.
    10-28-09 06:32 PM
    - Is the screen glass or plastic. I haven't found a definitive answer from any source. All previews and reviews say essentially "don't know yet"

- Sluggish interface, or silky smooth?

- Does it feel comfortable in the hand when using slideout keyboard?

- How well does autocorrect work?

- Is Droid touchscreen keyboard better than Storms?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by catbertz; 10-28-09 at 06:50 PM.
    10-28-09 06:48 PM
    **Browser - how does it compare to BB's? iPhone's?
    **Applications - what kind of apps do we have to start with? Is there potential for an influx of apps (ala apple and their apps store)? because the BB apps are still a bit slow and expensive.
    10-28-09 06:52 PM
    What method does the browser use to zoom in and out (pinch, tap, double tap)?

How is the call clarity in quiet and noisy environments?
    10-28-09 07:27 PM
    Guys, go to some of the Android forums and do some reading. Most of these questions are basic stuff you will find if you read a few reviews of earlier devices. Android OS is all that you would want and more. As a former RIM devotee, I'm never going back. Android is so much better. Its not close and the gap is widening.
    10-28-09 07:37 PM
    Memory... What is.. Please take a pic of the about screen for memory..how about a side by side of storm2 and Moto Droid. How does the screen feel is it like the iphone

10-28-09 07:39 PM
    Guys, go to some of the Android forums and do some reading. Most of these questions are basic stuff you will find if you read a few reviews of earlier devices. Android OS is all that you would want and more. As a former RIM devotee, I'm never going back. Android is so much better. Its not close and the gap is widening.
    I googled a few but they seemed to be just starting up. Suggest a good one?
    10-28-09 07:49 PM
    -In other videos it seemed hard keyboard needed to be used in landscape, can you get a video of it using the software keyboard loading up. If so please have the video start before the keyboard loads, it seems the only videos of it seen in landscape already have it loaded, one video the lady could not get it up...

-One video review referenced making a call not being user friendly because there are no hard keys to do this. Can you provide a video of making a call with the phone as if it were coming out of pocket, not used for a while/screen not active...also if you could just comment about how you feel about this ease of use.

-I am interested in VOIP. Can you get this to work on the phone? I have seen SIPDROID, and heard GoogleVoice can be used for this. I want to be able to make a call back to the US, when in Europe using WIFI. So I want to find out if this is possible. You can just answer this one, or a video showing using google voice to make a call to another phone, with WIFI on and network off would be even better (I know this question takes a bit more effort, but I think others would be really interested in VOIP functionality aswell).

Thanks in Advance
    10-28-09 09:06 PM
    Can you provide pictures/video of what the email app looks like tied to your gmail?
    10-28-09 09:09 PM
    Can you provide pictures/video of what the email app looks like tied to your gmail?
    Along those lines, would you mind integrating with a non-gmail mail server (hosted exchange, something like that) and let us know what sort of receive delay you have from the time the mail hits the server to the time it hits the Droid.

Thanks for offering to do this.
    10-28-09 09:12 PM
    Does it use any software to sync music?

And a video of how well the compass works would be cool.
    Last edited by tjlandberg; 10-28-09 at 09:30 PM.
    10-28-09 09:28 PM
    main and only concern is whats the battery life like on this device compared to a blackberry

10-28-09 09:48 PM
    Ill try and help with some questions as well, Ill have hands on this Friday
    10-28-09 09:56 PM
    So, I got a chance to play with the Droid Eris as well as the Droid by Motorola yesterday and I must say I think we may have a winner. Now, both devices are geared to two different audiences. I can say that the Droid Eris does have a slower speed than the Droid by Motorola. The web browsing on the Droid by Motorola is AMAZING!!!! It uses the double tap to zoom in and out while the Droid Eris uses the pinching method. I currently have the Tour and the web browsing on the Droid by Motorola is beyond AmAzInG! Everything is smooth on the the Droid by Motorola. The Droid Eris has its cool features. It has the 7 different customizable screens which is pretty cool where the Droid by Motorola only has 3.

Now as for the keyboard on the Droid by Motorola.....

It's nice. I think it was made for people like me that love touch screens but at times want to have a Qwerty keyboard. The touch screen keyboard is amazing as well. It comes down to this. If you dont want to use the Qwerty keyboard, you don't have too. The feel of the sliding up and click to make sure it's in place is really sweet.

The voice search is amazing. I only got to play with both for about 3 hours and I must say they are going to be amazing devices. You can tell once you play with both of them, they are geared towards two separate target groups. I know on Nov. 6th, I will be ordering the Droid by Motorola.

Any questions???? Go right on and ask....

PS: The apps that comes with the phone are your google apps that everyone has mentioned. I do want to mention that it seems like no one else that has either talked about the phone or used the phone in a video. You do have to set up a google account at the setup of the device. You can bypass that if you choose, but you can not use any of the google apps if you do....
    10-29-09 10:54 PM
    Android By motorola is a great phone love it, internet is FAST!!!!!!!! i mean fast. lol
    10-29-09 11:01 PM
    Android By motorola is a great phone love it, internet is FAST!!!!!!!! i mean fast. lol
    Yes......It's amazing. I did a side by side comparison with my Tour and while my Tour was still thinking about loading, the Droid by Motorola was already telling me previews for the World Series game 1 on espn.com. Not knocking blackberry at all. But, I just think this device will better suite my needs.
    10-29-09 11:23 PM
    I want to know how many simultaneous Exchange accounts you can have on the device and if you can tailor each one as to what it should or should not sync.
    10-29-09 11:32 PM
    Can u use voice activated dialing with your bluetooth; answer calls with it?
    Thanks
    10-29-09 11:34 PM
    I want to know how many simultaneous Exchange accounts you can have on the device and if you can tailor each one as to what it should or should not sync.
    Exchange accounts as far as email? If thats what your referring too, we were told there isnt a limit on how many email accounts you can add to the device.
    10-29-09 11:38 PM
    Can u use voice activated dialing with your bluetooth; answer calls with it?
    Thanks
    Not sure. Only reason why is because we didnt have one to test and didn't cross my mind to ask. But that is a great question. Now in my opinion I would probably think so only because if your connected with your blue tooth, everything goes to the headset.

Now thats just my opinion and I maybe HIGHLY wrong because I didn't test that because they didnt give us bluetooth headsets to try.
    10-29-09 11:41 PM
    Exchange accounts as far as email? If thats what your referring too, we were told there isnt a limit on how many email accounts you can add to the device.
    Yeah, but unless they were specific on saying "It'll attach to any amount of Exchange accounts", that doesn't really mean anything. Of course it can add any amount on POP3 type. I don't care about that... I care about Exchange... I need more then one attached.... as in 4. lol
    10-30-09 12:14 AM
138 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD