This phone along with the others that were announced didn't really impress me that much. Not even the dual core Bionic seemed much faster, if at all, then some current phones like the Nexus S, G2, and Droid X. Maybe it was the software not fully optimized or something but the only real differences I noticed were slightly faster browsing speeds and slightly faster loading times.
    01-08-11 10:43 AM
    I'm thinking it will be near end of the year or later before dual core optimized apps or software is ready. By that time I'm expecting the second wave of dual core phones that will really be able to take better advantage of the optimized apps and software. Main reason I'm not concerned too much with getting a single core based phone now and upgrading again at the end of the year.
    True, but you never know at this point. There could be tons of dual core apps about to be released now. Plus, TegraZone is already on the way. Nvidia is promising 5-10 games at launch and they are really pushing Gameloft.

Nvidia announces 'TegraZone' game store for Tegra-powered Android phones | Android Central

I know the other devices will still be great. I personally just can't buy a single core device when I know better options are available.
    01-08-11 10:45 AM
    Any one seen the "tegra zone" I guess some kick assimilation games are lining up for the release of these duel core devices.
    01-08-11 10:47 AM
    This phone along with the others that were announced didn't really impress me that much. Not even the dual core Bionic seemed much faster, if at all, then some current phones like the Nexus S, G2, and Droid X. Maybe it was the software not fully optimized or something but the only real differences I noticed were slightly faster browsing speeds and slightly faster loading times.
    The software wasn't fully optimized. I believe a few blogs said it was still buggy. You will notice the difference with apps and games that require the extra performance. Tegra 2 is DEFINITELY faster and more powerful than ANY single core processor currently being deployed in an Android device.
    01-08-11 10:50 AM
    The software wasn't fully optimized. I believe a few blogs said it was still buggy. You will notice the difference with apps and games that require the extra performance. Tegra 2 is DEFINITELY faster and more powerful than ANY single core processor currently being deployed in an Android device.
    Yeah that's what I saw from reviewers too. But the Bionic was still running 2.2 and even with the dual core processor, it was laggy in comparison to the Thunderbolt. I think that's due to Blur but that just goes to show that you don't need these crazy dual core processors to make the phones perform well. Even my friend's Incredible that he's had for months seems more responsive than the Bionic. I'd say it's the Blur slowing down that phone more than the software not being optimized. I noticed the same thing from when I first got a Droid X on launch to when I starting putting custom ROMs on it. Blur is just an intrusive hog IMO.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-08-11 11:05 AM
    Yeah that's what I saw from reviewers too. But the Bionic was still running 2.2 and even with the dual core processor, it was laggy in comparison to the Thunderbolt. I think that's due to Blur but that just goes to show that you don't need these crazy dual core processors to make the phones perform well. Even my friend's Incredible that he's had for months seems more responsive than the Bionic. I'd say it's the Blur slowing down that phone more than the software not being optimized. I noticed the same thing from when I first got a Droid X on launch to when I starting putting custom ROMs on it. Blur is just an intrusive hog IMO.

Would you link me to that video? I would like to see.
    01-08-11 11:22 AM
    True, but you never know at this point. There could be tons of dual core apps about to be released now. Plus, TegraZone is already on the way. Nvidia is promising 5-10 games at launch and they are really pushing Gameloft.

Nvidia announces 'TegraZone' game store for Tegra-powered Android phones | Android Central

I know the other devices will still be great. I personally just can't buy a single core device when I know better options are available.
    There may be a slow move to dual core optimized apps and software since the large majority of Android phones on the market will still be single core based. I could be wrong about that if those apps are also coded to be used with single core phones as well. Something tells me devs won't necessarily be looking to code for two different processor architectures though...

Seems like games will be the first frontier to take advantage of dual core. I'm sure there will be some awesome games for those with dual cores. If I do end up with the TB or some other single core phone, as long as angry birds and robodefense are available I'll be ok until the next wave of dual cores.

I can definitely understand going with the best available hardware at the moment when the first dual cores come out. The appeal and potential benefit cannot be denied. I may find myself being envious, but at least it wouldn't be for long.
    01-08-11 11:28 AM

Yes blame Blur and unoptimized software. My X didn't lag on release. It has never lagged really. You don't need dual core to have Android run smoothly. You need dual core for graphic intensive apps and others that need the extra horse power.

When it comes to power, absolutely no other VZW device will compare besides the Xoom tablet.

The Incredible is NOT more responsive than the Bionic. You are talking about a device that has had mad updates compared to a device that isn't even released yet. The Bionic will be the best dual core device on VZW until the next one is announced. Samsung is announcing dual core devices at MWC, although I don't really trust samsung when it comes to updates, the hardware will be suik though.
    01-08-11 11:28 AM
    There may be a slow move to dual core optimized apps and software since the large majority of Android phones on the market will still be single core based. I could be wrong about that if those apps are also coded to be used with single core phones as well. Something tells me devs won't necessarily be looking to code for two different processor architectures though...

Seems like games will be the first frontier to take advantage of dual core. I'm sure there will be some awesome games for those with dual cores. If I do end up with the TB or some other single core phone, as long as angry birds and robodefense are available I'll be ok until the next wave of dual cores.

I can definitely understand going with the best available hardware at the moment when the first dual cores come out. The appeal and potential benefit cannot be denied. I may find myself being envious, but at least it wouldn't be for long.
    Yea. I figure by the time I upgrade next, the third or fourth generation of dual core device will be out and they will be much more optimized.

I definitely know the hacking community will be taking advantage of dual core.
    01-08-11 11:30 AM
    Would you link me to that video? I would like to see.
    01-08-11 11:34 AM
    Never owning an android device, it's pretty hard to know which phone to pick up! I just want a fast phone with decent battery life! So from what I have checked out it sure seems the Bionic is the way to go! I just need to stop reading all the negative threads about moto blur! I am sure someone like me coming from a BB would not know the difference? Either way I am looking forward to the switch!
    01-08-11 11:37 AM
    Never owning an android device, it's pretty hard to know which phone to pick up! I just want a fast phone with decent battery life! So from what I have checked out it sure seems the Bionic is the way to go! I just need to stop reading all the negative threads about moto blur! I am sure someone like me coming from a BB would not know the difference? Either way I am looking forward to the switch!
    If you find Blur to be annoying, just download LauncherPro or ADW ad that should get rid of any "lag". This device has more than enough RAM and processing power to all the Blur services. If you still can't deal with Blur after that, root and install a custom ROM when they come out.
    jebulls likes this.
    01-08-11 11:42 AM
    Yes blame Blur and unoptimized software. My X didn't lag on release. It has never lagged really. You don't need dual core to have Android run smoothly. You need dual core for graphic intensive apps and others that need the extra horse power.

When it comes to power, absolutely no other VZW device will compare besides the Xoom tablet.

The Incredible is NOT more responsive than the Bionic. You are talking about a device that has had mad updates compared to a device that isn't even released yet. The Bionic will be the best dual core device on VZW until the next one is announced. Samsung is announcing dual core devices at MWC, although I don't really trust samsung when it comes to updates, the hardware will be suik though.
    I'm blaming Blur mostly because the Bionic is running 2.2.1 which is an updated version to 2.2. Even this early, the hardware should be more than enough to make the phone operate smoothly. In that video I just posted, the Bionic looks as responsive as a Droid 1.

Now my Droid X performed the exact same way as the Bionic did in that video when I left everything stock (no changing of launchers or hacking). So it's definitely Blur slowing the phone down. Seems that Blur is such a heavily intrusive UI that not even dual core processors combined with 1GB of RAM (Atrix) can make it much responsive.

But of course this can all be fixed with custom ROMs and 3rd party launchers.

01-08-11 11:49 AM
    Thanks man. I knew something was up. I have checked about 20 other videos and none of them operate like that one in that video. I knew right of the bat that dude was trying his hardest to flunk it. That will always be the case. I can assure you once this phone is in the consumers hand it will scream.

Most videos I watched show the blur launcher smooth like this. I am going to go with the masses on this one.
    jebulls likes this.
    01-08-11 11:54 AM
    I'm blaming Blur mostly because the Bionic is running 2.2.1 which is an updated version to 2.2. Even this early, the hardware should be more than enough to make the phone operate smoothly. In that video I just posted, the Bionic looks as responsive as a Droid 1.

Now my Droid X performed the exact same way as the Bionic did in that video when I left everything stock (no changing of launchers or hacking). So it's definitely Blur slowing the phone down. Seems that Blur is such a heavily intrusive UI that not even dual core processors combined with 1GB of RAM (Atrix) can make it much responsive.

But of course this can all be fixed with custom ROMs and 3rd party launchers.

Some devices respond differently I guess. The videos I saw showed the Bionic lag randomly but only once or twice. Like I said, Blur never lagged on my DX since release day.

If it really becomes a problem, just install a launcher. Moto isn't known for the software, they are known for their battery management, radios and over all being well rounded devices. Not to mention build quality.

Sense may run smother than Blur, but when it comes to performance the Bionic will ****t on the Thunderbolt.
    01-08-11 11:58 AM
    If you find Blur to be annoying, just download LauncherPro or ADW ad that should get rid of any "lag". This device has more than enough RAM and processing power to all the Blur services. If you still can't deal with Blur after that, root and install a custom ROM when they come out.
    I am sure coming from BB I won't have much to complain about....I like the idea of a 1930 mah batt!
    01-08-11 11:58 AM
    wow, I can't believe how slow this phone is. I hope its okay by the time its released
    01-08-11 12:00 PM
    Thanks man. I knew something was up. I have checked about 20 other videos and none of them operate like that one in that video. I knew right of the bat that dude was trying his hardest to flunk it. That will always be the case. I can assure you once this phone is in the consumers hand it will scream.

Most videos I watched show the blur launcher smooth like this. I am going to go with the masses on this one.
    Exactly. I haven't seen one video besides the other one that made the device lag.
    01-08-11 12:00 PM
    wow, I can't believe how slow this phone is. I hope its okay by the time its released
    Check out the other videos. 99% of the videos show the device running great.
    01-08-11 12:01 PM

Yeah that one does look much better. I don't think the guy in my video was trying to flunk it as he mentioned someone had already used the phone before he did. So that person probably had a lot of programs loaded up and running in the background which made the phone really choppy. That's actually something I've noticed on both my Droid and Droid X when I had them. I prefer the way the iPhone multitasks because performance isn't hindered by it.

01-08-11 12:01 PM
    I prefer the way the iPhone multitasks because performance isn't hindered by it.

Because it doesn't fully multitask. Think of all the widgets you can run on Android and run anything you want in the background. You may lose some performance but you gain more functionality.
    01-08-11 12:04 PM
    I am sure coming from BB I won't have much to complain about....I like the idea of a 1930 mah batt!
    Yea it is packing some serious battery power.
    01-08-11 12:05 PM
    Yeah that one does look much better. I don't think the guy in my video was trying to flunk it as he mentioned someone had already used the phone before he did. So that person probably had a lot of programs loaded up and running in the background which made the phone really choppy. That's actually something I've noticed on both my Droid and Droid X when I had them. I prefer the way the iPhone multitasks because performance isn't hindered by it.

He was. He went right to slamming the RAM. He forgot to mention it is DDR2, and that is a kicks *** amount of RAM at DDR2 is on a phone that will NEVER run a laptop like the Apex will, in a sense. I didn't count how many times he said buggy, but whatever, all those phones aren't even phones yet. They are just props for CES. I guess that is why that video isn't being watched at only 30 views. Yup, he a hater

It happens with every new release. It will be represented, or misrepresented, good or bad. To debate the "speed" "functionality" "hardware" on a day to day use isn't possible yet, so I know we aren't headed that way NOW.

Blur on the X is fast. Real fast, no it is not smooth, but fast as any other UI, it is. When people say blur is buggy, they are referring to pre 2.2 generally. Is blur a sexy UI? No, it is not. But it is getting better, and most consumers will find it a pleasant experience with all that support from Nvidia and Motorola. Watch out son, this phone is going to make yours (and mine) bow down in inferiority
    01-08-11 12:11 PM
    It isn't a phone in the video, it is a prop for CES.

This has been Paul Harvey, and that is "the rest of the story"
    01-08-11 12:20 PM
    Exactly. I haven't seen one video besides the other one that made the device lag.
    The thing is AVT, they are all props. They aren't optimized (like you say) and they aren't up for reviews. People reviewing the phone as a phone while it is a prop look like kids that just don't get it, ROL!. It isn't official, it isn't running official software, and it is a prop. We all have to wait and see, but I have a feeling that it will scream. The direct HDMI out that will put whatever is on the phone on a big screen is a huge selling point to me. I am so not differed by comments on how slow, or whatever. The real story will unfold and we WILL see
    01-08-11 12:24 PM
165 ... 34567
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD