Hi all,

my dad is looking to upgrade to an email/web device for work.
    He was comparing the droid with the palm pre..

he likes that the palms keyboard doesnt seem to be crammed..

which would be a better device for
    1. stability
    2. email
    3. web
    4. and just downloading and using apps?

they both run linux, right?

I use a droid and he likes it, but ive had some issues with it and needed to have it replaced twice..

i dont think he can afford to have much downtime with exchanging phones or what not due to email, and i dont think he likes black berries for whatever reason..

any suggestions?
    01-28-10 09:54 AM
    Hmm, I hate to state the obvious, but sounds like your dad should probably just get a blackberry.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-28-10 10:06 AM
    true, but he doesnt like blackberries.. not sure why..if he doesnt get a bb, what of the other two is a better option?
    01-28-10 11:15 AM
    1. stability- Toss-UP. Both are stable and aren't as crash or battery pull happy as blackberries.

2. email- using Gmail: Droid; Exchange: Pre Plus, better default layout and allows searching the GAL.

3. web- Both are web-kit based and offer a great browsing experience. Pre Plus has native pinch-zoom in the browser and gallery whereas the Droid needs 3rd party apps. I noticed a checkerboard pattern when quickly scrolling on the Pre. Edge goes to the Droid based on screen size/resolution.

4. and just downloading and using apps?
    The android market has tons of great apps while the Palm App catalog is a little lacking. Apps are a little more sluggish opening on the Pre Plus but offers great multitasking abilities.

Other things you may want to consider are battery life. How much would he be using the phone? From reports and my experience with the Pre, the Droid wins hands down. The keyboard on the Droid is free sliding and clicks into place while the Pre Plus is spring loaded. Doesn't take much to open or close on the Pre but it feels cheap and unreliable.
    01-28-10 01:11 PM
    I like my DROID more so than my Pre.

Zero to no lag time on the Droid, and better battery life.

But the Pre still kicks megaarse
    Last edited by xxxxpradaxxxx; 01-28-10 at 01:40 PM.
    01-28-10 01:37 PM
    he likes that the palms keyboard doesnt seem to be crammed..
    wat? take him to the vzw store and ask him to try that out again...
    01-28-10 01:41 PM
    /agreed

The Pres keyboard is AWFUL.

Although the Pre Plus, has a clickier, improved keyboard.
    01-28-10 01:45 PM
    I love android.

Quite plain and simple!

And email- I just don't understand why people haven't caught on to Touchdown. Its available from the market. And personally, it rapes BB email.

I am not anti blackberry or anything... loved my BB's. Times have changed. BB will come back. Just not now. lol
    01-28-10 11:14 PM
    Either way, it seems like he is going to have a really nice phone. I have had my hands on both devices many times, but the two devices are just about even. I think that I would give the edge to the Pre, it seems a little more refined, but the two devices are very much even.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-28-10 11:50 PM
    Luv these little battles. I kinda like the pre plus, but the android market puts palm in the hooka, then vaporizes the pixi......B).....
    01-29-10 12:35 AM
    webOS is more user friendly and awesome.

Android OS is more open, which is great for geeks but not so user friendly as webOS or Iphone OS.

It all comes down to what type of user your father is. If webOS was open source and the Palm Pre Plus came with a bigger screen I would have gotten that instead. Very nice phone just not what was best for me at the moment. I am very interested how other companies are going to respond to Google's Android OS. With open source there is almost no limits to what we can do to ours phones.
    01-29-10 03:18 AM
    well dad likes something that is easy to use,so user friendly is key..
    I told him either would probably be nice to have..

are the droid and pre plus (verizon has the updated one, doesnt it?) are neck and neck as far as cpu ? does the pre plus have the 3d acclerator too?

I told him that both the droid and the palm pre plus are essentially similar devices with similar hardware under the hood and both have a nice, quick and stable os..

am I accurate?
    01-29-10 12:39 PM
    my dad used to use the good ol treo 600 and 700wx and before that the palm handhelds back when they were just organizers
    01-29-10 12:40 PM
    I use the Droid Eris, so I will say that Android is an amazing platform, and definitely has plenty of apps available. I have had no problems with e-mail, and it sounds like people really have praise for that exchange program. Based on looks alone, I'd go with the Pre Plus, but I think the Droid, even though I think it's hideous (hahah), is probably going to better to use in terms of apps and whatnot.
    01-29-10 08:40 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD