Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Tre Lawrence
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    5,421 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Question Looking for some specific app suggestions

***I'm posting this in CB's Android sub-forum (and not AC) because I expect forum users here to be more familiar with the BB apps I need replacements for. ***

Please suggest some equivalent Android apps for the following BB apps. In suggesting apps, please bear in mind:

1. The app must work on WiFi. Mobile data support's great, but WiFi is a must
    2. I prefer 'first party' over third party apps
    3. I have a Galaxy S3 SGH-T999v
    4. Free is better, but not absolutely necessary

Here are the apps/functions I'm interested in. For some third party BB apps, I've added links to App World.

1. Podcasting: I need an app that automatically, upon release, downloads podcasts to microSD storage. I don't need a big ol' library, just a manual search-by-URL feature. Podkicker Lite

2. Password keeper/manager: An app that allows me to store user names and passwords on my phone. I don't really need this app to suggest or auto-populate user names and password--I'm ok with manually opening the app every time I need to get a user name and password. A 'first party' app would be great here. KeePassDroid

3. Sound profiles manager: Something that lets me do more with sound profiles than just mute-vibrate-on. I'm looking to combine two functions: custom profile creation, and what Profile Assist does--automatically change profiles based upon certain conditions. Llama

4. A remote locator/device wipe app a la BB Protect. Again, a 'first party' app, if it exists, would be great. Avast...I guess.

5. A Drivesafe.ly equivalent (for emails only) : From reading the Play store reviews, it looks like the Android version doesn't seem to be as well designed as its BB equivalent, plus it uses data to generate the readings? Please let me know if there are any better alternatives out there.

6. Tasks app: An app that allows for recurrent task generation and notifications. Calendar integration would be great, but not necessary.
    Astrid
    The follow are not absolute essentials, but would be great to have:

7. Connected call indicator, like Vibrate on Connect for BBs. I may have found this built in the OS!

8. Backlight timer modifier: An app like Leave it On, which makes the screen light upon and provides notifications of incoming messages.

9. A BB Travel equivalent which keeps track of itineraries, has a built-in world clock and currency converter. Native clock and XE app, respectively. Tried Tripit lite, not impressed.

Thanks for any suggestions.
    Last edited by raino; 09-14-2013 at 01:48 AM.
    Models and Supported Frequencies: Z10, Q10, Q5, Z30

Want to find out which radio band your BB10 phone is currently on? UMTS, LTE (careful with escreens!)
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,704 Global Posts
    PIN
    Temporarily sans BB

My personal apps of choice...

1. BeyondPod
    2. mSecurue (yeah it's a paid app, but I like it)
    3. LLama - So many features, it's crazy and may be a bit daunting at first, but incredible.
    4. Lookout - Don't really use it myself, but I know most people swear by it.
    5. Sorry, can't help ya here. I've just never tried.
    6. Tasks - Yep that's the name...Tasks. There are many task apps out there though. You may have to experiment until you find one suitable to your preferences. I've also heard good things about Any.DO
    7. N/A
    8. Most apps that would benefit from Leave It On usually have a setting within the app itself
    9. I use a combination of specific apps for travel. Tripit for itinerary etc.. and convertPad for currency conversions. Maybe somebody else can recommend a better do-it-all app.
    Last edited by DenverRalphy; 12-25-2012 at 09:15 AM.
    Thanked by:
    raino (12-25-2012) 

Global Posts
    5,421 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

Thanks. I will check them out. I downloaded the free version of Tasks and maybe I'm missing something, but it doesn't let you create recurring tasks? Most of mine are tasks that I need regenerated every month.

Want to find out which radio band your BB10 phone is currently on? UMTS, LTE (careful with escreens!)
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    658 Global Posts

#3: Slider Widget. I really like this one. It has a very simple widget you can add to your screen.
    #6: Google Tasks Organizer. This is the one that I always fall back on despite trying out a bunch of others.

I don't have any other recommendations for anything else as I don't have a need for any of those.
    Thanked by:
    raino (01-02-2013) 

Global Posts
    5,421 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  

Thanks for the suggestions. GTO does say it lets you do recurring tasks, which is great. Slider Widget doesn't seem to have the automatic profile changer feature, but I like the idea of being able to control screen brightness from a widget, so I'll download it just for that!

Between Realities

Global Posts
    11,666 Global Posts

Tasks: DGT.
    Passwords: DataVault or mSecure.
    Thanked by:
    raino (01-02-2013) 
    raino likes this.

Global Posts
    5,421 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #7  

Quote Originally Posted by trelawrence View Post
    Tasks: DGT.
    YES!! We have a winner!

What I could not find in Tasks or GTO was the recurrence flexibility DGT offers. Thank you for this suggestion.

Between Realities

Global Posts
    11,666 Global Posts

Default Re: Looking for some specific app suggestions

Quote Originally Posted by raino View Post
    YES!! We have a winner!

What I could not find in Tasks or GTO was the recurrence flexibility DGT offers. Thank you for this suggestion.
    One of my favorite apps. It's my privilege to share.

Global Posts
    5,421 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #9  

Any suggestions for #5, #8, and a Newsstand equivalent where I can import an existing newspaper subscription (basically, GP Magazines for newspapers?)

CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,812 Global Posts
    PIN
    Ask

#3 - Profile Manager in the Play Store. https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...profiler&hl=en

Free, and the closest thing that I could find to being on a BB. The vibrate doesn't seem to always work, so I am not sure that this will work for you. I use it almost solely for the Phone Only profile that I grew to love on BB. And yes, you can create custom profiles, and change the icon for each profile. It is one of my must have apps on my Galaxy S3.
    Current device: Back In Black BlackBerry Q10 10.2.1.2102

BlackBerry history:
    Verizon: 8130, 8830, 8330, 9630, 9530, 9550, 9650, 9930, Q10
    AT&T: 9700, 9800
    PlayBook

Global Posts
    5,421 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #11  

Quote Originally Posted by Heavy Fluid View Post
    #3 - Profile Manager in the Play Store. https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...profiler&hl=en

Free, and the closest thing that I could find to being on a BB. The vibrate doesn't seem to always work, so I am not sure that this work for you. I use it almost solely for the Phone Only profile that I grew to love on BB. And yes, you can create custom profiles, and change the icon for each profile. It is one of my must have apps on my Galaxy S3.
    I'm trying to recreate the "phone calls only" profile where you can set all alerts except the phone ringer off. I have Llama, and whenever I try to set different ringer levels for phone calls and other alerts (i.e. >0 and 0, respectively,) it informs me that this is not possible in Android and redirects me here.

Are you saying that Profile Manager allows you to do this?

CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,812 Global Posts
    PIN
    Ask

I have Phone Only set for just that, only the phone rings. Everything else is silent. You set it up in the app. Just like BB goodness!

BlackBerry history:
    PlayBook

Global Posts
    5,421 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #13  

I have Phone Only set for just that, only the phone rings. Everything else is silent. You set it up in the app. Just like BB goodness!
    Are you running the stock ROM?

CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,812 Global Posts
    PIN
    Ask

Are you running the stock ROM?
    I am running the stock ROM. The only thing I am using is Apex Launcher Pro.

BlackBerry history:
    PlayBook

Global Posts
    5,421 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #15  

I am running the stock ROM. The only thing I am using is Apex Launcher Pro.
    Thanks, I tried it. While it does work, it doesn't suppress all vibrate alerts. I was testing K-9, and its vibrate alerts did not get suppressed. Also, I didn't see an option to automate the profile change (say, at 11:00PM every night.)

I will email Llama's dev though, since he out and out claims that different ringer levels are not possible, while this app shows it is.

CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,812 Global Posts
    PIN
    Ask

Thanks, I tried it. While it does work, it doesn't suppress all vibrate alerts. I was testing K-9, and its vibrate alerts did not get suppressed. Also, I didn't see an option to automate the profile change (say, at 11:00PM every night.)

I will email Llama's dev though, since he out and out claims that different ringer levels are not possible, while this app shows it is.
    What profile did you create and edit to not have all alerts disabled? I can't find a single alert on my device that will come through when Phone Only is selected.

BlackBerry history:
    PlayBook

Global Posts
    5,421 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #17  

What profile did you create and edit to not have all alerts disabled? I can't find a single alert on my device that will come through when Phone Only is selected.
    I modified the Office profile.

CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,812 Global Posts
    PIN
    Ask

I modified the Office profile.
    I deleted all of the default, and created my own. Maybe give that a shot?

BlackBerry history:
    PlayBook

Global Posts
    5,421 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #19  

I deleted all of the default, and created my own. Maybe give that a shot?
    Yes, I will. But do you have to actively switch profiles, or can you somehow automate "switch to PCO at 10pm for the next 8 hours?"

Edit: so I don't want to have to manually remember to switch each night before going to bed. If this app could take care of that, it would be great. Also, I didn't see it allowing me to set it for longer than 1 hour (I see "custom" and an "at time" options, but I don't think they would allow me to set a duration?)
    Last edited by raino; 09-16-2013 at 12:20 PM.

CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,812 Global Posts
    PIN
    Ask

Yes, I will. But do you have to actively switch profiles, or can you somehow automate "switch to PCO at 10pm for the next 8 hours?"

Edit: so I don't want to have to manually remember to switch each night before going to bed. If this app could take care of that, it would be great. Also, I didn't see it allowing me to set it for longer than 1 hour (I see "custom" and an "at time" options, but I don't think they would allow me to set a duration?)
    I don't know if it will change on its own, but within the profiles, and I dug a little, it looks like you can set the time that you want it to change. You can also set it for a custom time. You would need to play around with it to see if it will work. So far, the app has been flawless for me, and is the closest thing that I can find to the actual Profiles on BB.

BlackBerry history:
    PlayBook

Global Posts
    5,421 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #21  

I don't know if it will change on its own, but within the profiles, and I dug a little, it looks like you can set the time that you want it to change. You can also set it for a custom time. You would need to play around with it to see if it will work. So far, the app has been flawless for me, and is the closest thing that I can find to the actual Profiles on BB.
    I checked, and it doesn't automatically switch, nor could I find a way to set it for a >1 hour duration

However...Llama actually works! I just needed to ignore the cautionary errors it gives me. I'll still need to monitor it a bit, because yesterday it wasn't stopping K-9 and ScoreMobile alerts' vibrations, but I think today it is.