Looking for some specific app suggestions
***I'm posting this in CB's Android sub-forum (and not AC) because I expect forum users here to be more familiar with the BB apps I need replacements for. ***
Please suggest some equivalent Android apps for the following BB apps. In suggesting apps, please bear in mind:
1. The app must work on WiFi. Mobile data support's great, but WiFi is a must
2. I prefer 'first party' over third party apps
3. I have a Galaxy S3 SGH-T999v
4. Free is better, but not absolutely necessary
Here are the apps/functions I'm interested in. For some third party BB apps, I've added links to App World.
Podcasting: I need an app that automatically, upon release, downloads podcasts to microSD storage. I don't need a big ol' library, just a manual search-by-URL feature.Podkicker Lite
Password keeper/manager: An app that allows me to store user names and passwords on my phone. I don't really need this app to suggest or auto-populate user names and password--I'm ok with manually opening the app every time I need to get a user name and password. A 'first party' app would be great here.KeePassDroid
Sound profiles manager: Something that lets me do more with sound profiles than just mute-vibrate-on. I'm looking to combine two functions: custom profile creation, and what Profile Assist does--automatically change profiles based upon certain conditions.Llama
A remote locator/device wipe app a la BB Protect. Again, a 'first party' app, if it exists, would be great.Avast...I guess.
5. A Drivesafe.ly equivalent (for emails only) : From reading the Play store reviews, it looks like the Android version doesn't seem to be as well designed as its BB equivalent, plus it uses data to generate the readings? Please let me know if there are any better alternatives out there.
Tasks app: An app that allows for recurrent task generation and notifications. Calendar integration would be great, but not necessary.Astrid
The follow are not absolute essentials, but would be great to have:
7. Connected call indicator, like Vibrate on Connect for BBs.I may have found this built in the OS!
8. Backlight timer modifier: An app like Leave it On, which makes the screen light upon and provides notifications of incoming messages.
9. A BB Travel equivalent which keeps track of itineraries,
has a built-in world clock and currency converter. Native clock and XE app, respectively. Tried Tripit lite, not impressed.
Thanks for any suggestions.
Last edited by raino; 09-14-13 at 02:48 AM.
- 12-25-12, 09:52 AM #2
My personal apps of choice...
- mSecurue (yeah it's a paid app, but I like it)
- LLama - So many features, it's crazy and may be a bit daunting at first, but incredible.
- Lookout - Don't really use it myself, but I know most people swear by it.
- Sorry, can't help ya here. I've just never tried.
- Tasks - Yep that's the name...Tasks. There are many task apps out there though. You may have to experiment until you find one suitable to your preferences. I've also heard good things about Any.DO
- Most apps that would benefit from Leave It On usually have a setting within the app itself
- I use a combination of specific apps for travel. Tripit for itinerary etc.. and convertPad for currency conversions. Maybe somebody else can recommend a better do-it-all app.
Last edited by DenverRalphy; 12-25-12 at 10:15 AM.
Thanks. I will check them out. I downloaded the free version of Tasks and maybe I'm missing something, but it doesn't let you create recurring tasks? Most of mine are tasks that I need regenerated every month.
- 01-01-13, 11:29 AM #4
#3: Slider Widget. I really like this one. It has a very simple widget you can add to your screen.
#6: Google Tasks Organizer. This is the one that I always fall back on despite trying out a bunch of others.
I don't have any other recommendations for anything else as I don't have a need for any of those.
Thanks for the suggestions. GTO does say it lets you do recurring tasks, which is great. Slider Widget doesn't seem to have the automatic profile changer feature, but I like the idea of being able to control screen brightness from a widget, so I'll download it just for that!
- 09-14-13, 02:29 AM #10
#3 - Profile Manager in the Play Store. https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...profiler&hl=en
Free, and the closest thing that I could find to being on a BB. The vibrate doesn't seem to always work, so I am not sure that this will work for you. I use it almost solely for the Phone Only profile that I grew to love on BB. And yes, you can create custom profiles, and change the icon for each profile. It is one of my must have apps on my Galaxy S3.
Are you saying that Profile Manager allows you to do this?
I will email Llama's dev though, since he out and out claims that different ringer levels are not possible, while this app shows it is.
Edit: so I don't want to have to manually remember to switch each night before going to bed. If this app could take care of that, it would be great. Also, I didn't see it allowing me to set it for longer than 1 hour (I see "custom" and an "at time" options, but I don't think they would allow me to set a duration?)
Last edited by raino; 09-16-13 at 01:20 PM.
- 09-17-13, 02:01 AM #20
However...Llama actually works! I just needed to ignore the cautionary errors it gives me. I'll still need to monitor it a bit, because yesterday it wasn't stopping K-9 and ScoreMobile alerts' vibrations, but I think today it is.
- By jkrc717 in forum General BlackBerry DiscussionReplies: 2Last Post: 07-17-12, 08:14 AM
- By AirSTEPH in forum BlackBerry Curve 8350iReplies: 8Last Post: 10-07-09, 05:07 PM
- By AirSTEPH in forum BlackBerry OS AppsReplies: 8Last Post: 10-07-09, 05:07 PM
- By morfy50 in forum BlackBerry OS AppsReplies: 0Last Post: 04-30-09, 09:52 PM
- By Chattownballer in forum BlackBerry Pearl 81xxReplies: 4Last Post: 06-11-08, 01:20 PM