I made the switch from BB to Android about 6 months ago. Best decision ever. Give yourself about a week on your new phone before you decide if you've made an error after you switch. If you absolutely must have a physical keyboard stay with BB. I've never understood the love affair with the keyboard myself. Those little keys and the small screen just did not do it for me. Once you get your email converted to gmail you will be good to go. That takes a bit to get use to also.
    03-18-12 10:01 PM
    Android is Smooth?

Anyways. I would move on to an iPhone if you are looking for OS Smoothness.

Then again.. Androids can tether for free after rooting.
    My galaxy note is running smoothly, plus with gingerbread I can tether without rooting......
    03-26-12 02:44 PM
    Very true about being bulky but I went and bought another G2 long after I sold my original one because it had a great keyboard, LED notification and a trackpad. I just couldn't find that in any other Android. It is my favorite Android to this day, I use it more than my Sensation or Galaxy.
    G2 was my first Android phone. I loved it. I now am on VZW to save money cause I'm back on a family plan, but I really, really miss having the G2. Great keyboard and vanilla Android.

Sent from my VZW Thunderbolt.
    03-27-12 09:36 AM
    Thats one of my reservation, I've texted and send emails with touch screen and It gets frustrating! However now that i get more practice with swiftkey i'm slowly habituating. So the transition wouldn't be so bad
    IMHO: If you really wanted to switch phones...You would have done it already. End of story!
    03-27-12 02:00 PM
    One question... Does the android platform and apps on it on average use more data allowance than bb ???

--------------------------------

"...The Lord Painted The Great Picture Of The World.. Forget This Picture, And Remember The One Painter..."
    03-29-12 11:24 AM
    One question... Does the android platform and apps on it on average use more data allowance than bb ???

"...The Lord Painted The Great Picture Of The World.. Forget This Picture, And Remember The One Painter..."
    Yes. BB data is mostly compressed. Android data is not compressed at all unless you use certain apps.
    03-29-12 11:52 AM
    Yes. BB data is mostly compressed. Android data is not compressed at all unless you use certain apps.

Is it a lot of difference compared to bb tho... I currently have 100mb on my bb and struggle to get through 5mb a month...just wondering if I might have to change my plan..also Does connecting to wifi on android save data right ??

03-29-12 11:58 AM
    Is it a lot of difference compared to bb tho... I currently have 100mb on my bb and struggle to get through 5mb a month...just wondering if I might have to change my plan..also Does connecting to wifi on android save data right ??

It is a lot different. There is no way you will stay under 5mb. Personally, there is no way I would be able to stay under 100mb either. I use about 1-2.5GB a month and I have unlimited data.

Wifi does save data costs. When Wifi is on and connected, the cell radio uses no data and it also helps to increase battery life (WiFi antenna uses less juice than a cell antenna).
    03-29-12 01:09 PM
    It is a lot different. There is no way you will stay under 5mb. Personally, there is no way I would be able to stay under 100mb either. I use about 1-2.5GB a month and I have unlimited data.

Wifi does save data costs. When Wifi is on and connected, the cell radio uses no data and it also helps to increase battery life (WiFi antenna uses less juice than a cell antenna).

Oh you serious ... Man that's a lot... It can't be that compressed compared to android... Will it be that much even if I just use it for emails and whatsapp mostly ??

03-29-12 02:45 PM
    Email images auto downloading + Google services sync + other stuff... My friend who is on wifi 99% of the time still breaks 200mb
    03-30-12 01:39 AM
    People stop obsessing over the thread location it is fixed now. So looks like if I stay with BB, the 9900 is a prime choice, but if I switch to Android, better wait for the Galaxy s3. Is the browser on the 9900 comparable to that of Android or iphone?

I tested the browser in my 9930 vs a coworker's android browser (gingerbread). No noticeable difference in load times on 3g and the rendering was identical.

So yes, the Os7 browser is perfectly modern and quite fine.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9850 using Tapatalk
    03-30-12 04:30 AM
    Email images auto downloading + Google services sync + other stuff... My friend who is on wifi 99% of the time still breaks 200mb

Yeh I defo need to up my plan then to atleast 500 mb

03-30-12 08:07 AM
    I bought an HTC 3D in early Feb. It was highly recommended by the sales rep. Unfortunately he failed to tell me that many of this model shut off when it reaches 99*. The phone would literally reboot over and over all day long. Can't Keep it in your shirt pocket. When I took it back the head of the reapair dept. told me that if I was going to own an Android I should expect to reboot it once or more per day. Personally I think that in this day and age that is totally unacceptable. I have had my BB sconce Jan 20th and have not had to reboot once. I haven't even turned it off. It also REQUIRED me to have a Gmail account. Their new privacy policy should be enough to send you screaming. Although I must admit the amount of available apps almost tempted me away from my Playbook purchase.
    I don't know who told you that, but they are full of it. I have had three Android phones starting with the original Droid, Droid X and my Galaxy Nexus.
    None of them had that problem.
    03-30-12 10:54 AM
    I tested the browser in my 9930 vs a coworker's android browser (gingerbread). No noticeable difference in load times on 3g and the rendering was identical.

So yes, the Os7 browser is perfectly modern and quite fine.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9850 using Tapatalk
    Gingerbread is old Android. I don't think you want to play with my Nexus on 4G.
    03-30-12 10:57 AM
    Oh you serious ... Man that's a lot... It can't be that compressed compared to android... Will it be that much even if I just use it for emails and whatsapp mostly ??

It all depends. If you keep widgets in the background as well that uses data. I'm saying get at least 500mb.
    03-30-12 11:03 AM
    It all depends. If you keep widgets in the background as well that uses data. I'm saying get at least 500mb.

I may trial 100mb first and see where it gets me... Most probably will go to 500mb once I get used to the platform and understand wht does what

03-30-12 12:20 PM
    I may trial 100mb first and see where it gets me... Most probably will go to 500mb once I get used to the platform and understand wht does what

Good luck!
    03-30-12 01:01 PM
    IMHO: If you really wanted to switch phones...You would have done it already. End of story!
    ^^Not if I'm waiting for my contract to end to either upgrade or switch providers.

Thanks everyone for the feedback!
    04-10-12 02:47 PM
    Heed this warning: If you go Android, do not buy any other device except one branded by Google themselves. The update frequency as well as the update "life" support from other manufacturer branded androids is SHI* compared to everyone else. My phone was touted as the very first dual core ever. They quit giving a turd about that only half a year after it was out. I'm currently looking at approx a half a year delay in getting the most recent android OS version updates. lol. Some OEM's are faster than others but they all will fall well behind getting a Google branded Android. Consider yourself warned.

On the upside, androids are pretty flexible. My phone is a year old and I can root it, freeze all of the OEM junk on it, and overclock it with a custom launcher to rival performance of stock androids that are just coming out. Downside is the effort involved in doing so, and I am a very lazy man.

May latest project totally mimics a WP7 UI which I really happen to like (with an android engine and market) , so I'm probably going to be jumping to a WP8 at year end.
    lssanjose likes this.
    04-19-12 04:34 AM
44 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD