Hi

I've been a BB user for about 4 years now, went from 8330 (had the fun with all the crazy hybris OS builds) to the semi-recent no longer manufactured 9670 Style. My phone freezes too often, track pad fails for days at a time. I'm considering moving on to Android only because it doesn't seem like any other BBs by Sprint are worth another 2yrs. Android browser and OS smoothness in my experience is much superior. I do have the playbook, which now is much more independent with integrated messaging and what not. Is there any real good reason to stick with the buggy BBOS that are offerred on sprint BBs?

Insights are appreciated thanks
    03-01-12 02:29 PM
    i did the switch too last year.. got a HTC Desire HD and god.. i love that thing.
    i still like blackberries and bought a playbook recently and overall i have no regrets. android 4.0 is SO good

i sometimes miss the BB keyboard but thats about it..

Sent from my HTC Desire HD using Tapatalk
    03-01-12 02:34 PM
    Android is Smooth?

Anyways. I would move on to an iPhone if you are looking for OS Smoothness.

Then again.. Androids can tether for free after rooting.
    03-01-12 02:35 PM
    The 9930 bold on sprint loaded with 7.1 is a perfect companion with the playbook. The hardware is very solid in my opinion the web browsing on 7.1 is good but the best part is you can also bridge and use your playbook browser also which is by far the best browser out on any mobile device in my opinion. PLUS there is quiet a few new features added to your Playbook and Bold 9930(if you get it) when bridged together. Such as viewing pics video etc on your playbook just click "view on playbook" or using your BlackBerry to control most bluetooth devices today. Basically free wireless keyboard and mouse if you will
    03-01-12 02:37 PM
    I would probably root an android phone if i got one, I heard you can personalize it much more with other technical benefits. I've never been a Mac fan, and iphones are overpriced in my opinion. I could be swayed by either of the 3, I might just go into the store and play with whatevers available. Anybody else who's switched from BB to another platform? This is good info
    03-01-12 02:44 PM
    I think...this is in the wrong thread......mods??
    03-01-12 02:47 PM
    Android is Smooth?

Anyways. I would move on to an iPhone if you are looking for OS Smoothness.

Then again.. Androids can tether for free after rooting.
    Not with the Playbook. It is free if you have a Windows laptop/netbook or an Android tablet.
    03-01-12 02:48 PM
    nothing wrong with android phone, ill wait till i can see bb10 tho or windows 8, to make phone calls. but i dont see myself using a phone to play video games, maybe in the near future when i can see phones play crysis.
    03-01-12 02:52 PM
    Yeah maybe i'll just wait a while. Although I doubt that Sprint will see any phones with BB10 but who knows. The only reason I want a smart phone still is because of the emailing capabilities, and the GPS apps thats about it. Not much of a gamer on phones, QNX OS is perfect for that
    03-01-12 02:56 PM
    You are definitely in the wrong thread. But as far as your post goes, I as well had the Style 9670 for about 11 months and had the same issues that you are having. I had it out for repair and it worked for a short time then the issues returned. I am now using the Bold 9900 and am thoroughly impressed with it and BB7. Especially in conjunction with my Playbook - the 2 together are an unstoppable force. iPhones are over priced and up to your needs totally with Android. 3 of my friends went Android from BB and 2 of them came back and went with the 9900 within 2 months. The third is sticking it out due to contract - but he misses his BB and wishes he hadn't sold it. Hope that helps.
    03-01-12 03:03 PM
    I love my 9900 with 7.1

Iphone 4 and 4s still have weaker signals vs BB or the Samsungs.. I know by doing multiple comparisons on my own.. Its the reason i gave up my iphone 4.

If i were to get an all touch screen device, os independant, i would grab a samsung galaxy s2. I demoed one for 2 weeks and it is the cooles phone and OS i've used to date. It was fast, fluid and after customizing widgets and icons it worked well. The screen blew away the iphone as did all the apps that i had on my iphone 4.

Towards of the demo i missed my 9900 and jumped back on before the trial was over. I can order one right now if i want and hand my phone off to a co-worker but i like BBs now after hating them for 3 years.

A trackpad is an easy thing to replace and pretty cheap part ordered off ebay if you want to make it last later into the summer when the new galaxy s3 is rumored to launch (1080p screen) and the new iphone?
    03-01-12 03:04 PM
    People stop obsessing over the thread location it is fixed now. So looks like if I stay with BB, the 9900 is a prime choice, but if I switch to Android, better wait for the Galaxy s3. Is the browser on the 9900 comparable to that of Android or iphone?
    03-01-12 03:15 PM
    s the browser on the 9900 comparable to that of Android or iphone?
    It's not as good, but it's quite useable. Vast, vast improvement over the 9670.... Personally I think the stock android browser blows though (Froyo + GB). I normally use Opera Mobile, boat, or some other 3rd party browser on android.
    03-01-12 04:12 PM
    I had a BB until 2010, got HTC Incredible, then Samsung Galaxy Nexus in January (with Ice Cream Sandwich OS). This phone freaking rocks. The screen is the best and it's easy to see in sunlight, the OS is the best, battery is fine, pix excellent (there's an app for that). The browser is way way better than my BB phone, it's not even close. My wife and son both have iPhone 4S and I've bought more Apple gear than Steve Jobs, but this is an excellent smartphone (and I don't have 4G where I live). I liked BB email/messaging, BBM, good camera, keyboard. But it was weak browser, apps were lousy. Heck, I've got a keyboard app that practically knows the next word I'm gonna type. I did one whole sentence entering only the first letter one time.
    03-01-12 04:51 PM
    Thats one of my reservation, I've texted and send emails with touch screen and It gets frustrating! However now that i get more practice with swiftkey i'm slowly habituating. So the transition wouldn't be so bad
    03-01-12 05:25 PM
    I bought an HTC 3D in early Feb. It was highly recommended by the sales rep. Unfortunately he failed to tell me that many of this model shut off when it reaches 99*. The phone would literally reboot over and over all day long. Can't Keep it in your shirt pocket. When I took it back the head of the reapair dept. told me that if I was going to own an Android I should expect to reboot it once or more per day. Personally I think that in this day and age that is totally unacceptable. I have had my BB sconce Jan 20th and have not had to reboot once. I haven't even turned it off. It also REQUIRED me to have a Gmail account. Their new privacy policy should be enough to send you screaming. Although I must admit the amount of available apps almost tempted me away from my Playbook purchase.
    03-01-12 05:50 PM
    Android is Smooth?
    Yes. ICS is as smooth on my Galaxy Nexus as iOS5 is on a iPhone 4/4S.
    motor96 and aNYthing24 like this.
    03-01-12 06:06 PM
    I bought an HTC 3D in early Feb. It was highly recommended by the sales rep. Unfortunately he failed to tell me that many of this model shut off when it reaches 99*. The phone would literally reboot over and over all day long. Can't Keep it in your shirt pocket. When I took it back the head of the reapair dept. told me that if I was going to own an Android I should expect to reboot it once or more per day. Personally I think that in this day and age that is totally unacceptable. I have had my BB sconce Jan 20th and have not had to reboot once. I haven't even turned it off. It also REQUIRED me to have a Gmail account. Their new privacy policy should be enough to send you screaming. Although I must admit the amount of available apps almost tempted me away from my Playbook purchase.
    I have been using Android phones for almost two years and haven't had a single reboot or freeze problem. There have been just a few force close problems with misbehaving apps, but probably not as frequently as the browser crashes on the PB. So what you got was a defective unit or model.
    SmakBerry likes this.
    03-01-12 06:33 PM
    I have been using Android phones for almost two years and haven't had a single reboot or freeze problem. There have been just a few force close problems with misbehaving apps, but probably not as frequently as the browser crashes on the PB. So what you got was a defective unit or model.
    Depends on the phone. There have been several android phones that required OS updates specifically to patch random reboot issues that are noted in the fix notes.

They do exist.
    03-01-12 07:51 PM
    Yes. ICS is as smooth on my Galaxy Nexus as iOS5 is on a iPhone 4/4S.
    The Nexus is a quality, quality phone.
    SOTK likes this.
    03-01-12 09:54 PM
    This year I think many are making this decision.. Same problem here... But I guess I'm gonna wait till the end of the year and then look at the bb10 London... Iphone 5 and galaxy s3 it will defo be one of them although the new htc one can be considered

Sent From My BlackBerry 10 Device
    03-01-12 10:01 PM
    I'll definitely keep all this in mind. I wish there was some kind of middle ground with these smart phones (i.e. a smart phone with full qwerty, AND a smooth functioning OS...or at least one that doesn't freeze constantly, plus a good brower). I haven't been able to keep up with latest fads in android so these are all good insights, Nexus, galaxy s3, definitely i'll keep an eye out for, as well as getting in some play time with 9900.
    03-01-12 10:38 PM
    The Nexus is a quality, quality phone.
    Yes it definitely is. Best phone I have ever owned.
    SOTK likes this.
    03-17-12 10:58 AM
    I'll definitely keep all this in mind. I wish there was some kind of middle ground with these smart phones (i.e. a smart phone with full qwerty, AND a smooth functioning OS...or at least one that doesn't freeze constantly, plus a good brower). I haven't been able to keep up with latest fads in android so these are all good insights, Nexus, galaxy s3, definitely i'll keep an eye out for, as well as getting in some play time with 9900.
    You can forget about a full qwerty device that's worth getting. Only BB and other sub par feature phones have physical keyboards. Manufacturers are moving away from that outdated design. With the exception of original Droid line, all Android devices with physical keyboards have flopped and that's because there is no market for them. Physical keyboards take up precious display real estate or make a device bulkier than it should be.
    03-17-12 06:18 PM
    You can forget about a full qwerty device that's worth getting. Only BB and other sub par feature phones have physical keyboards. Manufacturers are moving away from that outdated design. With the exception of original Droid line, all Android devices with physical keyboards have flopped and that's because there is no market for them. Physical keyboards take up precious display real estate or make a device bulkier than it should be.
    Very true about being bulky but I went and bought another G2 long after I sold my original one because it had a great keyboard, LED notification and a trackpad. I just couldn't find that in any other Android. It is my favorite Android to this day, I use it more than my Sensation or Galaxy.
    03-17-12 09:36 PM
44 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD