First of all coming from the BB Tour. Use my phone mainly for business and web surfing during the day. Never play video games. Use the following apps alot. Bloomberg Financial, Viigo, Poynt, BB Maps, Pandora, weather channel, and Fidelity Investments.

That's about it. Also have my yahoo email address and my work microsoft office email. I want to delete apps I don't use that might take up space or run in the background and waste battery life. I think I can get used to the touchscreen keyboard. I could not take the web browser and small screen anymore.

Anything I should know?
    08-30-10 05:32 PM
    That you are on the waiting list.

Tour person too and hope to get the Droid X I ordered on 8/22/10 by Friday. I am a keyboard person but after about an hour at Verizon I think I can do the DX. If not I'll drop back to the D2. From what I read, apps in the background don't really matter unless they are fetching info from the web. So don't waste time killing things like we do on the Tour. Good luck!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-30-10 05:54 PM
    First of all coming from the BB Tour. Use my phone mainly for business and web surfing during the day. Never play video games. Use the following apps alot. Bloomberg Financial, Viigo, Poynt, BB Maps, Pandora, weather channel, and Fidelity Investments.

That's about it. Also have my yahoo email address and my work microsoft office email. I want to delete apps I don't use that might take up space or run in the background and waste battery life. I think I can get used to the touchscreen keyboard. I could not take the web browser and small screen anymore.

Anything I should know?
    Hey, for my yahoo email, I like an email app on the market called Maildroid. It's not true push email in the traditional sense, but it is pretty darn good and very customizable.

Also, google has a nice suite of products that will come installed for free that will take care of maps and navigation. Google maps is much faster on the droid x then it was on my 9000. Poynt is available for the droid x but has a bug in the current version. Google has an app called Places that they deliver on the phone that works much like Poynt and integrates with the Navigation very well.

As for keyboards...the 2 pre-installed keyboards on the X are fantastic. The large screen of the X will definitely help you get used to the keyboard. I prefer swype to the multi-touch, but as I said they are both excellent and easy to toggle between as they both serve a purpose.

To remove bloatware, you'll need to be rooted. I haven't done this myself yet as I'm waiting for the 2.2 update. But, my understanding is there is an app on the market to make this basically a one-step process for the Droid X. Others can assist with this more than I can.

Basically, everything you use now on your blackberry will be available to you on the Droid X. I'm now 3 weeks post blackberry and was an avid supporter of the platform. I couldn't be happier with my Droid X. Everything is faster and smoother and I enjoy exploring the capabilities of my phone more than I ever did with the Bold.
    08-30-10 06:19 PM
    I've been toying with the idea of going Android these last few days as I wait for Telus to release the Torch. Biggest issue for me is the only decent 'Droid phone Telus carries atm is HTC Desire..and I've been reading mixed reviews on it. Bell is now carrying the Galaxy S..although switching carriers isn't really an option for me since I've been with Telus for over 10+ years and they treat me really well.

I'm still using a Storm 9530 and to be honest..other than occasional freezing (OS issues) and the battery pulls for memory leakage..I still find this phone to be quite good..especially with Opera Mini (which meets all my browsing needs). The thing that really bothers me about upgrading to a Torch..is the fact that hardware wise its only a minor upgrade..and as far as screen goes..its basically the same (I could be wrong about that tho). I usually upgrade to a new phone once a year (one of my perks as a Telus client)..so even though I know that I'll probably be upgrading again next year..its still a bit of a disappointment that my options this year are kind of limited. Go with the Desire and better hardware..or go with what I love..and stick with BB and a minor hardware upgrade.

08-30-10 06:23 PM
    What do you need to know?

Well u need a waterproof cover, cuz u gonna drool all over it!

08-30-10 08:04 PM
    The landscape keyboard on the X is very easy to type on, it's laid out well and the screen size give it plenty of space.

You should be able to get all the same apps you use now, except they will work much better, and faster. Google maps destroys BB Maps, trust me. It's fast, and works very well.

It took me maybe 2 hours to adjust to the DX. It's so much faster and customizable than a Blackberry it's ridicilous. This thing is really like a mini laptop that makes phone calls.
    08-30-10 08:17 PM

Anything I should know?
    Get an app called Where and you will not miss Poynt. Google maps blows BB maps out of the water, and GPS is free.
    08-30-10 08:19 PM
    Thanks everyone. I did try the landscape keyboard at Verizon and think I'll be ok with it.
    08-30-10 09:09 PM
    The landscape keyboard on the X is very easy to type on, it's laid out well and the screen size give it plenty of space.

You should be able to get all the same apps you use now, except they will work much better, and faster. Google maps destroys BB Maps, trust me. It's fast, and works very well.

It took me maybe 2 hours to adjust to the DX. It's so much faster and customizable than a Blackberry it's ridicilous. This thing is really like a mini laptop that makes phone calls.

he said it best... i cant see myself ever owning another phone that is not android. Its terrible how i can never leave the thing alone.
    08-30-10 09:41 PM
    Moving from Blackberry to Android should leave you impressed...especially if you use Gmail. It is so much more advanced that it is a little sad for RIM. In realty it is a perception issue but it easily sways people, myself included to some extent, and the Droid X will impress.
    08-30-10 10:14 PM
    Here's what you need to know. Sell your bb and love the x. At first i was having second thoughts because i was so used to the bb ui but once you get the hang of it you're hooked. And by the way today i tried my brother-in- laws brand new 9800 and hahahaha opening an app and the phone froze and then i got an uncaught exception error message. Im so glad i didn't stick around

08-31-10 01:18 AM
    If Verizon installs a Task Killer app on your new phone, uninstall it, it does more harm than good.
    08-31-10 02:07 AM
    Like someone else said .. the GMail app is much more advanced than the BB version. It does push email and you will get your messages almost immediately. The Yahoo support is similar.

Your office exchange mail will work seamlessly via active sync push out of the box. It will take about 1 minute to setup, then it will sync everything. You will find your messages arrive on the phone BEFORE your outlook inbox in most cases.

The only thing is, dependent on your IT Department exchange security permissions you may get stuck being required to put a PIN on your phone that you have to enter every time the phone locks which is anytime the screen backlight turns off. I found it VERY annoying. With exchange email you CANNOT use any apps out there that I know of to disable this once the phone goes to v2.2 Froyo.

The work around is a app someone here on CB recommended to me called Touchdown Exchange. This app will only prompt for the PIN the first time you open the app after rebooting. Not bad at all ... Only downside is the full version costs $20. Well worth it IMHO as the app has strong email features very similar to having outlook on your desktop and WAY better than the stock Android app or even the BB for that matter. There is a demo in the app market for you to try out for 30 days.

Speaking of apps ... I bet once you see how well and how quick that Droid "DOES" apps you will wind up a few more than you currently have on the BB. I'm up to something like 44 and counting ... LOL
    08-31-10 09:29 AM
    I've been toying with the idea of going Android these last few days as I wait for Telus to release the Torch. Biggest issue for me is the only decent 'Droid phone Telus carries atm is HTC Desire..and I've been reading mixed reviews on it. Bell is now carrying the Galaxy S..although switching carriers isn't really an option for me since I've been with Telus for over 10+ years and they treat me really well.

I'm still using a Storm 9530 and to be honest..other than occasional freezing (OS issues) and the battery pulls for memory leakage..I still find this phone to be quite good..especially with Opera Mini (which meets all my browsing needs). The thing that really bothers me about upgrading to a Torch..is the fact that hardware wise its only a minor upgrade..and as far as screen goes..its basically the same (I could be wrong about that tho). I usually upgrade to a new phone once a year (one of my perks as a Telus client)..so even though I know that I'll probably be upgrading again next year..its still a bit of a disappointment that my options this year are kind of limited. Go with the Desire and better hardware..or go with what I love..and stick with BB and a minor hardware upgrade.

Rick .. I was just like you ... BB's for years, then I went 9530 which became a 9550. The S2 started giving me issues and I decided to buy a used Droid to see what the hype was all about... Sadly, I didn't realize what I missing ... The Android is night and day compared to the BB IMHO .. Its amazing what I became accustomed to accept from the Storms. Sad that almost two years later and there is not even a glimmer of hope coming from RIM indicating that they will compete and compete hard in this market.
    08-31-10 09:36 AM
    I've been toying with the idea of going Android these last few days as I wait for Telus to release the Torch. Biggest issue for me is the only decent 'Droid phone Telus carries atm is HTC Desire..and I've been reading mixed reviews on it.
    Same thing. I had the S1, it sucked. Got the S2, which I still love beyond any other phone I've ever had, but I H-A-T-E BBOS. The only thing that made it tolerable was useful apps (Bellshare, Epic Apps) and themes, which are expensive ways to make your phone tolerable. $250 in software later, I saw a girl on the bus flying on a Milestone, said "**** it" and went and picked up a Milestone OOC. It's been a month now, and I'll never, ever go back. Android is like the jump from a regular phone to a BB. It seems like the possibilities are endless.

Did you not notice the Milestone? Equally good. The RAM for apps is not as high, but honestly, I have 112 apps installed right now and still 45mb free, (I'm rooted running a modded Telus 2.1 software version, but still) memory isn't a big issue unless you use Fennec as your browser. (Mobile Firefox, it's like the BB 5.0 browser and takes up 38mb!)

I actually prefer the look of the actual phone itself on the Milestone, it looks quality, not cheap like most HTC phones have / still do. The Desire suffers from this.

Also, stock Android > HTC Sense.

I dunno, but you really should consider the Milestone. You can overclock it up to 1200 MHz too, making it twice as fast as the HTC Desire, if you want it to. I run 800 MHz regularly with minimal (10% difference) in battery.
    Last edited by GlitchZero; 08-31-10 at 11:28 AM.
    08-31-10 11:25 AM

Anything I should know?
    I have had my Droid X for two weeks now and have found that its is missing a lot of features that I thought would be standard equipment.. Some of the basics such as first / last name sorting. I search my phone list by last name along with company contacts. To do it on the Droidx i had to export the list back to google mail and convert to a cvs/excel file. Once I had it done I had to reload into google then import back to my phone. Another feature I really miss is the telephone dial pad ex: start to dial persons name and the names that start with that will appear and you simply scroll down select and call. On the droid you have to do a search or scroll up and down until you find it. Once you find it you have a different screen that you then have to select the number you want to dial.
    The other thing I miss is that I was able to block my phone number from the phone v/s having to log into Verizons website (never can find the login box) and block calls from there.

You can get applications to find out what is running and turn them off manually and if you are not using the GPS and WiFi you battery life is much improved. I still can only get about 4-5 hours of a lot of talk time and therfore have car docking stations in all vehicles.

The only reason I'm leaving T-Mobile is the coverage area is not complete enough. I'm really surprised that the DroidX doesn't have some of these basic items.
    Help maybe I'm missing something..
    09-12-10 09:56 AM
    I have had my Droid X for two weeks now and have found that its is missing a lot of features that I thought would be standard equipment..
    I just pulled the trigger on an NE2 upgrade to a DX. Was told by VZW retail that there was no way to get a ship date before 9/21; upgraded via "My Account" on Friday AM prepared for the long wait, had a ship confirmation three hours later, and FedEx tracking shows the phone will be delivered 9/13, before 3PM.

Go figure ...

Sad about leaving BB. fully expect speed bumps along the way, but looking forward to the Android experience.
    09-12-10 10:50 AM
    I too HAD to take advantage of my NE2 and pulled the trigger on an X. I really love the CrackBerry forum...that's all I am going to miss. Oh...and BBM...omg that is a tragedy for me.

I don't have much patience...and considering I know the BBOS inside out and upside down...its going to be hard for me to master Android just as well. Especially since on the android forum...they speak a different language over there (all seem to be advanced computer peeps).

I had to do it though...I went from the 9530 (loved best it to this day) >9550 (bought used & hated it)> X on 9/4. So I patiently wait.

I dont use MS Exchange so I dont worry about that. I am all about the internet and texting and email (i use gmail). So I think I should be very happy...
    09-13-10 06:07 AM
    hey can i ask u android fans about sumthin real quick if u dont mind. my father has a "HERO" and i was wondering if there is a software like BB has the DM. but for the android's???...........ya know to backup his device, add and remove APPS, stuff like that??............thatnx fellas
    09-13-10 07:31 AM
    Titanium Backup works great for apps....
    09-13-10 08:01 AM
    I have had my Droid X for two weeks now and have found that its is missing a lot of features that I thought would be standard equipment.. Some of the basics such as first / last name sorting. I search my phone list by last name along with company contacts. To do it on the Droidx i had to export the list back to google mail and convert to a cvs/excel file. Once I had it done I had to reload into google then import back to my phone. Another feature I really miss is the telephone dial pad ex: start to dial persons name and the names that start with that will appear and you simply scroll down select and call. On the droid you have to do a search or scroll up and down until you find it. Once you find it you have a different screen that you then have to select the number you want to dial.
    The other thing I miss is that I was able to block my phone number from the phone v/s having to log into Verizons website (never can find the login box) and block calls from there.

You can get applications to find out what is running and turn them off manually and if you are not using the GPS and WiFi you battery life is much improved. I still can only get about 4-5 hours of a lot of talk time and therfore have car docking stations in all vehicles.

The only reason I'm leaving T-Mobile is the coverage area is not complete enough. I'm really surprised that the DroidX doesn't have some of these basic items.
    Help maybe I'm missing something..
    If you do a long hold on any of the seven main screens and select "shortcuts", then select "contact search" and add the shortcut to your main screen then open and start typing the name of the contact and it will bring them up the same as blackberry does or when your in "dialer" you can select your menu button at the bottom of phone and then select "search" to get to the same feature.

As far as the first/last name search, why not set them up in "speed dial" or "Favorites" this way you don't have as long of a list to scroll through. I'm not sure, but would think there is a way to change the sort order of your contact list.

Not sure about blocking the #, but if I find a way I'll report back.
    09-13-10 08:12 AM
    Hey, for my yahoo email, I like an email app on the market called Maildroid. It's not true push email in the traditional sense, but it is pretty darn good and very customizable.

Also, google has a nice suite of products that will come installed for free that will take care of maps and navigation. Google maps is much faster on the droid x then it was on my 9000. Poynt is available for the droid x but has a bug in the current version. Google has an app called Places that they deliver on the phone that works much like Poynt and integrates with the Navigation very well.

As for keyboards...the 2 pre-installed keyboards on the X are fantastic. The large screen of the X will definitely help you get used to the keyboard. I prefer swype to the multi-touch, but as I said they are both excellent and easy to toggle between as they both serve a purpose.

To remove bloatware, you'll need to be rooted. I haven't done this myself yet as I'm waiting for the 2.2 update. But, my understanding is there is an app on the market to make this basically a one-step process for the Droid X. Others can assist with this more than I can.

Basically, everything you use now on your blackberry will be available to you on the Droid X. I'm now 3 weeks post blackberry and was an avid supporter of the platform. I couldn't be happier with my Droid X. Everything is faster and smoother and I enjoy exploring the capabilities of my phone more than I ever did with the Bold.
    Just an FYI, I went through all my other emails and set them to forward to my "Gmail" account and now they are instant.
    09-13-10 08:15 AM
    hey can i ask u android fans about sumthin real quick if u dont mind. my father has a "HERO" and i was wondering if there is a software like BB has the DM. but for the android's???...........ya know to backup his device, add and remove APPS, stuff like that??............thatnx fellas
    Titanium Backup works great for apps....
    Titanium backup requires the device to be rooted though. Astro will back up the apps to the sd card, but unlike Titanium backup, it will not save the user/app data, just the app itself.

As far as adding/removing apps, you do that from the device itself. No rebooting required.
    09-13-10 03:13 PM
    You need to know that android is aweeeesooome!
    09-13-10 04:31 PM
    you're going to love swype
    09-22-10 11:36 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD