Until the release of the MOTO DROID, I was very satisfied with my phone. But after all of the research, reading reviews, watching YouTube videos, going to VZW and actually handling one... I'm convinced now more than ever that RIM is behind the times.

I'm very disappointed with RIM right now. The OS is the main issue. It looks "dated." Don't get me wrong, its not very bad looking, and it also gets the job done. My Tour 9630 is a solid device. But, compared to several smartphones out today, the only thing RIM has going for it is its legacy name. Put any other name on it and it may have been abandoned a long time ago. As well, many businesses have built their infrastructure on the backbone of RIM's services. So, I understand that as well.

Remember the open letter BGR wrote about RIM several months ago? Well, with the release of the MOTO DROID, this is becoming more and more relevant and an eye opener for me. You'd think BGR had been hanging out with Jesus Christ the way the write-up is so spot on! It's almost like prophecy! LOL!

How many ways can you wrap the OS in new hardware? I mean, when I heard the announcement of the 9700 Bold, was anyone else disinterested besides me? The MOTO DROID hadn't even really been discussed at that time. How is it REALLY any different than the Tour? WiFi and a trackpad doesn't make me wish I didn't have my Tour. As well, I went and played with a Storm 2 last week. What's the fuss all about? It honestly seemed no different than the Storm 1 (which I owned for only 7 days).

Furthermore, I rock 5.0 software on my phone, but other than speed, threaded txt messaging and an better looking BBM, how is it much different than 4.6 or 4.7? The OS DOES NOT LOOK OR FUNCTION ANY DIFFERENT!!!

With that said, what is the future of CrackBerry? I'm really concerned. I mean that sincerely. Kevin may want to consider jumping on the Android or iPhone bandwagon soon, or he could be going down with the Titanic. It's a harsh reality. Does anyone else see what I'm seeing??? It's sad, man. Just sad.

I'm pretty sure even Kevin has had the same exact thoughts. Everyone knows it. Because, again, when BGR posted his open letter, everyone was pretty much in FULL AGREEMENT.

Bottomline, I'm jumping ship first chance I get. Looks like I'll have the DROID soon. Maybe this week. We'll see. If I do, I'll post a video review. If RIM ever decides to get its act together, I just MAY come back. Gonna take A LOT of convincing though, with Google Android and Apple iPhone in the game.

I mean, think about it... you know its only gonna get better with Android. It's made by Google for crying out loud! The same company introducing the new Google Wave that will revolutionize the way we do email. They are the #1 search engine on the planet. Chimpanzees even in Africa use Google to find bananas! Not to mention... Google Earth, Maps, Chrome, their new OS they're working on, Gmail, Google Talk, Google Voice, Google Video & YouTube (now a Google Company), Google Checkout, and much more! They have software on lock down!

Mark my words... the battle will be between Google and Apple. Microsoft Mobile is falling off the map at a fast pace. Who talks about them anymore??? Why? For the same reasons people will stop talking about RIM unless they get their act together!!!

I'mma let my rant end here. There's SO MUCH I could say! Some of you probably want to say it too, I'm sure.

Further reading:
    The top 10 things we hate about the BlackBerry � Boy Genius Report

Edit: Just found this article on Wall Street Journal. Pretty much confirms everything I've said.

BlackBerry Offers Low-Hanging Fruit - WSJ.com
    Last edited by kingzee; 11-09-09 at 12:50 AM.
    11-08-09 04:49 AM
    How exactly is WM falling off the map....
    Since when is phone marketshare determined by an individual hearing whether or not people around him talk about a phone?....

This seriously is a rant...
    11-08-09 04:57 AM
    Since when is phone marketshare determined by an individual hearing whether or not people around him talk about a phone?....

No No...it was an Important Announcement!! Didn't you see the title?
    11-08-09 05:01 AM
    No No...it was an Important Announcement!! Didn't you see the title?
    Ahh that must be it. Sweeping generalizations based on false perceptions are the new "important announcements"
    11-08-09 05:06 AM
    I remeber when I strode about like Hercules with the Motorola Razor on my hip, feeling unconquerable and indomitable. But then, the 8830WE found me, groomed me, civilized me, and made me a believer. I have never looked back since, and it"s not because of neck cramps.

Sure, Rim's OS might be antiquated, their browser a study in humor, and the entire package humbled by the likes of the iPhone and the Droids. I remain entirely unimpressed. I would certainly appreciate an evolution from Rim, but the bottomline is that the devices they put out are more than adequate for my needs. Their evolution has been different from that of the iPhones and the droids. They have always targeted the corporate environment. Therefore, the needs are different. For example, security is paramount for most business users. In fact, I believe our President managed to talk his security detail into letting him keep his 8830WE. If Rim hasn't managed to find a way to seamlessly blend corporate needs with private consumer needs, I am inclined to cut them some slack.

Comparing a Blackberry to these other phones is somewhat like comparing a 1966 Mustang Shelby to those newer travesties on the road today. Almost 40 years later, Ford has tried to recapture the glory of those classics in a modern context. The outcome has been a bit awkward, and I am not even a car enthusiast. Now there are Mustangs on the road shaped somewhat like the classics, albeit in plastic, but even a greenhorn would know which to pick if it came down to a choice. The fact that the newer Mustangs come with an auxiliary input jack or an iPod module is not nearly enough to tip the scale. Not even close.

An iPhone is merely an iPod that makes calls. I already own a stand-alone iPod; I would feel foolish going running at the park with my phone strapped to my wrist. Sure, Google is a progressive company. But it is precisely because they are a progressive company that they have made sure that they have beaucoup apps for the Blackberry fanbase. And we must remember that a mobile phone is an integration of software and hardware. Google's expertise spans the software world. It is relatively untested in the hardware arena.

Bottomline? I'd give you some glucose for your sprint away from Blackberry if you were anywhere close in vicinity. It's the Christian thing to do, and I have a reputation for being downright neighborly, especially on Sundays. I'll clap, caper and dance if you make it to the other side safely. The whole time, though, I'll remain safely on the sidelines, with my trusty Backberry Tour for company. Best o'luck...
    Last edited by Barredbard; 11-08-09 at 06:15 AM.
    11-08-09 05:42 AM
    ^likes what he said

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-08-09 05:50 AM
    I remeber when I strode about like Hercules with the Motorola Razor on my hip, feeling unconquerable and indomitable. But then, the 8830WE found me, groomed me, civilized me, and made me a believer. I have never looked back since, and it"s not because of neck cramps.

Sure, Rim's OS might be antiquated, their browser a study in humor, and the entire package humbled by the likes of the iPhone and the Droids. I remain entirely unimpressed. I would certainly appreciate an evolution from Rim, but the bottomline is that the devices they put out are more than adequate for my needs. Their evolution has been different from the iPhones and the droids. They always targeted the corporate environment. Therefore, security is paramount. In fact, I believe our President managed to talk his security detail into letting him keep his 8830WE. If they haven't managed to find a way to seamlessly blend corporate needs with private consumer needs, I am inclined to cut them some slack.

Comparing a Blackberry to these other phones is somewhat like comparing a 1966 Mustang Shelby to those newer travesties on the road today. Almost 40 years later, Ford has tried to recapture the glory of those classics in a modern context. The outcome has been a bit awkward, and I am not even a car enthusiast. Now there are Mustangs on the road shaped somewhat like the classics, albeit in plastic, but even a greenhorn would know which to pick if it came down to a choice.

An iPhone is merely an iPod that makes calls. I already own a stand-alone iPod; I would feel foolish going running at the park with my phone strapped to my wrist. Sure, Google is a progressive company. But it is precisely because they are a progressive company that they have made sure that they have beaucoup apps for the Blackberry fanbase. And we must remember that a mobile phone is an integration of software and hardware. Google's expertise spans the software world.

Bottomline? I'd give you some glucose for your sprint away from Blackberry if you were anywhere close in vicinity. It's the Christian thing to do, and I have a reputation for being downright neighborly, especially on Sundays. I'll clap, caper and dance if you make it to the other side safely. The whole time, though, I'll remain safely on the sidelines, with my trusty Backberry Tour for company. Best o'luck...
    I agree with you !!!!!!

11-08-09 06:04 AM
    The problem is the attitude of people in here accepting that RIM is defunct and will never have it together to make a good OS. This is why RIM will never improve. Nobody is putting a demand on them to do so and because of this RIM will always put out mediocre phones and mediocre software.

You will never see RIM taking the lead on anything, ever!
    11-08-09 07:20 AM
    Until the release of the MOTO DROID, I was very satisfied with my phone. But after all of the research, reading reviews, watching YouTube videos, going to VZW and actually handling one... I'm convinced now more than ever that RIM is behind the times.

I'm very disappointed with RIM right now. The OS is the main issue. It looks "dated." Don't get me wrong, its not very bad looking, and it also gets the job done. My Tour 9630 is a solid device. But, compared to several smartphones out today, the only thing RIM has going for it is its legacy name. Put any other name on it and it may have been abandoned a long time ago. As well, many businesses have built their infrastructure on the backbone of RIM's services. So, I understand that as well.

Remember the open letter BGR wrote about RIM several months ago? Well, with the release of the MOTO DROID, this is becoming more and more relevant and an eye opener for me. You'd think BGR had been hanging out with Jesus Christ the way the write-up is so spot on! It's almost like prophecy! LOL!

How many ways can you wrap the OS in new hardware? I mean, when I heard the announcement of the 9700 Bold, was anyone else disinterested besides me? The MOTO DROID hadn't even really been discussed at that time. How is it REALLY any different than the Tour? WiFi and a trackpad doesn't make me wish I didn't have my Tour. As well, I went and played with a Storm 2 last week. What's the fuss all about? It honestly seemed no different than the Storm 1 (which I owned for only 7 days).

Furthermore, I rock 5.0 software on my phone, but other than speed, threaded txt messaging and an better looking BBM, how is it much different than 4.6 or 4.7? The OS DOES NOT LOOK OR FUNCTION ANY DIFFERENT!!!

With that said, what is the future of CrackBerry? I'm really concerned. I mean that sincerely. Kevin may want to consider jumping on the Android or iPhone bandwagon soon, or he could be going down with the Titanic. It's a harsh reality. Does anyone else see what I'm seeing??? It's sad, man. Just sad.

I'm pretty sure even Kevin has had the same exact thoughts. Everyone knows it. Because, again, when BGR posted his open letter, everyone was pretty much in FULL AGREEMENT.

Bottomline, I'm jumping ship first chance I get. Looks like I'll have the DROID soon. Maybe this week. We'll see. If I do, I'll post a video review. If RIM ever decides to get its act together, I just MAY come back. Gonna take A LOT of convincing though, with Google Android and Apple iPhone in the game.

I mean, think about it... you know its only gonna get better with Android. It's made by Google for crying out loud! The same company introducing the new Google Wave that will revolutionize the way we do email. They are the #1 search engine on the planet. Chimpanzees even in Africa use Google to find bananas! Not to mention... Google Earth, Maps, Chrome, their new OS they're working on, Gmail, Google Talk, Google Voice, Google Video & YouTube (now a Google Company), Google Checkout, and much more! They have software on lock down!

Mark my words... the battle will be between Google and Apple. Microsoft Mobile is falling off the map at a fast pace. Who talks about them anymore??? Why? For the same reasons people will stop talking about RIM unless they get their act together!!!

I'mma let my rant end here. There's SO MUCH I could say! Some of you probably want to say it too, I'm sure.

Further reading:
    The top 10 things we hate about the BlackBerry � Boy Genius Report
    No argument from me! Nice read, btw!
    11-08-09 07:57 AM

You are funny. No, market share isn't determined by whether or not a person hears people talking about WM. That's silly. If we want to make our forum topics Wall Street Journals Editorials, then sure... You are correct in being nit picky.

At any rate, its determined by the thousands of articles that have been written, the millions of consumers such as myself who no longer will buy WM (that is a fact), and the phone makers who are no longer using WM (and refuse to). I think that pretty much does it.

11-08-09 08:08 AM
    The problem is the attitude of people in here accepting that RIM is defunct and will never have it together to make a good OS. This is why RIM will never improve. Nobody is putting a demand on them to do so and because of this RIM will always put out mediocre phones and mediocre software.

I don't think that's the problem. The problem is that RIM is banking everything on a 5.0 OS and those of us who know better see that its just "more of the same." Therfore, we see the future. It will be another 2-3 years before RIM rolls out a new OS. Frankly, I refuse to wait that long. RIM needs to get it together. Its their job to do so, and not ours as a consumer to make them.

I like RIM a lot. I truly do hope they pull things together. I mean that. If anything, it is people like me being honest that they should take heed to. More people need to speak up and ask for better.

11-08-09 08:14 AM
    No argument from me! Nice read, btw!
    thanks bud!

11-08-09 08:15 AM
    Interesting read. However it is pure ignorance that RIM does not see the mobile market and isn't preparing to adjust to it. I understand that many of the people on this board, especially the younger generation are those with the thought process of instant gratification, and want the newest and the shiniest now, and that is understood. It is true that Android and the iPhone are here now, and that both OSes blow BBs out of the water, but that is going to change. Yeah, it won't be right away, so go ahead and get your Droids and your iPhones, but don't discount RIM. They've already said that they will be adding features such as widgets and as small a step as 5.0 is, it is a step nonetheless towards being visually more pleasing and functional.

Let me ask you this, honestly, what can the Android platform do that the BB can't? I don't want to hear the word "gaming" since yes, the Android platform is better suited for that type of thing, but if RIM were smart and utilized the GPU on their phones (especially their touch screen line) and figured out a better way for memory management (their Achilles heal IMO) they would likely have the same ability. I want to know honestly what your Android phone does that the blackberry dosen't?

I'm not a fan boy. I have both the Droid and the Storm, and I use my Droid primarily because I'm a young adult and like most of generation y, I enjoy flashy aesthetically pleasing things, and the Droid looks better than the storm 110% but when it comes down to it, I can do anything with my Storm that my droid can do (save for some really fancy apps, but that is a memory/graphics limitation on the BB nothing more.)

So, please, I want to hear some opinions on this.
    11-08-09 08:42 AM
    RIM is business oriented company... they tried to stick their nose into consumers market and got burned, until they learn their ways, if they ever do, we will see lots of consumers look the other way.
    11-08-09 09:20 AM

It is a lucky coincidence that I prefer my Blackberry to the iPhone. Since when did Apple become a paragon of virtue? Since when have they made any pretext at putting customers first? This is the very same company that has decided to limit its iPhones to At&t! Talk about eliminating choices for consumers; till date, any consumer wanting an iPhone must ditch their service carrier, and migrate to At&t. Or otherwise try unlocking it, with no guarantees. Sure, this might change in the future, but the question of the day remains: what have you done for me lately? I have an iTunes library that is synched to my iPod. And glory be, I can now sync playlists to my Blackberry. But the point is that Apple has willingly pandered to an attempt at a monopoly, and they didn't care about customers like me who already use iTunes pretty extensively. It is true that Rim does release different devices for different networks, but one can say without fear of contradiction that there is a Blackberry on every network.

I am very content with my Sprint service, and I will not be browbeaten into changing carriers. Of course, some people were tricked into changing service carriers. My friend's romance with his iPhone has worn off; it is only a device after all, and he is looking to go back to Tmobile. I have always understood that my decision to stay with a carrier must be tied to how reasonable the monthly charge for using a device is. I did my research before I decided with a service carrier, and it is one that suits my financial capabilities well. There are not enough iPhones in the world to convince me to leave my service carrier.

If you'd like to throw stones, direct them at Apple, which has chosen to limit a customer's options by striking up an exclusive agreement with At&t...
    Last edited by Barredbard; 11-08-09 at 09:36 AM.
    11-08-09 09:30 AM
    If you'd like to throw stones, direct them at Apple, which has chosen to limit a customer's options by striking up an exclusive agreement with At&t...
    This will be changing, probably before the end of next year when the iPhone is on VZW.

It's going to happen, no two ways about it. Apple wants to be the leader in the smart phone market and the only way to do it is by offering it up to other carriers because there are many people, like you said, that just won't switch to , what they believe is an inferior carrier.

I liked what you wrote. Nice read.
    11-08-09 09:37 AM
    RIM is business oriented company... they tried to stick their nose into consumers market and got burned, until they learn their ways, if they ever do, we will see lots of consumers look the other way.
    I agree completely. Blackberries are perfect for business users. The problem is they started getting into the Consumer side with the Storm and they didn't make any major changes to the OS for Consumers that are on par with the already popular Iphone or Android devices. They also have said they don't want to have seperate OSs for Business and Consumers. They want to keep it all under the same OS. Well, in my opinion that will be their downfall in the Consumer side of things. Business users though have it good and actually even people who are not into gaming or care about a flashy UI and just care about e-mail, security have it good as well.
    11-08-09 09:43 AM
    The problem with RIM thinking that they are for business only and that they will retain the market is that other platforms are better at the consumer market and have been for years and truth be told, the other platforms are almost there with the business apps and sync. Rim is nowhere near at consumer market. I actually like the click screen on the Storm. I have gotten used to it but I can get used to the Android type screen and get very very very good screen resolution. For the live of me I don't know why RIM did not upgrade that on S2 but upgraded it enough so you have to buy new accessories for it! Why get a new cradle? You mean to tell me they could not keep the mini usu in same spot? I guess, for me, if I have to shell out for new accessories, I will try a new phone!
    11-08-09 09:48 AM
    You are funny. No, market share isn't determined by whether or not a person hears people talking about WM. That's silly. If we want to make our forum topics Wall Street Journals Editorials, then sure... You are correct in being nit picky.

At any rate, its determined by the thousands of articles that have been written, the millions of consumers such as myself who no longer will buy WM (that is a fact), and the phone makers who are no longer using WM (and refuse to). I think that pretty much does it.

Actually market share is determined by calculating the percentage of each manufacturer's devices sold/in use/whatever the metric divided by the total number of device sold/in use/whatever. RIM remains in the #2 spot, behind Nokia, in market share according to IDC's recent survey. It's Sunday and I'm lazy so you'll have to Google.

The thing about forums is this: by definition they are gathering places for people who share a common interest. In the case of CB, the common interest has been BlackBerry ownership - or prospective ownership. The fact that one hundred or two hundred (and I think that's on the high side) people who are registered on CB have purchased Droids doesn't change in any statistically significant way the business model of CB. As I write this there are 8,718 users logged in to CB and 1,755,484 total members. If 20% of those members decided "to **** with RIM, they're not 'progressive' enough for me, I'm going Droid!", CB would still have 1,400,000 members. I don't think Kevin needs to worry about his business model.

RIM's bread and butter is, as we all know, big business and government. They make a pile of money selling BES, and a fair amount selling devices in mass quantities to the aforementioned. If a person bought a Storm expecting an experience like the iPhone (pretty UI, lots of 3rd party apps, most of which are worthless or duplicative - but stylish and something they could wave in front of their friends, or girls at clubs) they should have done their research into what the company is built on first.

At the end of the day it really doesn't matter what any of us think. Neither Nokia, AAPL, Google, WM, nor RIM are going anywhere any time soon. Why? Because they all meet a need that satisfies certain groups of consumers. That's what an open marketplace means: you can buy your Droid, love it, think it's the best thing since sliced bread, and I can buy an S2 and feel precisely the same - all for different reasons. Individual needs will vary. That's what it means to be an individual. You are unique. Only *you* know what you want and need. Likewise, you can't presume to know what *I* want and need. Because we're individuals. I much prefer things being that way; the alternative is that we're all sheep.

RIM will do what RIM believes it needs to do in order to maintain its position in an increasingly competitive marketplace. In fact, the annual developers conference is this week and, if you look at the agenda, it is surprisingly consumer-heavy. Kevin will be reporting from the conference - both on CB and Twitter - and I am eager to hear what he reports back. This is an exciting time to be a BlackBerry owner. I believe, based upon what I've read from people I trust on CB, and on pure logic, that 2010 will be an important year for RIM and will be a year that helps define RIM's philosophy with respect to maintaining its corporate/government core while reaching out in creative ways to "consumers." I also hope that, as we get further away from the Droid launch, emotions will settle down and posts will become less volatile, aggressive, and nasty. At least until the next new thing comes down the line...
    11-08-09 10:16 AM
    [/QUOTE]
    Comparing a Blackberry to these other phones is somewhat like comparing a 1966 Mustang Shelby to those newer travesties on the road today. Almost 40 years later, Ford has tried to recapture the glory of those classics in a modern context. The outcome has been a bit awkward, and I am not even a car enthusiast. Now there are Mustangs on the road shaped somewhat like the classics, albeit in plastic, but even a greenhorn would know which to pick if it came down to a choice. The fact that the newer Mustangs come with an auxiliary input jack or an iPod module is not nearly enough to tip the scale. Not even close.
    [/QUOTE]

Boooooooooo!!! Don't talk bad about the new Mustangs, I don't own ones but their a beautiful car. Travesty? Wtf are you smoking? Same for the Camaro talk about dead sexy. I would rather have a 67 shelby gt 500 but most certainly wouldn't complain about the latter.
    11-08-09 10:30 AM
    While I do agree to an extent with you Kingzee, I think you are overreacting a little bit. RIM will not just sink and fade away (and either would CrackBerry). And I'm pretty sure Kevin would rather go down with the ship than jump to another one!

While things don't look so great right now, you (and mostly everyone else) have no idea what RIM is planning for the future. Obviously they really need to get moving on this and release it ASAP, but only time will tell. With that said, if by the next time I upgrade RIM doesn't have anything VERY promising in near future, I'm jumping ship as well.
    11-08-09 11:50 AM
    While I do agree to an extent with you Kingzee, I think you are overreacting a little bit. RIM will not just sink and fade away (and either would CrackBerry). And I'm pretty sure Kevin would rather go down with the ship than jump to another one!

While things don't look so great right now, you (and mostly everyone else) have no idea what RIM is planning for the future. Obviously they really need to get moving on this and release it ASAP, but only time will tell. With that said, if by the next time I upgrade RIM doesn't have anything VERY promising in near future, I'm jumping ship as well.
    The interesting stat to see would be how much CB membership and site visits increased after release of the S1 and continue to watch that stat as S1 users decide what to do in the future now that other compelling options are coming to vzw.

I loved the Storm, but it got a little dated and boring.
    Last edited by The Antagonist; 11-08-09 at 12:10 PM.
    11-08-09 12:05 PM
    Great read Kingzee and good points made.

The release of the MotoDroid is exciting - regardless of where your loyalties lie; blackberry, android, iphone. Technology pushing each other.

I happen to agree RIM needs to look long and hard at their OS and hardware strategies.

The OS and build quality used to be a RIM signature... Now... The OS is dated... and since the Storm 1 the quality is cheap.

11-08-09 12:07 PM
    RIMs stock was at 95 in June. Its at 61 now. Its not rocket science.
    2010 is going to be rough for them unless they get it together quick.
    11-08-09 12:18 PM
    The interesting stat to see would be how much CB membership and site visits increased after release of the S1 and continue to watch that stat as S1 users decide what to do in the future now that other compelling options are coming to vzw.

I loved the Storm, but it got a little dated and boring.
    That's a good point about tracking CrackBerry's daily visits and membership growth. Members here are considered RIM's most loyal users, so if we see a decline or slower growth at CrackBerry, it would speak volumes about RIM in general. I still doubt that many users here are willing to jump ship and give up hope so easily. There's a reason why they call it CRACKberry!
    11-08-09 12:20 PM
65 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD