Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By howarmat
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default I was told about this months ago, why no news till now?

I came across this article by following a link from Seeking Alpha, an investment site which usually gets linked on Yahoo Finance, not this time.
    Make your own conclusions.

Internet Crime Complaint Center (IC3) | Smartphone Malware Safety Tips
    Tony Renier
    Green Bay, WI, USA

"Fairy tales do not tell children that dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed."
    G.K. Chesterton

Global Posts
    10,491 Global Posts
    PIN
    PM me.

You want news every time there's a new strand of malware for Android?
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

Quote Originally Posted by SCrid2000 View Post
    You want news every time there's a new strand of malware for Android?
    No just an acknowledgment of BBs security while the financial news praises IOS, Android and BYOD. Including the ability to turn a phone on and eavesdrop. I've seen that done to a woman with a restraining order on her husband, who installed the app.
    Here's another citation;

http://www.labnol.org/software/sms-c...d-phone/21325/
    Last edited by tonyrenier; 11-18-2012 at 08:01 PM. Reason: add citation
    Tony Renier
    Green Bay, WI, USA

"Fairy tales do not tell children that dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed."
    G.K. Chesterton
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    6,357 Global Posts
    PIN
    7901FC6B

Quote Originally Posted by tonyrenier View Post
    No just an acknowledgment of BBs security while the financial news praises IOS, Android and BYOD. Including the ability to turn a phone on and eavesdrop. I've seen that done to a woman with a restraining order on her husband, who installed the app.
    Here's another citation;

Phone in Silent Mode? Turn On the Ringer by Sending an SMS
    But wouldn't they also have to admit something like that also exists for other platforms, including BB?

TinyController
    Everyone, everyone, stop fighting! Look unto me! I possess the blue flag! I wield the power infinite! The universal fabric is mine to unravel! My every thought becomes reality! Mountains will fall! Seas will boil! Day will be at night! People will...run...chicks'll dig me!

the same things can be done on a BB device if the user installs an app and doesnt pay attention to its permissions. The article states "mobile devices" and doesnt specify which ones even.

Just like anything it comes down to the user and if they choose to install software or modify their device. BB, android and ios can all be made vulnernable easily.
    ~Matt
    Nexus 5, Z10 LE, White Lumia 521, 32GB Nook HD+ & 16GB PB, 32 GB Dell Venue 8 Pro
    @howarmat
    Thanked by:
    pantlesspenguin (11-21-2012) 
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  

Quote Originally Posted by howarmat View Post
    the same things can be done on a BB device if the user installs an app and doesnt pay attention to its permissions. The article states "mobile devices" and doesnt specify which ones even.

Just like anything it comes down to the user and if they choose to install software or modify their device. BB, android and ios can all be made vulnernable easily.
    First off, thanks for the comment. Here's where three things that drive consumers nuts about BlackBerry come in.
    1.) They vett their apps, test them for security.
    2.). With all the complaining over the 2 outages of BB handsets, people did not pick up on the fact that RIM has it's own encrypted network, if any unusual activity were to happen with an app that they did vett, it would be picked up by their network, no one else has this but the carriers and they're just looking for billable minutes.
    3.)The vetting process is why it is taking so long for Android apps to show up on the Playbook (QNX-BB 10)platform.
    If anyone with a better understanding of my explanation wishes to chime in please do, my research may not be accurate.
    4.) I just thought of the incident with India claiming they had cracked BlackBerry's code; This is impossible since each user or enterprise sets up their own. India was blowing smoke.
    Thanks again.
    Last edited by tonyrenier; 11-26-2012 at 07:36 AM. Reason: Added a further thought
    Tony Renier
    Green Bay, WI, USA

G.K. Chesterton

Quote Originally Posted by tonyrenier View Post
    First off, thanks for the comment. Here's where three things that drive consumers nuts about BlackBerry come in.
    1.) They vett their apps, test them for security.
    2.). With all the complaining over the 2 outages of BB handsets, people did not pick up on the fact that RIM has it's own encrypted network, if any unusual activity were to happen with an app that they did vett, it would be picked up by their network, no one else has this but the carriers and they're just looking for billable minutes.
    3.)The vetting process is why it is taking so long for Android apps to show up on the Playbook (QNX-BB 10)platform.
    If anyone with a better understanding of my explanation wishes to chime in please do, my research may not be accurate.

4.) I just thought of the incident with India claiming they had cracked BlackBerry's code; This is impossible since each user or enterprise sets up their own. India was blowing smoke.
    Thanks again.
    I would say 1-3 are highly debatable. To this day jared co still has apps in app world and they are known to be "malware" in some cases. Remember apps can be written and completely legit in the coding aspect but still be a threat to security. You can always download that is a flashlight but still asks for permissions to contacts. Once it has that access it easily can take all contact and their info and do what it pleases. RIM would approve this app without an issue and their "network" doesnt catch this either.

Security relates to so many aspects of a mobile platform in todays world. RIM does have more measures than most but it all still comes down to the user.

From what i know is that most apps are simply tested to install and then open. Functionality testing is very limited. Thats why so many apps on the PB are crap and dont work really. They probably run them thru a code scanner too looking for obvious malware code but its still not "vetted" as much as you think IMO
    ~Matt
    Nexus 5, Z10 LE, White Lumia 521, 32GB Nook HD+ & 16GB PB, 32 GB Dell Venue 8 Pro
    @howarmat
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,313 Global Posts
    PIN
    8900 for sale

Yawn..... cough..... Yawn, excuse me...
    T-MO GN II 4G FanDROID