I like the Fascinate; it has it's quirks but I am an avid follower of the goings on of android. Since I have switched to the Fasc I have noticed how much the Moto devices have been getting tweaks and upgrades frequently. The Fascinate only one minor fix it, after that nothing.
    So with that being said while the Super Amoled is nice, it would be nice to see an upgrade to 2.2 on the Fascinate. I will be watching to see how they treat the tablet as far as software upgrades. But I always said if Samsung ever released a an Android phone I would give it a shot I did so. Next time around I don't know. But I aint saying never.

“I had a dream that I turned on my Fascinate, and I saw it prompting me to update my operating system to Froyo” – Android and Me
    12-20-10 04:45 PM
    I haven't had any luck with anything Samsung. The only Samsung android device I used was the captivate and it was laggy as ever. When I saw the tab I became intrigued but I just haven't had good experiences with Samsung so I'm wait for HTC to come out with one. From what I've been reading, Samsung will be among the last when it comes to updates and stuff. Who knows. The Nexus S looks good and the only reason I would give that a shot if it were on sprint would be for vanilla android instead of all the proprietary stuff.
    12-20-10 05:11 PM
    Samsung makes excellent TV's and screens/panels for all sorts of devices, but their phones and phone "division" are lacking severely and I doubt I'd ever purchase one.

They had a chance to release a good phone without their custom overlay which would receive on time (first) updates with Vanilla Android, but they still decided to use chinsey build quality and have issues such as poor GPS & WiFi signals to boot.
    12-20-10 11:00 PM
    damn dtboos, you read my mind.
    12-20-10 11:13 PM
    Don't give up on the fascinate. I bought a g2 to replace the vibrant cause I was frustrated with the GPS issues but then I researched xda on how to root and flash custom roms and now i finally have a great phone with no complaints what so ever. Returned the g2.
    Phone is super snappy, GPS works, froyo, wireless tethering. Great battery life with a stable kernal. Android being open source is the saving grace. Samsung have already released froyo. Its the carriers now that are lagging the updates.

The development community in xda will give you updates than Google will ever release. Long live android. Super satisfied with the vibrant now.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-21-10 12:12 AM
    Lol, rol, and wtf? Xda releases updates google can't? Wtf! I am sure you meant google releases the updates first as code, then devs tweak it to their liking. Danzig, I mean fanning it is ok though ; )
    12-21-10 12:44 AM
    My nexus s kicks much arse
    12-21-10 02:31 AM
    Lol, rol, and wtf? Xda releases updates google can't? Wtf! I am sure you meant google releases the updates first as code, then devs tweak it to their liking. Danzig, I mean fanning it is ok though ; )
    I stand corrected

12-21-10 02:54 AM
    I have found the Fascinate to be a solid device so far. All of these phones have quirks some worse than others. Coming from the Droid X the Fascinate is a much better device IMO.
    12-21-10 06:33 AM
    I wouldn't buy a samsung just based on their streaky update history. The cheap plasticy feel of their devices doesn't help much either.
    12-21-10 07:02 AM
    My nexus s kicks much arse
    The Nexus S comes with the latest and greatest.....
    I have found the Fascinate to be a solid device so far. All of these phones have quirks some worse than others. Coming from the Droid X the Fascinate is a much better device IMO.
    It was a toss up between the two for me. Like I said though the way the updates have come for the Moto products is crazy
    12-21-10 08:49 AM
    I'm done with Samsung too, and probably with Android altogether.

We're still waiting on an update for the Fascinate. I do think it's a great phone and after having the Droid and Droid X, I think it's much better than those two.

One thing that I notice is the more apps I load onto the (insert Android device here), the more it starts to slow down, act wonky, and use more battery. Things that I never experienced with a BlackBerry or any iPhone that I owned.

Anyways back on topic, Samsung's lack of updates or acknowledgement of when we can expect something has definitely put me off.
    12-22-10 09:31 AM
    Samsung is pretty well known to not exactly have the most stellar support for their devices unfortunately. I knew this well enough going in, first day i got my Vibrant i loaded it up with a custom ROM and haven't worried about anything to be honest.

I see leaked builds from carriers all the time on XDA (JL5 is the latest for the Vibrant in my case, it just came out on the 20th of this month), which means they are actively working on it and its otw. I even read a story saying the Epic 4G is getting its Froyo on starting the 26th just today. Sprint has been riding both their top 2 Android devices hard and its no surprise they want it out ASAP.

Unfortunately for Samsung, they are being hit with the "RIM problem". Thats where Samsung has to be certified by every individual carrier, not only that but it has to run the carrier bloat without issue AND run Samsungs bloat without issue. For the Fascinate it is even worse as its molested with Bing and Microsoft services, expect it to be the last to get Froyo.

Even worse, the Galaxy S is not an exclusive to anyone so there is no rush to get Froyo out. (every carrier exclusive high end Android is running Froyo now, sans Sony Ericsson) Sprint users who bought the Evo (the tech crowd being the early adopters) when it initially launched were begging for Froyo and Sprint hastily pushed it out to combat VZW devices. VZW did the same with Motorola devices, then all their exclusive devices. T-Mobile has been on the ball with Froyo on their exclusive devices. AT&T's Android lineup is miserable so whatever lol.

Also as an aside, why do people complain about a device being "plasticy"? Unless you're running your phone without a case (and if you arent using a case i hope you drop it and it breaks and shatters because you're a ****** for not protecting your investment) it means absolutely nothing, unless the screen was like the Storm.
    Last edited by devildrifterX; 12-22-10 at 11:36 AM.
    12-22-10 11:34 AM
    Samsung is pretty lazy when it comes to after purchase support for such things, I'm actually quite disgusted with them on that front. I'll admit I don't know much about Motorola on other networks, but for what T-Mo offers their products are pure garbage.
    12-22-10 12:38 PM
    had my fascinate since sept and i have to say this device is not up to par with the other vzw ones. samsung is slow with updates and the phone already has its quirks. only reason why i didn't switch back to my X is because i don't have the money at this moment
    12-22-10 12:44 PM
    Samsung is pretty lazy when it comes to after purchase support for such things, I'm actually quite disgusted with them on that front. I'll admit I don't know much about Motorola on other networks, but for what T-Mo offers their products are pure garbage.
    The best Moto devices are on VZW as of right now. AT&T is suppose to get a dual core Moto device as well as VZW. Haven't heard anything about it coming to T-Mobile. You guys are suppose to be getting the LG Optimus 2x, and the LG B is rumored for VZW. Similar devices, but I believe the B has the new second gen retina display and the 2x has something else. All could change when it comes to the US though.
    12-22-10 12:55 PM
    had my fascinate since sept and i have to say this device is not up to par with the other vzw ones. samsung is slow with updates and the phone already has its quirks. only reason why i didn't switch back to my X is because i don't have the money at this moment
    You should have took my trade offer.
    12-22-10 01:01 PM
    I have both, my Fascinate and an X, at the moment. Even with the lack of support, I still prefer the Fascinate.
    12-22-10 02:01 PM
    I'm done with Samsung too, and probably with Android altogether.

We're still waiting on an update for the Fascinate. I do think it's a great phone and after having the Droid and Droid X, I think it's much better than those two.

One thing that I notice is the more apps I load onto the (insert Android device here), the more it starts to slow down, act wonky, and use more battery. Things that I never experienced with a BlackBerry or any iPhone that I owned.

Anyways back on topic, Samsung's lack of updates or acknowledgement of when we can expect something has definitely put me off.
    You might want to swap your X for a non defective model. I have 139 apps on mine and it hasn't slowed down one bit. That's why I'm glad it has 512 mb of RAM to keep it fast.

12-22-10 02:23 PM
    You should have took my trade offer.
    i dont think you would want this device because 1 were on 2.1 2 we only have zip roms 3. were cdma 4. theres no working aosp rom because ril is messed up samsung coded it wrong so without ril theres no working phone
    12-23-10 02:07 AM
    I have both, my Fascinate and an X, at the moment. Even with the lack of support, I still prefer the Fascinate.
    Rhe Fascinate is sweet like I said it was a toss up between the X and the Fasc.
    I would just like to see more updates from Samsung. Especially being a psuedo geek.
    12-23-10 08:09 AM
    i dont think you would want this device because 1 were on 2.1 2 we only have zip roms 3. were cdma 4. theres no working aosp rom because ril is messed up samsung coded it wrong so without ril theres no working phone
    I feel you. No one is trying to port Gingerbread to the Fascinate yet? Can't believe the development is that ****ty.
    12-23-10 10:51 AM
    Rhe Fascinate is sweet like I said it was a toss up between the X and the Fasc.
    I would just like to see more updates from Samsung. Especially being a psuedo geek.
    28 days with the fascinate and I got spooked. I think it is on tracks, but sammy needs to keep up OS wise. Hardware that good on eclair? Sammy.....shame shame.
    12-23-10 11:41 AM
    The best Moto devices are on VZW as of right now. AT&T is suppose to get a dual core Moto device as well as VZW. Haven't heard anything about it coming to T-Mobile. You guys are suppose to be getting the LG Optimus 2x, and the LG B is rumored for VZW. Similar devices, but I believe the B has the new second gen retina display and the 2x has something else. All could change when it comes to the US though.
    They are, but I've looked at these "Droids" (2 & X as well) and am unimpressed. They're higher quality than T-Mo android Motos, for sure, but nothing compared to HTC products, right on par with Samsung plastics. LG is something we just started carrying, actually, thus far we've yet to delve into the deep end, but what I've seen looks promising. We have their Optimus T, and for a low-end android device it's quite nice and well priced. If it were a slight bit larger with higher-end innards/hardware, it'd be hard to beat... well, that and change the color options. LOL!
    12-23-10 11:49 AM
    They are, but I've looked at these "Droids" (2 & X as well) and am unimpressed. They're higher quality than T-Mo android Motos, for sure, but nothing compared to HTC products, right on par with Samsung plastics.
    Right on par with Samsung plastics? What? The Droid X and Droid 2 feel much better than ANY HTC device I have ever used. The Droid 2 and Droid X are praised for their build quality (besides the Droid X's hard buttons, which don't wiggle for me). HTC makes great devices, but the Moto Droid line is right up there with quality.

Compare the Incredible with the Droid X/2, the Incredible feels cheap. I have played with ALL the new HTC devices as well. The Droid X/2 feels just as good if not better.

I will call Moto out where they deserve to be called out (locked down bootloader, ****ty blur software, devices that are oddly shaped), but build quality is one area where Moto shines. Comparing these two devices to Samsung is crazy. Moto devices are tanks. At least the ones on VZW.
    Johnly likes this.
    12-23-10 11:59 AM
56 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD