Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 44
  1. SRR500's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    796 Posts
    Global Posts
    809 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

    Default i accidentilly bought an Android phone and have some questions

    I've been watching several Samsung Acclaims sell on ebay for a while. They always brought more than I was willing to spend. It's the phone I wanted last August but decided to go with my Curve because it was $100 dollars cheaper at the time.

    Anyway I put in a low ball bid on one fully expecting to be instantly out bid but to my surprise I won. (I guess unexpectedly is a better world than accidentally)

    My questions are about email. If I understand correctly, Gmail is pushed to Android phones not polled correct?

    Also, how is html displayed? Are pictures better than on BB. Most of the time I choose to view html messages via the browser because pictures display better and animations work most of the time. Is this the case on Android too or does the inbox show html mail better?

    That's all I can think of right now. I will probably have more questions once I get a chance to play with the phone. Any advice you might have is appreciated.

    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
  2. #2  

    Default

    gmail is push. Yahoo, hotmail via activesync and exchange accounts are also push. Various email apps will address each differently though.

    HTML can be displayed very nicely compared to the BB with its compression

    Hopefully you enjoy the new phone and playing around with it should be fun indeed
    ~Matt
    OnePlus One, Nexus 5, Z10 LE, White Lumia 521, 32GB Nook HD+ & 16GB PB, 32 GB Dell Venue 8 Pro
    @howarmat
  3. ninefall's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    155 Posts
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    #3  

    Default

    Its not instant push like blackberry though. Android has a long ways to go with push email.
  4. #4  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ninefall View Post
    Its not instant push like blackberry though. Android has a long ways to go with push email.
    how is gmail not push?
    ~Matt
    OnePlus One, Nexus 5, Z10 LE, White Lumia 521, 32GB Nook HD+ & 16GB PB, 32 GB Dell Venue 8 Pro
    @howarmat
  5. SRR500's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    796 Posts
    Global Posts
    809 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  

    Default

    Thanks for the replies. I'm looking forward to taking the phone for a spin.

    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
  6. ninefall's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    155 Posts
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    #6  

    Default

    It is push. But every android phone Ive had or been around doesn't get the email right away. Sometimes a flood of email comes in all at once from the last few hours. With a BB, sometimes you get the email before its even in the gmail inbox.
  7. #7  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ninefall View Post
    It is push. But every android phone Ive had or been around doesn't get the email right away. Sometimes a flood of email comes in all at once from the last few hours. With a BB, sometimes you get the email before its even in the gmail inbox.
    must be your devices/coverage, its a race between my berry and incredible to see which one gets gmail first. sometimes its the BB sometimes its the inc. I actually get my hotmail and work email isntantly on my Inc but there is upto a 15 minutes lag since BIS has to poll those accounts so they are not push on my BB
    ~Matt
    OnePlus One, Nexus 5, Z10 LE, White Lumia 521, 32GB Nook HD+ & 16GB PB, 32 GB Dell Venue 8 Pro
    @howarmat
  8. pixel8rberry's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    985 Posts
    PIN
    NO PIN FOR YOU
    #8  

    Default

    WTF ninefall? where did you get the "not instant" part?

    @OP gmail is fine, I don't like that other mailboxes are not push on Android, maybe they will fix it in the future. I like the true HTML email view inside the inbox. You will definitely appreciate richer internet experience.
    Drupal coding in the house tonaaaait, everybody just shut the **** up...
    Everyday I'm programming...


    I own several dead threads, your argument is invalid...

    Pixeldroid Rulez
  9. Accidental Post's Avatar
    Slayer of Misinformation

    Posts
    5,346 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,378 Global Posts
    PIN
    Smartphones are for Smart People
    #9  

    Default

    FYI Ninefall
    BB email is not INSTANT
    BB email 101

    BIS checks the account when it is set up.
    BIS doesnt find email.
    BIS checks back in 15 minutes.
    BIS finds email.
    BIS compresses and sends email to the handheld. (first 2kb of the email)
    BIS checks back for mail in 3 minutes.
    BIS doesnt find mail.
    BIS checks back for mail in 3 minutes.
    BIS finds email.
    BIS compresses and sends email to the handheld. (first 2kb of the email)
    BIS checks back for mail in 3 minutes.
    BIS doesnt find mail.
    BIS checks back for mail in 3 minutes.
    BIS doesnt find mail.
    BIS checks back for mail in 3 minutes.
    BIS doesnt find mail.
    BIS checks back for mail in 3 minutes.
    BIS doesnt find mail.
    BIS checks back for mail in 3 minutes.
    BIS doesnt find mail.
    BIS checks back for mail in 15 minutes.
    and so on and so forth.


    rinse and repeat.
    "Do you want to sell sugar water or do you want to change the world?"

    Steve Jobs to John Sculley the then CEO of Pepsi.

  10. Phill_UK's Avatar
    CrackBerry Wiseguy

    Posts
    12,707 Posts
    Global Posts
    12,723 Global Posts
    #10  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Accidental Post View Post
    FYI Ninefall
    BB email is not INSTANT
    BB email 101
    We all know how BIS works, and it's as near to instant as you're ever gonna get on a phone

    ...but can you explain how 'push' works on an Android? Because Yahoo is far from instant on mine. Infact it's painfully slow compared to my BB.

    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
  11. #11  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Phill_UK View Post
    We all know how BIS works, and it's as near to instant as you're ever gonna get on a phone

    ...but can you explain how 'push' works on an Android? Because Yahoo is far from instant on mine. Infact it's painfully slow compared to my BB.

    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    yahoo has a mail app that you can use for instant email now i think
    ~Matt
    OnePlus One, Nexus 5, Z10 LE, White Lumia 521, 32GB Nook HD+ & 16GB PB, 32 GB Dell Venue 8 Pro
    @howarmat
  12. lssanjose's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    2,151 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,152 Global Posts
    PIN
    lssanjose@gmail.com (Google Talk)
    #12  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by howarmat View Post
    yahoo has a mail app that you can use for instant email now i think
    This, or you can set up K9 with your Yahoo account, and it picks up fine. But I'm finding - for someone like me, it's a memory hog.
    I will never understand these "help me to decide" threads. Grow a pair, or put on your big girl panties (whichever applies), and make the decision that works best for you. - AmazinglyGraceless.
  13. Phill_UK's Avatar
    CrackBerry Wiseguy

    Posts
    12,707 Posts
    Global Posts
    12,723 Global Posts
    #13  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by howarmat View Post
    yahoo has a mail app that you can use for instant email now i think
    That's what I'm using, and it's set to collect by 'push'... but it's still slow as!
    I just wondered how it works?

    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
  14. Johnly's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    3,026 Posts
    Global Posts
    10,714 Global Posts
    #14  

    Default

    I use the Yahoo mail app.....it works great the way I have it set up. Glad Howermat posted.....now I don't have to as everything he said I would just repeat...email is fine on both a BB and Android.
  15. ninefall's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    155 Posts
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    #15  

    Default

    I'm simply just saying I get my email faster with Blackberry than I do with android. Even switched back to BB mostly because of that.
  16. Johnly's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    3,026 Posts
    Global Posts
    10,714 Global Posts
    #16  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ninefall View Post
    I'm simply just saying I get my email faster with Blackberry than I do with android. Even switched back to BB mostly because of that.
    great....I get mine faster on a droid....wow, we both be chillin' now
  17. ninefall's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    155 Posts
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    #17  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by johnly View Post
    great....I get mine faster on a droid....wow, we both be chillin' now
    Any particular reason you're being an *******?
  18. Johnly's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    3,026 Posts
    Global Posts
    10,714 Global Posts
    #18  

    Default

    Your wrong....that's all. We need correct information here so people can be informed. Most users on CB know how email works on Android and a BB. When someone says my email is "pushing faster" it is just incorrect. Gmail servers, Ymail, Hotmail, Corporate, whatever, they all push how the server pushes them. The next player is the network, and your data connection....I used to be a BB head and had a few devices. I now have Android. I wont **** a BB, but I certainly wont watch misinformation get spread either.

    I said we were both chillin' (I though I was being nice) If you come bearing some hard evidence that "Push mail on my device is faulty" I will certainly listen. I have tested Android and BB side by side on this, and they both work. I know, unreal huh? (sarcasm) but it is true, and my BB was BIS so it was slower at times (my a minute) nothing that even constitutes a problem for a BB user on bis. Keep in mind BB users have all there email "re directed through Canadian servers" and this was what made BB so great. It could push everything to your device.

    Nowadays, it is par, and iOS, Android, Win7 all push well too. I don't think it is worth getting upset about, and I am fine you "think" your BB has faster push email. Heck, I will even agree with you so you are satisfied and win this debate lol. But for the rest of us, and people trying to learn, placebos just don't make good frame work for arguments I think. OK, I am listening as to why BB is pushing better than my device, but I have gone rounds with this before, and it always ends up with encyclopedia links, and technology reads.....and then people find out BBs are actually a little slow to push because of the route their email must take. Lets not go there, just be happy that your BB works and pushes email for you.
    Thanked by 4:
    .cw54o (01-18-2011),  infamyx (01-19-2011),  reeneebob (01-17-2011) 
  19. lssanjose's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    2,151 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,152 Global Posts
    PIN
    lssanjose@gmail.com (Google Talk)
    #19  

    Default

    Just food for thought (thin-skinned regarding this need not apply): Blackberry servers compress their data. Particularly, on the email front, they truncate it for BIS users. However, data on other platforms isn't compressed. Granted, you have to account for the amount of time required to compress items in question. One pushes things quicker because they shrink things to fit the pipe, the other can just shove it through. So, which one is faster? Or rather, which approach is more effective, or efficient?
    I will never understand these "help me to decide" threads. Grow a pair, or put on your big girl panties (whichever applies), and make the decision that works best for you. - AmazinglyGraceless.
  20. ninefall's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    155 Posts
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    #20  

    Default

    I don't plan on arguing at all. And you're right, maybe me saying it "pushed faster" was an incorrect term. However, when I had my Droid X, I consistently got my gmail later than my blackberry. Was it the device? Maybe. But my girl friend has the same issue with her Fascinate. Was it the gmail push bug and bad timing? Could be. Not getting my email instantly back in November cost me $1000 in a sale so I immediately switched back to my 8330. I'm a little bit bitter I guess.
  21. Johnly's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    3,026 Posts
    Global Posts
    10,714 Global Posts
    #21  

    Default

    Did you use a task killer app? Those always interrupt data connections, and Juice defender does too, and some other apps. If you avoid those, there is no reason Google's OS won't push email fine. I read all the time about people using apps to save on this and that, and jack up the OS.
  22. ninefall's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    155 Posts
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    #22  

    Default

    Nope, Im anti task killer. I actually read up on things quite a bit. I like to mod stuff, but i never got to that point with my droid even having it for 4 months. There was a gmail push bug though, and maybe that contributed to the slowness of it. Sad really, other than the poor email delivery and the fact I cant type on a touchscreen, I really miss that phone.
  23. Johnly's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    3,026 Posts
    Global Posts
    10,714 Global Posts
    #23  

    Default

    I have never had a poor email experience on Android. I have owned several devices for a couple of years. Oh well, good luck.
  24. ninefall's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    155 Posts
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    #24  

    Default

    Thanks. I plan to give android another shot. Maybe with the Thunderbolt. We'll see.
  25. jd914's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    3,272 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,377 Global Posts
    #25  

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by johnly View Post
    Your wrong....that's all. We need correct information here so people can be informed. Most users on CB know how email works on Android and a BB. When someone says my email is "pushing faster" it is just incorrect. Gmail servers, Ymail, Hotmail, Corporate, whatever, they all push how the server pushes them. The next player is the network, and your data connection....I used to be a BB head and had a few devices. I now have Android. I wont **** a BB, but I certainly wont watch misinformation get spread either.

    I said we were both chillin' (I though I was being nice) If you come bearing some hard evidence that "Push mail on my device is faulty" I will certainly listen. I have tested Android and BB side by side on this, and they both work. I know, unreal huh? (sarcasm) but it is true, and my BB was BIS so it was slower at times (my a minute) nothing that even constitutes a problem for a BB user on bis. Keep in mind BB users have all there email "re directed through Canadian servers" and this was what made BB so great. It could push everything to your device.

    Nowadays, it is par, and iOS, Android, Win7 all push well too. I don't think it is worth getting upset about, and I am fine you "think" your BB has faster push email. Heck, I will even agree with you so you are satisfied and win this debate lol. But for the rest of us, and people trying to learn, placebos just don't make good frame work for arguments I think. OK, I am listening as to why BB is pushing better than my device, but I have gone rounds with this before, and it always ends up with encyclopedia links, and technology reads.....and then people find out BBs are actually a little slow to push because of the route their email must take. Lets not go there, just be happy that your BB works and pushes email for you.
    You are the voice of reason, that was a great post. I agree on the part of misinformation being given to those looking for the right answers. FYI all my email is pushed instantly. Push email is no longer Blackberrys one trick pony.
    Last edited by JD914; 01-17-2011 at 12:54 PM.
    Thanked by:
    Johnly (01-17-2011) 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions